Turn off phone

Prince Pusey

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Gonna keep my comment short as possible....
I applauded those who turn off their phone during the nights... or even during the day.

I don't use my phone much (like phone addicts), but my life involves people trying to reach me at any given moment. We mainly have our phone to communicate and always pray for long battery just because we want to keep in contact with each other.

During sleeping hours my phone is mostly on standby mode (only certain apps and quite hours enable), and i think that's enough. A simple reboot whenever it feels sluggish, but a turn off during the day time is a bit too much.

We live in a world that anything can happen and we shouldn't take life for granted. During that turn off, you can really miss something that is important. I value my friends, family, and social life over my phone at any given time. I can simply go online and order another phone that i can afford, but i can't make an order of a friend or family replacement.

sikurunana

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
used to love how the old nokia's 3210 etc and 5800 styled phones used to be able to turn them off and they auto power back on at the time the alarm was set.
I guessing that their is something to do with the way WP works that it wasn't possible to bulid that feature into the Lumias

Nokia was the king of mobile devices back in the day! :)

WinCoffee

Banned
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
for me it depends, Usually I put in "Airplane mode" when charging it over night. But If it has charged in 100% before I go to sleep I usually turn it off. I don't care if someones in emergency... I'm sleeping... (joking) :D. But anyways I think it's good to shut phone off, also take battery off from phone for about 5mins like once a month also improves performance.

rkrams

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
This being windows cwntral if you really want to have a 'ME TIME"

have you tried 'QUIET HOURS' with nifty darling Cortana, this way you can be alerted in case of emergency as well as have all the messages as well calls stored to get back!

Also mobile os can run 24/7 you dont gain much by switching off

Thomas Wadsworth

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
The idea that a computer device needs to be turned off because it needs a rest like us is not really applicable. I can't tell if your preaching some kind of no gadget lifestyle or genuinely think this is technical advice

Last edited by a moderator:

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
used to love how the old nokia's 3210 etc and 5800 styled phones used to be able to turn them off and they auto power back on at the time the alarm was set.
I guessing that their is something to do with the way WP works that it wasn't possible to bulid that feature into the Lumias

No one o.s. (Android, Win, Symbian and iOs) can turn on a phone by itself: in Nokias there was a bios - firmware inside function, same as old desktop pcs

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I used to have an Apple 🍎 iBook which I never switch off except rebooting it every half yearly. It lasted 8 years. So, don't worry, be happy.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
The idea that a computer device needs to be turned off because it needs a rest like us is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I can't tell if your preaching some kind of no gadget lifestyle or genuinely think this is technical advice

This is from an article I read on BBC or MIT, one of the two anyway.

The silicon chips and electronics in our devices wear out with time and use. The longer you use the device, the more the electronics inside are also used and the faster they break down.

The chips have tracks and transistors built in to them that carry current. Every time current passes through them it causes tiny pits or cracks to form.

Over time, years usually the pathways in the processor or other electronic component have so many cracks that the cracks start joining and causing a faster breakdown which leads to failure of that component.

So from the way I understand it, leaving the phone on means current is always passing through the processor which can lead to a faster breakdown time. I don't mean to say your phone can breakdown in 3 months but lets say it could shave off a couple of months out of the total lifespan of 3-4 years

sikurunana

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
This is from an article I read on BBC or MIT, one of the two anyway.

The silicon chips and electronics in our devices wear out with time and use. The longer you use the device, the more the electronics inside are also used and the faster they break down.

The chips have tracks and transistors built in to them that carry current. Every time current passes through them it causes tiny pits or cracks to form.

Over time, years usually the pathways in the processor or other electronic component have so many cracks that the cracks start joining and causing a faster breakdown which leads to failure of that component.

So from the way I understand it, leaving the phone on means current is always passing through the processor which can lead to a faster breakdown time. I don't mean to say your phone can breakdown in 3 months but lets say it could shave off a couple of months out of the total lifespan of 3-4 years

Agreed. It's like driving a car. The more mileage a car incurs, the more ware and tear, which means the possibility of a part breaking down. Its the same with everything that exists in this universe.

jbestman

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Interesting replies, I just like to have some "down time", when I don't want to be contacted and don't want to be disturbed, it's interesting to see people are switched on 24/7, when do you sleep, when do you have private time?

I find mobile phones have really screwed with the world and real time communication (no matter how convenient) people walking the streets oblivious to others (and traffic) ... and "I" am the one that has to avoid collision because "you" are so engrossed in your conversation that "I" have to take responsibility for your actions.

Apparently there is no such thing as a private conversation anymore, people readily tell anyone on the train/bus.street what is happening in their lives. My way to combat this in public is when someone starts chatting away on their phone in front of me, I just join in the conversation (obviously it's not private) I give them advice (yes, buy the blue shirt), (yes take a bottle of red instead of white for dinner tonight), "yep" get rid of that flatmate ....... "I really think you should go for that new job"..... "aaaaw, I'm so sorry your mum is sick".
I remember PHONE BOOTHS, for privacy, now it seems nobody is interested in privacy and no matter what they are doing ..... IF THAT PHONE RINGS ..... you drop everything and answer it, even if it's just to say "SORRY, I CAN'T TALK RIGHT NOW" ...... go figure.

You can't turn your phone off for a couple of hours ....... sheeesh, seems everyone has an excuse to be available 24/7.

I'm so thankful I'm not that needy.

When out for dinner I ask everyone to place their phones face down (just for fun) the first person that picks up their phone pays the bill, needless to say, I have had quite a few free dinners.
It seems manners have gone out the window too ........

You must be great at parties.

Good for you that turning off your phone adds to your quality of life but we are all not like you. Your definition of "quality of life" might not apply to me. So, stop being so judgmental.

Some of us have kids. I have kids. I have family members all over the world. Different time zones. Turning my phone of isn't just being selfish, it's stupid. Especially, when there is a simple feature called Quiet Hours that blocks everything but important calls and messages. Yes, when my daughter calls me to say she loves me, that is an important call at ANY time of the day or night. No, this doesn't make me needy. This is me knowing what is important to me.

Again, I applaud you for turning off your phone. It obviously works for you. But, that is the beauty of life. We are not all the same. What works for you might not work for me. inrespect yours, you should return that courtesy.

Ktysai

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
@Maurizio There are some phones that runs Android that can do by them self the turn on/off. Unfortunately the brand is not that trustworthy, but it was some nice features, like this one.

On symbian the alarm was almost turning on the whole phone. Ahh, I really miss this OS :) and my Nokia E71 :p

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
@Maurizio There are some phones that runs Android that can do by them self the turn on/off. Unfortunately the brand is not that trustworthy, but it was some nice features, like this one.

On symbian the alarm was almost turning on the whole phone. Ahh, I really miss this OS :) and my Nokia E71 :p

I still own a N70 and N78 full optional: Tom Tom, network dlna, hotspot via bluetooth / wifi, mail browser whatsapp skype... But batteries lasted 2 hrs ! :D

k12000lt

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
It's meant to be on 24/7/365. Also, turning off will disable alarm �� function if you are using it.

Previously all Nokias, even if switched off, always sound alarm at set time. Then you were given an option to turn off alarm or snooz and switch on phone or keep it off. Unfortunately MS did not learn anything when they bought Nokia. They just forced everything what they thought was right. That is why you can not even charge your phone while it's off. MS is a real dumbass.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3