What is the deal with Skype + Messaging?

Y2HBK

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I cannot get messaging to send skype texts for the life of me. Ive gone through the skype setup. I have the skype desktop app. Ive tried without the skype desktop app. I have tried finding someone through the "+" button in messaging and clicking on skype message in the people app. All of these will work but the second I send the message the message says "cant send." This happens on every PC I have except 1 and I had to go through the same thing - hours of trial and error to get it to work.

What is the magical secret that I am am missing? I can make calls and video calls fine from the Messaging app but it wont send a damn message no matter what I try. I've even reset my whole system and started over.

Last edited:

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It's inconsistent for me too.... Some people I can, some people I can't. LIke previously I linked skype contacts with outlook that contact phone number and those seem ok.... but new one I added today doesn't show up anywhere to skype message!

This new contact I have is outlook and with cell# and email. They use that email for skype for business and I'm chatting online desktop app with him fine but nothing in messaging app. When search this contact in my people app, I only see the outlook contact, no microsoft message contact or skype contact of this person.

*shrugs*

Y2HBK

May 16, 2013
Visit site
It's inconsistent for me too.... Some people I can, some people I can't. LIke previously I linked skype contacts with outlook that contact phone number and those seem ok.... but new one I added today doesn't show up anywhere to skype message!

This new contact I have is outlook and with cell# and email. They use that email for skype for business and I'm chatting online desktop app with him fine but nothing in messaging app. When search this contact in my people app, I only see the outlook contact, no microsoft message contact or skype contact of this person.

*shrugs*

What I dont get is why I get all my messages from skype in the app fine; I can call and video call the same person from within the app, but texts just wont go through with the immediate "couldnt send" error. Doesnt matter if I am running 1511 or the latest 11099 Insider Build.

Like I said, I had this working on my Surface at one point but had to screw with it for hours it seemed. I think I remembered having to use the "add friends to skype" option in the app, but now all that does is send the person an email asking them to download skype for desktop. I did a factory reset on my surface book due to some issues I had and since then just cant get it working. Texting from the messaging app working like a champ though on W10M.

Anyone else have this issue and any suggestions on how to fix? As a Mac user for the past 10 years or so I was really excited to use this as Microsoft's answer to iMessage. Not a fan of native skype for desktop with all its garbage ads.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site

*shrugs*

Curiosity sake, you mentioned Skype for Business, do other contacts work? I wasn't aware that Skype for Business worked, just normal Skype.

dajma00

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't Skype send SMS via paid plan? To send SMS via your phone use Cortana, not Skype. Though it would be nice to have that feature enabled through Skype rather than Cortana.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Curiosity sake, you mentioned Skype for Business, do other contacts work? I wasn't aware that Skype for Business worked, just normal Skype.

Yea other normal skype contacts work but I haven't tried a new skype contact lately or anything.

Skype for business guy added me ok to the my skype home ok... So we did chat via skype app but not messaging app

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't Skype send SMS via paid plan? To send SMS via your phone use Cortana, not Skype. Though it would be nice to have that feature enabled through Skype rather than Cortana.

The messaging app send sms via your sim card. Contacts with skype or messaging account or something allows messaging app to send skype message instead of sms in the same conversation if desired...

As far as I understand it! :)

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
On a Windows phone you have the choice to send SMS (Called Sim texts in the app) to contacts who can accept SMS, or you can send Skype IM's to people with Skype set up in your contacts.

For me on my PC I can only send IM's via Skype as the PC messaging app doesn't have the link to your phone to send SMS that Cortana does yet (But I believe it is coming).

If you go settings "Add friends on Skype it should show you all your contacts who also have Skype accounts that are not already in your Skype/messaging contacts and you should be able to click them to add them to the list of people you can send IM's to after they accept your request, there is a separate option to "Invite others via email"

One other option is to kill the adds in Skype, buy some credits, use Skype to send one SMS per every six months and you have Skype ADVERT FREE for a few pennies per year.

To the OP, I haven't ever had any issues on desktop. Surface Pro 3 or HP Stream and my wife is working well on a laptop and Surface Pro.

I did have an initial problem on my desktop only, until an update a month or so ago, no issues since then.

Last edited:

rahul.sharma

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so Windows Mobile and Skype integration is still years behind if you compare it to Android + Google Voice. I was long time Windows Phone user from Dell Venue Pro days...but left Windows Phone last year and got the Galaxy Note 4 (seriously what a relief).
Before anyone start shouting here, I am a core Microsoft fan with all MS stuff except Mobile Phone. I also has Skype paid subscription to Call / SMS phones, also has Skype number.
So, in short, you still cant send SMS/Text using your Skype number, right? And I am damn sure you cannot call phones using your Skype subscriptions and number, right?
I will leave Android + Google Voice once this done..until then just keeping an eye and playing with Lumia 925 Windows Phone 10 build :)

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
And I am damn sure you cannot call phones using your Skype subscriptions and number, right?

This one I have been using a while. I have 60min skype subscription with the office 365 home. I load up the skype app from my phone and can call using the skype dial pad.

Is that what you mean? I also set my skype caller ID to my cellphone # so it still looks like it's coming from my cell#. what number is shown is all set up in your skype profile I think?

rahul.sharma

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
This one I have been using a while. I have 60min skype subscription with the office 365 home. I load up the skype app from my phone and can call using the skype dial pad.

Is that what you mean? I also set my skype caller ID to my cellphone # so it still looks like it's coming from my cell#. what number is shown is all set up in your skype profile I think?
Actually, I wasnt talking about the Skype app but native OS experience. One should be able to dial phones using standard phone dialer where you can choose if you want cellular call or Skype call.
Same for SMS/text, we should be able to use standard message app to send text via Skype .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos