Turn off phone

nailzer

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Do you guys ever just turn off your phone ?

Just like humans, laptops and computers also like a little down time (I know I do).

I have found my phone is working quite well after windows 10, but I do give it a rest, I turn it off quite often (I don't want to be available 24/7).

Turning your phone off gives everything a rest and time for everything to cool down (just like us).

Then after a good sleep and a reboot it gets the chance to restart, gather it's thoughts (after discarding all the crap and temporary stuff stored all day/night) and start nice and fresh (just like us mere humans having a good nights sleep)

Surely you don't want your phone to rule your life 24/7, so how about giving it a rest?

Maybe give you time to also have a rest, without being disturbed by your phone.

It may sound a bit Zen ......... but aren't you worth it?

Vishca

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't switch of as such, but do allow the battery to drain flat when is convenient to do so, as this improves battery life. If I need alarm i set one on my band.

marpamcy

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
Do you guys ever just turn off your phone ?

Just like humans, laptops and computers also like a little down time (I know I do).

I have found my phone is working quite well after windows 10, but I do give it a rest, I turn it off quite often (I don't want to be available 24/7).

Turning your phone off gives everything a rest and time for everything to cool down (just like us).

Then after a good sleep and a reboot it gets the chance to restart, gather it's thoughts (after discarding all the crap and temporary stuff stored all day/night) and start nice and fresh (just like us mere humans having a good nights sleep)

Surely you don't want your phone to rule your life 24/7, so how about giving it a rest?

Maybe give you time to also have a rest, without being disturbed by your phone.

It may sound a bit Zen ......... but aren't you worth it?

good idea. I will turn on my smartphone mobile device only when i want to make a phone call, and then back Off. I am sure the battery will last a week or more..... in your face apple and android users

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Isn't that a misconception?
That is correct.

"Similar to a mechanical device that wears out faster with heavy use, so also does the depth of discharge (DoD) determine the cycle count. The shorter the discharge (low DoD), the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid full discharges and charge the battery more often between uses. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine. There is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles to prolong life. The exception may be a periodic calibration of the fuel gauge on a smart battery or intelligent device. (See*BU-701a: How to Calibrate Batteries)" http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site

Drivel.

Computers, laptops and phones are not like humans at all. They are just machines: silicon, plastic, copper and so on. They don't "like" anything, because they can't feel emotions or have opinions.

There is a legitimate view that some OSs have, in the past, benefited from occasional reboots (due to less-than-perfect resource management). No modern OS is designed to require regular reboots, and provided the resource management is working correctly, they don't need reboots except for major patches and upgrades.

Our human need for "down time" is one thing, but it certainly has no analogue in the world of electronics. Most electronic equipment lasts longest if left permanently powered up (because it avoids the temperature cycling you get when switching it on and off).

triageatdawn

May 31, 2015
Visit site
and pray none of your family ever have an emergency and need to contact you at night.

We live under the same roof so I don't see why would they need a phone to contact me. No one's gonna get into trouble just because I turn my daily driver off at night. Thanks for your concern. Cheers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills