Background apps

Marko Marjanovic

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
Long story short, i got very confused about battery saver options in windows 10. In 8.1 you could filter apps by usage and background precent..and mostly they were 3Rd party apps; now we got more options like background for phone, alarm, glance and other basic phone features-(I don't say it's bad, but confusing.. for me atleast).
What will happen if i disable litteraly everything from background, will my phone turn into brick? Will my alarm not ring, will my glance stoped working..phone (like calling) too? As far i know, when someone disable 6tag for example, app stop updating if you are not using it..it's kinda obvious that if you disable messages you won't get any. That confuse me alot.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Long story short, i got very confused about battery saver options in windows 10. In 8.1 you could filter apps by usage and background precent..and mostly they were 3Rd party apps; now we got more options like background for phone, alarm, glance and other basic phone features-(I don't say it's bad, but confusing.. for me atleast).
What will happen if i disable litteraly everything from background, will my phone turn into brick? Will my alarm not ring, will my glance stoped working..phone (like calling) too? As far i know, when someone disable 6tag for example, app stop updating if you are not using it..it's kinda obvious that if you disable messages you won't get any. That confuse me alot.

Obvious. If you disable Messages you don't receive anymore sms, if you disable Phone you'll see only numbers on calls, not contacts, etc. You'll get an early 2000's gsm phone :)

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
If this is serious, why would microsoft include this for they users?
What if my dad start ,,explore" his phone and end with a 500€ brick on table??

As the desktop o.s. you can finely tune your phone according your use, like an advanced user. I'ts more powerful of a simple AirPlane or Ecomode key on screen ;)

Marko Marjanovic

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
I see and i agree about tuning your phone according personal use.. but what bothers me is that some basic features like alarm are included without some kind of protection, option to enable, warring about dissable basic features etc..

PS. I want to disable all possible apps becasue *insert something*, but i want my phone to wake me up next morning. :(

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I see and i agree about tuning your phone according personal use.. but what bothers me is that some basic features like alarm are included without some kind of protection, option to enable, warring about dissable basic features etc..

PS. I want to disable all possible apps becasue *insert something*, but i want my phone to wake me up next morning. :(

My phone wakes me everyday since 2 years ;) simply left Alarm always on

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Have you actually tried playing with the settings and see what the effect is?

If you disable background tasks on the alarm app, it doesn't disable the alarms. I don't know what background tasks it does, but it certainly doesn't block the functionality. Also try this with the phone/messaging apps - I bet you won't see any difference at all.

It doesn't really take much effort to experiment with the settings a little before you assume that the phone will become a brick when all background tasks are disabled...

Marko Marjanovic

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
It doesn't really take much effort to experiment with the settings a little before you assume that the phone will become a brick when all background tasks are disabled...

You are right, i usualy do something before make an a opinion..but in this case i'm super sceptical. Last time i played with options was on backup phone and i was on vacation so emails, alarm and..everything else basiclly was not inportant. I had problem with not detecting my sim card and sounds was muted but i didn't care and flash it all over till i fix it. This time is different. I sold my backup 1520 and all i left is 830 with 8.1 wich i hate in compared with 10. That's why i got into insider .63 and not touching anything haha
*my fault*

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
In 8.0 you could know what was the "background" part of an app (if the developer compiled that description) so you knew what you were disabling, 8.1 was 5 step backward and windows 10 only 2

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Have you actually tried playing with the settings and see what the effect is?

If you disable background tasks on the alarm app, it doesn't disable the alarms. I don't know what background tasks it does, but it certainly doesn't block the functionality. Also try this with the phone/messaging apps - I bet you won't see any difference at all.

If you disable background for messaging, you will still receive sms, but you wont get a notification.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo