Turn off phone

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Can't blame Microsoft for alarm clock not working if the phone is switched off, that's a issue with smart phones & the way the cpu works. The alarm clock is one area where a dumb phone beats a smart phone.

Lord Method Man

May 23, 2014
Visit site
This is from an article I read on BBC or MIT, one of the two anyway.

The silicon chips and electronics in our devices wear out with time and use. The longer you use the device, the more the electronics inside are also used and the faster they break down.

The chips have tracks and transistors built in to them that carry current. Every time current passes through them it causes tiny pits or cracks to form.

Over time, years usually the pathways in the processor or other electronic component have so many cracks that the cracks start joining and causing a faster breakdown which leads to failure of that component.

So from the way I understand it, leaving the phone on means current is always passing through the processor which can lead to a faster breakdown time. I don't mean to say your phone can breakdown in 3 months but lets say it could shave off a couple of months out of the total lifespan of 3-4 years

Turning electronic components on and off is harder on them than leaving them running. Almost all electronic component failures occur either when the device is powered on or off.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Previously all Nokias, even if switched off, always sound alarm at set time. Then you were given an option to turn off alarm or snooz and switch on phone or keep it off. Unfortunately MS did not learn anything when they bought Nokia. They just forced everything what they thought was right. That is why you can not even charge your phone while it's off. MS is a real dumbass.

Nokias had built- in-firmware alarm with auto switch on, same ad old pc desktop bios. No operatin system can reply that, even android and ios

drufranco

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Interesting question and responses.
I like to unplug or go off the grid at times but because this is my main source of communication I find it hard to completely turn it off for any length of time. I do use the "Quiet Hours" with family break throughs through the night while it sits on its charging pad ready to wake me at 7am with my daily alarm.
What I find myself doing sometimes is after work I turn my phone off to unwind and catch up on some TV, books, cooking, me time bascially (anywhere from 1-3 hours) then if I remember right away I turn my phone back on.
Sometimes though I forget that it is off and then I get worried because I have not heard any alerts and then it dawns on me to turn it back on where lots of alerts are waiting to say hello. (usually unfortunate alerts as in work emails and gmail junk but alerts nonetheless).

pepsicocom

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
At least for me, the alarm works even when the phone (every Lumia I've ever owned, the 950XL most recently) is powered off. Maybe I did not understand the question?

Nokialover2016

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
used to love how the old nokia's 3210 etc and 5800 styled phones used to be able to turn them off and they auto power back on at the time the alarm was set.
I guessing that their is something to do with the way WP works that it wasn't possible to bulid that feature into the Lumias

I'm still using Nokia 808 to wake me up in the morning. I always turn off the phone while sleeping. And auto turn on feature is great one.
I'm trying to switch to Lumia 950, but have quite hard time, because 950 is missing a lot of great features I'm used to have on 808.

Last edited:

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm still using Nokia 808 to wake me up in the morning. I always turn off the phone while sleeping. And auto turn on feature is great one.
I'm trying to switch to Lumia 950, but have quite hard time, because 950 is missing a lot of great features I'm used to have on 808.

Auto switch-on is a firmware / bios feature, not operative system. Even old desktop pc bios had got it

Nokialover2016

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
I don't understand what is your point.
It doesn't matter if it is OS or firmware feature from the user point of view. It's there and it works, that's all it matters. Every phone manufacturer, including MS can include this feature if they wanted.

sheldon cohn

May 15, 2015
Visit site
People working have to keep the phone on at all times, specially if there boss or managers call
during the night. People are are afraid someone may need to reach them, even during the night,
so they keep the phone on 24 / 7. Some older people need to keep their phones on all the time
just encase they have to make an emergency phone call. I found the best time to charge the
phone is over night, while I sleep.

pjhenry1216

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Why is it that those who are advocating turning their phone off somehow assume if you don't, you're attached to the screen 24/7? if its in quiet hours, its just as quiet as a phone that's turned off. if we don't turn off our phones at night, it doesn't mean we scream into our phones all the time or interrupt conversations to talk about how someone commented on my photo. you're just talking about rude people. that has nothing to do with the phone. that's the person. you're conflating a bunch of unrelated behavior and somehow making it sound like you are on some high horse and that we can't achieve the same peacefulness that you do. we can. we do. and we are more prepared for anything life may unexpectedly throw at us in the mean time. you gain zero benefits that we can't also get. just put it in quiet hours. if someone needs to get a hold of you, they still can cause if they call back immediately after not getting a hold of you, you can set it to ring through. usually if someone is trying *really* hard to get a hold of you, it means its an emergency. i'd rather get that call and be annoyed then not get it at all. i don't need to get text messages right away, but if they're simply there when i wake up, fine. i don't have to wait for the phone to power up or wait for it to resync with the carrier (a missed text won't show up immediately upon carrier availability, usually it takes an extra 5-10 minutes even). i'd rather be able to get all that small stuff out of the way in a 5 second span as opposed to forcing it over a 15-minute task. doing things like they did it back in the day doesn't automatically make it better. so stop yelling at people to get off your lawn, or better yet, stop telling other people to yell at people on their own lawn. if you can't handle having a phone turned on, fine. other people can.

thinkitthrough

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
I, too, use Quiet Hours, which is a great feature (when it works). My Lumia 950 is on build 10586.29, and I have found that frequently Quiet Hours fails to turn on at the scheduled time, and only rebooting the phone fixes that. So I usually turn my phone off for 5 minutes or so then power it back on just before I go to bed, which so far has always made sure Quiet Hours is operating properly. If I fail to remember to shut down & restart phone, Quiet Hours becomes flaky.

I know many people will disagree with me, and that's OK, I respect others' experiences & opinions, but in my experience ALL windows client machines are better off if they are turned off and back on at least once per day. In the days of Unix workstations, there was no issue at all leaving them on 24/7/365, sometimes for years. But all of our Windows workstations & laptops seem to behave more reliably when we shut them down when not in use, or if possible, at least cycle power once per week when a given Windows machine can afford to be shut down briefly.

If my 10586.29 Lumia 950 is any example, it follows in the footsteps of our previous experience, which means for me, the phone behaves more consistently & reliable when shut down daily if possible, or at least weekly.

cmucodemonkey

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I rarely turn off my phone completely, but mainly because my wife and I don't have a landline so my cell phone is my only phone line. I don't use my phone for an alarm unless I am crashing at somebody else's place and don't have a regular alarm clock handy. I also don't like to constantly checking my email or social media accounts. So unless somebody is calling or texting me my phone is pretty much sitting idle in my pocket or on the computer desk.

Overnight I leave my phone on the wireless charging dock in quiet mode until the morning. Then my phone is all charged and ready to go the next morning.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3