Can't Install Office 365

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
So this sucks. I'm on the Insider Ring using the latest build on my Lumia 930. But when I try to install 365 on my phone it tells me that it is incompatible with my OS. I tap the button that says install anyway, the Setup file downloads to my phone, but won't open or install. I keep getting: "Launch file Something went wrong. Could not launch file."

After waiting for a call back the MS phone help tech had no idea why I'm getting the Incompatible message, said he'd transfer me over to someone else and of course....dropped the connection. or what to do to get Office.

Meanwhile I can't edit or save Word files on my phone

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
So this sucks. I'm on the Insider Ring using the latest build on my Lumia 930. But when I try to install 365 on my phone it tells me that it is incompatible with my OS. I tap the button that says install anyway, the Setup file downloads to my phone, but won't open or install. I keep getting: "Launch file Something went wrong. Could not launch file."

After waiting for a call back the MS phone help tech had no idea why I'm getting the Incompatible message, said he'd transfer me over to someone else and of course....dropped the connection. or what to do to get Office.

Are you sure you are downloadin the right apps? word, excel, etc. You must have already them icluded in build in your phone, check for store updates!, you have only to add your subscription or free account.
Everyone here uses office free or subscribed on his phone

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site

The Office Apps are in the store

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I understand, guys. I was not talking about Word included in most Windows phones or available in the App Store. I was talking about Office 365. That is not in the App Store but available by yearly subscription. The necessary file was/is the downloadable setup file for Office 365. In my Microsoft Account, Office 365 was shown as registered to my PC and my son's PC (your allowed 5 PCs) but it was not shown on my phone.

After a second phone call and a few more attempts to download and some jiggering around I think I may have gotten it working now. But I won't be sure until I get to the PC I have at home with Office 365 and play with creating a document and seeing if I can edit on my phone.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I understand, guys. I was not talking about Word included in most Windows phones or available in the App Store. I was talking about Office 365. That is not in the App Store but available by yearly subscription. The necessary file was/is the downloadable setup file for Office 365. In my Microsoft Account, Office 365 was shown as registered to my PC and my son's PC (your allowed 5 PCs) but it was not shown on my phone.

After a second phone call and a few more attempts to download and some jiggering around I think I may have gotten it working now. But I won't be sure until I get to the PC I have at home with Office 365 and play with creating a document and seeing if I can edit on my phone.

That is not the way it works on the phones. You download the apps and sign into O365 via the Apps. If even tells you on the O365 installation page how to get the Apps for your smartphone or tablet.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
You should be able to create and edit Word docs on your phone without an Office 365 subscription.

Yes, I know. The Office applications that come bundled with the phone or are downloadable from the Windows store are supposed to allow you to edit and save documents created in Office Applications whether the document was created Office installed from a CD or from Office 365. And in fact, I was always able to do that with no trouble in the past, until a just few days ago when I was away on a business trip and suddenly got the message that I needed Office 365 in order to edit and save a document sent to me.

BTW, if you have an Office 365 Subscription and go to My Account on Office.com, it will tell you that you can install Office on 5 PCs or Macs, 5 tablets, and 5 smartphones. I downloaded the setup file to my phone but was not able to install it. I got the message that it was not compatible.

My best guess is that my problem was related somehow to the latest Windows Mobile Build (10.0.10586.63). However I've somehow managed to fix the problem today, and can now edit and save Word documents from e-mail or OneDrive on my phone. I'm still not entirely sure what happened or how I fixed it.

MP3Mike

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
The only Office apps for Windows 10 Mobile are the ones in the app store. You can't install the downloaded O365 that is intended for PCs.

As far as saying you can install O365 on 5 smartphones, I think that they are mainly referring to iOS/Android.

The only time you need a O365 subscription on Windows 10 Mobile is if you are using the apps via Continuum. (What you are hitting is a bug, some people say removing/reinstalling the apps fixes, other report logging out/in to their O365 account fixes it.)

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I know. The Office applications that come bundled with the phone or are downloadable from the Windows store are supposed to allow you to edit and save documents created in Office Applications whether the document was created Office installed from a CD or from Office 365. And in fact, I was always able to do that with no trouble in the past, until a just few days ago when I was away on a business trip and suddenly got the message that I needed Office 365 in order to edit and save a document sent to me.

BTW, if you have an Office 365 Subscription and go to My Account on Office.com, it will tell you that you can install Office on 5 PCs or Macs, 5 tablets, and 5 smartphones. I downloaded the setup file to my phone but was not able to install it. I got the message that it was not compatible.

My best guess is that my problem was related somehow to the latest Windows Mobile Build (10.0.10586.63). However I've somehow managed to fix the problem today, and can now edit and save Word documents from e-mail or OneDrive on my phone. I'm still not entirely sure what happened or how I fixed it.

where did you get an office 365 app for windows mobile?

There has been a bug with the word, excel and ppt apps where they were asking you to sign in to your office 365 account every time when you wanted to edit any docs. But that goes away by reinstalling the word, excel and ppt apps.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
@Chintan, I didn't get an Office Mobile version, although I tried based on what I read at the 365 site. But although the file will download it didn't/doesn't install. I now think everyone else here is correct: when using Win Mobile 10 you just use the included Office Apps on the phone. Of course, that didn't work for me at first, for a day or two, which was what led to this post. But it all does seem to be working well enough now.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
@Chintan, I didn't get an Office Mobile version, although I tried based on what I read at the 365 site. But although the file will download it didn't/doesn't install. I now think everyone else here is correct: when using Win Mobile 10 you just use the included Office Apps on the phone. Of course, that didn't work for me at first, for a day or two, which was what led to this post. But it all does seem to be working well enough now.

You're welcome..
Go to store on your phone. Search for each of these apps: word, excel and powerpoint. Install

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb