Is WM10 Insider Preview ok for daily use?

avengerxp

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
re: Is WM10 stable enough for daily use?

640 user here on latetst w10M insider build - running it on my daily driver. (insider fast).... here is my 2cents.

UI - polished and smooth but unfinished touches here n there

Performance - Smooth and less crashes

battery life - my phone used to last more than 24 hours (when i remove it from a full charge at morning 6, the battery would be around 30-40 around 10 pm on a normal day with windows 8.1). With windows 10 the battery reaches 20% around 8 in the evening.

this is with 4G on, whatsapp running, syncing 3 email accounts. FB messenger running etc..

so far so good. but definitely it needs to improve and will take some time to reach the stability of 8.1

After all it's still beta and we cant complain, but be grateful !

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site

Agreed, I've just started running it on a 640 XL and I actually like it! I did try W10 on a 630 but the phone wasn't really up to it.

It's so good I'm going to use it to replace my 930 as my daily driver for the time being. As this is a new phone I can't comment about battery life.....but coming from a 930 it will be better!!

ML10

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site

I really don't have an issue with installing just I don't want to hard reset.@zazonion did you?

Marius Edoardo

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site

I've lives with w10 since August and 4 upgrades without hard reset with a Lumia 535 and always work very well, now, you have better specs so...I think you should enjoin this upgrade

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

Several resets and rollbacks on 2 devices here.
My 1020 (on preview builds) has been very uncooperative on various incursions of 10.
The latest .122 is better as of today...I have a hard time trusting the updates since things for me go down hill after the updates.
I do so much wish I could find out why after time on an older device running WM10 slides into dysfunction :/

My Alcatel Fierce (not on insider) has been better on .107 yet a few features that should be there aren't for some odd reason.
Time will tell I guess.

AzlanAU

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site

Ive been using windows 10 on my 1520 for probly 7 or 8 months now, and the phone itself is fairly stable, my only problem has been battery life which went from 2 days to half a day, we'll see if the latest update is any better, but my phone also dies at random points, says like 40-60% battery then just dies and when turned back on its only got 2 percent etc. really annoying. but the software side itself ive been pretty okay with since the last build or 2.

FiJPM

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site

Been using W10M on my primary L930 now for three weeks - now I have the latest build and no glitches. I got also tired of waiting ;)

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

The latest 10586.122 build has some battery improvements up it's sleeve which did show yesterday. Regardless, the 640 runs great on the new build. I hardly see any crashes (especially the settings menu and store on resume) on it as compared to my 1520. It may be due to the newer firmware on it. My question would be to get enrolled in the slow ring (fast ring is reserved for WM10 launch devices for now) and download the latest update. Worst case you can always revert back to 8.1 as others have pointed.

Cruachan 11

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site

Experiences are varying wildly, even for people on the same device and build, so it's very hard to say what will happen for you.

I haven't hard reset on the last 2 builds (Running 122 on a Lumia 925) and haven't had issues, but (IMO) your first upgrade to 10 from 8.1 probably will require a hard reset because some apps are removed and some replaced with W10M specific versions. My phone was pretty much unusable from first upgrade until I hard reset.

zrmaster

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site

Hello,
I have a Lumia 640 DS and went insider because i waited long enough... :winktongue:
I got mine in July last year as a gift. I was android user before 640. I had a long list of Nokia's in the past ( from 3310 to C7 with belle OS :) )
I was really satisfied with 8.1 and enjoyed using it ! ! Never worried about app gap, because i don't need much of that, just a basic set ( facebook , viber, skype and office stuff )
But, i was waiting for W10 like all of you, that was one big reason for me switching to windows.
I started believing in rumors , November, December, January, February... and i had it! ( Was checking Windows Central daily :grincry: )
Went insider yesterday.
So ... My opinion on W10... ( I joined in Release/Preview Ring (slowest and safest) and got .107)
IT IS EPIC! 640 is made for this! Actually, my phone works better... :shocked:
I read about all problems other people have/had and i have none of it... It is really new level...
But, you have to do it right to work like that.
First , i did hard reset before joining insider then updated.
After update to win10 phone things were awful! random reboots, apps crashing, in one word , i wanted to throw my phone at the wall.
Then i tried to do one more hard reset before rollback to 8.1 aaaaaaand it was reborn, new OS completely ! Everything works! No crashes no reboots, it just works! *No resuming screen also*
Double tap to wake works well, store is a bit slower ( in 8.1 also was :grin: ) , edge is ok, maybe a little tweaks needed ( hell, IE was worse ) better web page rendering and loading, camera works great, flashlight works :grin: ...
Store updated 28 apps after hard reset with no problems, both connections work ( Mobile data and WiFi ) no data leaks from mobile network.
Facebook app works, Viber works, Outlook mail sync works , Calendar is ok and syncs with Facebook, reminders work, alarms work...
So do you update/enroll ? yes , go for it , there is also a small possibility of risk, but i personally think that other than maybe one or two resets or app crashes not much can happen.
Battery, i almost forgot, it is EPIC! OK, so , Skype, Facebook, Viber, E mail in background with some use and with 3-4 phone calls, 10-15 sms, viber calls and msgs, 10-15 min gaming , wifi on all the time my battery dropped from 100 % ( 8 am ) to 66 % ( 7 pm ). I am shocked! It works better.
In the end : RESET, UPDATE, RESET !
* again, this is for Lumia 640 and i dont know how will work on other Lumias *

Sorry for long post. if u have any questions fill free to ask.

trivishal

May 1, 2015
Visit site
wow this is the most BS drivel I have ever read... you should not Reply to posts buddy. seriously!

Being on Insiders preview builds on your main device, and your phone hangs in the middle of your work or your smartphone battery dies within few hours after fully charging it and you feel like messed and your connectivity is lost, then you would understand why not to install insiders build on your main device.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
something must be wonky with your phone, because mine is working flawlessly being on insiders and everything.... no reboots no hangs and my battery lasts 2 days on a single charge... also where did you come up with being on insider voids your warranty? that's nonsense along with all the other stuff you posted in your post that I replied to... sorry but you couldn't be furthest from the truth and misinformed!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

So is this new build good enough for the plunge??

I put a 640 on Insider Release and ran 10586.122 for like 2 weeks. I'm using it daily and it feels solid. The .164 is just out. Not sure how to get a solid impression so soon.

I'd say if you run the Release ring you'll be fine. I have a 1520 on 8.1 and I'm really not in a rush to get back to it. (Although I do pick it up to take pics sometimes - that's waaaay more to do with the camera module than the OS version.)

Mind you I went the whole no restore from backup and Hard Rest after upgrade. Set up everything manually.

It's kinda exhausting, but probably worth while if you are going to stick with it on a daily driver.

ML10

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site

I put a 640 on Insider Release and ran 10586.122 for like 2 weeks. I'm using it daily and it feels solid. The .164 is just out. Not sure how to get a solid impression so soon.

I'd say if you run the Release ring you'll be fine. I have a 1520 on 8.1 and I'm really not in a rush to get back to it. (Although I do pick it up to take pics sometimes - that's waaaay more to do with the camera module than the OS version.)

Mind you I went the whole no restore from backup and Hard Rest after upgrade. Set up everything manually.

It's kinda exhausting, but probably worth while if you are going to stick with it on a daily driver.

Considering its being considered a release candidate (got that from windows central) is a hard reset necessary since most 8.1 users will not want to do all that.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Considering its being considered a release candidate (got that from windows central) is a hard reset necessary since most 8.1 users will not want to do all that.

It's a major version change. You make the call.

But also look at the forums and see all the anecdotal evidence about Hard Reset smoothing out the experience. If you're going to use the device daily after upgrade, don't you want to start out in the best possible position?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

P.S.: On computing devices, clean install (which is what upgrade, Hard Rest, no restore will do) has always trumped anything else for system health and stability. That's not changed anywhere so far as I've learned.

ML10

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site

P.S.: On computing devices, clean install (which is what upgrade, Hard Rest, no restore will do) has always trumped anything else for system health and stability. That's not changed anywhere so far as I've learned.

I totally get you, and the hard reset would be best. I'll think about it. If the release is this month, no point.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo