Battery usage and Subjectivity

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I've been perusing the TP threads, both .63 and .71 and the battery use varies from good to bad.

Please, correct me, if I am wrong, but surely battery performance is a subjective issue. Number of charge cycles, how the battery is charged, original 'conditioning' of battery, the battery 'memory' ,temperature, age of cell and obviously, how much you have running, and whether the battery is run completely flat often, affecting the chemistry within the cell.

I don't get how people report such a vast difference, unless as listed, it's down to the above. I use 18650 li-ion batts in my vaping device, and after many charges they do drop off, performance wise and length of time. But even these are affected by temp, and how your coil is wound to achieve a decent ohm resistance and the amp hour of the battery. One thing I do know, they go bang quite well if you were misuse them :)

Am I barking up the wrong tree, with regards to batteries?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I've been perusing the TP threads, both .63 and .71 and the battery use varies from good to bad.

Please, correct me, if I am wrong, but surely battery performance is a subjective issue. Number of charge cycles, how the battery is charged, original 'conditioning' of battery, the battery 'memory' ,temperature, age of cell and obviously, how much you have running, and whether the battery is run completely flat often, affecting the chemistry within the cell.

I don't get how people report such a vast difference, unless as listed, it's down to the above.

all these do affect but you have to remember that people follow general patterns of use. We don't follow different patterns of use for 8.1 and for W10M.

If I used to spend 15 minutes using whatsapp on 8.1 on 2G and battery would drop from 100 to 92%, that's okay.
If now using the same app on the same 2G network for 15 minutes will bring the battery down from 100% to 84% on W10M.

So battery for me has taken a hit.

I can bring back battery life to be almost like 8.1 levels by hard resetting but the downside is slow messages syncing and losing one app that I don't want to lose

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

I don't get how people report such a vast difference, unless as listed, it's down to the above.

Messaging via cell or wifi data drains battery same as a divorced wife! Urgent better Whatsapp, Messages etc. apps updates

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
So, it is the above along with usage, so it is fairly subjective then? I know that the early TP's were heavy on battery, but the last couple don't give me the degradation. I have it running on several devices, a 950 down to an old school 1320, with a 930 and 640 in between. None of which have issues. I am aware of the 2, 3 and 4G power differentials', and what a marked difference they can draw on a battery. I was just interested as to why people with the same devices, on the same continent were having such a vast difference in performance. Gotta go, phone needs charging. Honest, it does :D

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
So, it is the above along with usage, so it is fairly subjective then? I know that the early TP's were heavy on battery, but the last couple don't give me the degradation. I have it running on several devices, a 950 down to an old school 1320, with a 930 and 640 in between. None of which have issues. I am aware of the 2, 3 and 4G power differentials', and what a marked difference they can draw on a battery. I was just interested as to why people with the same devices, on the same continent were having such a vast difference in performance. Gotta go, phone needs charging. Honest, it does :D

someone did mention different frequency spectrums as one possible reason for high battery usage
Another could be because the same phone could have different firmwares eg my 1020 is on cyan firmware but for Europeans, their 1020s are on denim firmware

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Of course the other issue I forgot to mention was the continual frequency changes going on during the day, for example, a vast majority of networks drop to 3G/2G/edge for calls, then switch back to 4G for data purposes. I guess this would have some effect on battery as well. I still feel it is a subjective matter now that .71 is so stable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs