Turn off phone

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Mine stays on 24/7. Under 8.1 it lasted weeks between restarts (the camera would periodically go wrong and require a restart). Under 10, probably 1-2 weeks currently before either an OS update or needing some TLC from a reboot.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I rarely do, and usually if I turn it off, I turn it back on instantly. In fact, my phone has been on for a week now pretty much.

sikurunana

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
I use Quite Hours in my phone in the night daily, and the whole day during weekends; therefore no need of switching it off. That's quite annoying for me to do.

Quite Hours is one of the best features in WP. :)

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't switch of as such, but do allow the battery to drain flat when is convenient to do so, as this improves battery life. If I need alarm i set one on my band.

Be sure to take note of what others have indicated about that. This is misinformation - it doesn't improve battery life, in fact it worsens it. See post#15 and post#16 for more info. This applies to all Li-ion and Li-polymer batteries.

nailzer

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Interesting replies, I just like to have some "down time", when I don't want to be contacted and don't want to be disturbed, it's interesting to see people are switched on 24/7, when do you sleep, when do you have private time?

I find mobile phones have really screwed with the world and real time communication (no matter how convenient) people walking the streets oblivious to others (and traffic) ... and "I" am the one that has to avoid collision because "you" are so engrossed in your conversation that "I" have to take responsibility for your actions.

Apparently there is no such thing as a private conversation anymore, people readily tell anyone on the train/bus.street what is happening in their lives. My way to combat this in public is when someone starts chatting away on their phone in front of me, I just join in the conversation (obviously it's not private) I give them advice (yes, buy the blue shirt), (yes take a bottle of red instead of white for dinner tonight), "yep" get rid of that flatmate ....... "I really think you should go for that new job"..... "aaaaw, I'm so sorry your mum is sick".
I remember PHONE BOOTHS, for privacy, now it seems nobody is interested in privacy and no matter what they are doing ..... IF THAT PHONE RINGS ..... you drop everything and answer it, even if it's just to say "SORRY, I CAN'T TALK RIGHT NOW" ...... go figure.

You can't turn your phone off for a couple of hours ....... sheeesh, seems everyone has an excuse to be available 24/7.

I'm so thankful I'm not that needy.

When out for dinner I ask everyone to place their phones face down (just for fun) the first person that picks up their phone pays the bill, needless to say, I have had quite a few free dinners.
It seems manners have gone out the window too ........

Marko Marjanovic

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
I don't turn my phone off, sometimes when my camera or app get into ,,loading/resuming" limbo i do soft restart. But i do use airplane mode quite offten; when i sleep and when i want to be alone.

triageatdawn

May 31, 2015
Visit site
Mom, dad, brother, sister, friends in need, drunk friends, Adele "Hello"..... anyone can call during the night

Like I said I always turn my daily driver off before going to bed, meaning my backup phones will still be on if their battery isn't dead. My family is with me in the same house and none of us work the night shift. If there is a reason to leave it on during the night, I will do so. I can evaluate my own thoughts, plans and actions for myself. Turning off my 830 before taking a nap doesn't make me an inconsiderate person. I don't see what's the freaking problem here.

Interesting replies, I just like to have some "down time", when I don't want to be contacted and don't want to be disturbed, it's interesting to see people are switched on 24/7, when do you sleep, when do you have private time?

I find mobile phones have really screwed with the world and real time communication (no matter how convenient) people walking the streets oblivious to others (and traffic) ... and "I" am the one that has to avoid collision because "you" are so engrossed in your conversation that "I" have to take responsibility for your actions.

Apparently there is no such thing as a private conversation anymore, people readily tell anyone on the train/bus.street what is happening in their lives. My way to combat this in public is when someone starts chatting away on their phone in front of me, I just join in the conversation (obviously it's not private) I give them advice (yes, buy the blue shirt), (yes take a bottle of red instead of white for dinner tonight), "yep" get rid of that flatmate ....... "I really think you should go for that new job"..... "aaaaw, I'm so sorry your mum is sick".
I remember PHONE BOOTHS, for privacy, now it seems nobody is interested in privacy and no matter what they are doing ..... IF THAT PHONE RINGS ..... you drop everything and answer it, even if it's just to say "SORRY, I CAN'T TALK RIGHT NOW" ...... go figure.

You can't turn your phone off for a couple of hours ....... sheeesh, seems everyone has an excuse to be available 24/7.

I'm so thankful I'm not that needy.

When out for dinner I ask everyone to place their phones face down (just for fun) the first person that picks up their phone pays the bill, needless to say, I have had quite a few free dinners.
It seems manners have gone out the window too ........

Totally agree with you. I don't have to be available 24/7. Or reply to all texts immediately as they come. Don't have to answer all calls either. Maybe I had a stressful day at work so I'm trying to enjoy some time in peace and solitude, away from all those breaking news, tweet, retweet, like and poke notifications and so on. We take our phones everywhere with us. It's come to this point where I go out with friends to spend some quality time with them and in the middle of a great conversation my pal gets notified about a comment on his profile picture. All of a sudden the center of attention is this girl I don't even know in person just because she was impressed with his profile picture on Facebook. Is she having a crush on him? A/S/L? It's just another example of MANY I can think of. There's just so many ways people can contact me. And that's the problem. My smartphone is just the tip of the iceberg.
Stephen Hawking was right when he said that one day we won't be the ones consuming and utilizing technology - it will consume us.

I might be wrong but I personally think giving your phone a proper break reflects great on the battery life. Some say it's just a myth but I do it anyways. Those who can upgrade their device(s) once or twice a year can do otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:

sikurunana

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
Just wanna say that you literary don't need to turn off the phone now. You can simply switch the phone into Airplane mode and still the Alarm works if you need it.

Also I just want to add in that it's true that all these mobile devices are consuming us. We have become slaves to these devices. The moment your WiFi or mobile data goes our people start to freak out. This is not good. People talk more with their devices than with actual people. Everything has its positives and negatives. It's up to us on how to control ourselves and not get consumed by these digital monsters.

It annoys me when I go out to meet friends and they are tapping away on their phones thru WhatsApp, Facebook and what not. Why bother come out and meet up if commenting and messaging are more prioritised. Might as well stayed back at home. Its up-to us to kindly tell people to socialize when people in person. It's healthy to our mind, body and souls.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Nope, the last time I turned my phone off and left it off for no other reason but to turn it off... hmm... never really.

On weekends, I used to I leave my phone in my room and go about my day.

It's pretty refreshing really however now; it's never more than a feet away from me (in case anyone is wondering why, well priorities change :) ).

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

As previously stated, "Quiet Hours". When I go to sleep the phone goes into Quiet Hours. If you feel the need to turn your phone off, so be it. I own a business, so I need my phone on to make/answer calls.

As also previously stated, the phone is a piece of plastic and metal, it has no feelings and has no need or requirement to "rest".

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
As previously stated, "Quiet Hours". When I go to sleep the phone goes into Quiet Hours. If you feel the need to turn your phone off, so be it. I own a business, so I need my phone on to make/answer calls.

As also previously stated, the phone is a piece of plastic and metal, it has no feelings and has no need or requirement to "rest".

Yes, I love how quiet hours allow you to sleep and not have notification sounds in my ear through the night.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Rarely turn it off, but once a week I do a soft reset.

I do the same. I'm not getting calls or texts at all hours of the day, so I don't really have to shut my phone off to connect back to the natural world. Besides, the human animal is evolving towards this bio/mechanical way of life. Digital technology is part of the natural world now, and the line between the two will only be blurred more and more as time goes by. By staying connected, I am simply embracing the future. Ha ha It's like language... I teach for a living, and I was always so mad when my students wrote in their texting language. Read Shakespeare. Then, read a letter from 1860's America. Then, read a present-day text from a 10 year old. Change in everything just naturally happens.
At present, though, I keep my phone on because my parents are elderly, and I need to stay connected to them in case I am needed.

cjslman

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
I turn off my phones (I have two, Android and 640 XL) once a day while charging. In the case of the 640 XL, it's really just a reset since it turns on again when charging. I do this to reset things and clean the memory up (just in case it's needed for lost chunks). It's only a few minutes and I have never had problems with slow response. I also know people who never turn off their phone and don't have any issues.

anon(8161986)

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
It's meant to be on 24/7/365. Also, turning off will disable alarm 🔔 function if you are using it.

used to love how the old nokia's 3210 etc and 5800 styled phones used to be able to turn them off and they auto power back on at the time the alarm was set.
I guessing that their is something to do with the way WP works that it wasn't possible to bulid that feature into the Lumias

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I have no problem with phone etiquette in regards to using it as an actual phone. I don't tend to make a lot of calls anyway, but I have to admit my problem is that I have a tendency of using the browser to look up all sorts of crap when I get bored and waste time.

I also have a small LG android phone which I used before I got my Lumia 640 and using root I disabled my web browser and the Google play store so I wouldn't be tempted to mess around looking up stuff all the time. If I need to update apps all I need to do is connect it to my PC and re-enable the play store :) Before using it for this, I had no interest in rooting my phone as I am always happy with stock phones ie I don't tend to need to add features.

It worked very well for me and this is what I miss with windows phone in that you cannot disable anything at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3