Turn off phone

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I, too, use Quiet Hours, which is a great feature (when it works). My Lumia 950 is on build 10586.29, and I have found that frequently Quiet Hours fails to turn on at the scheduled time, and only rebooting the phone fixes that. So I usually turn my phone off for 5 minutes or so then power it back on just before I go to bed, which so far has always made sure Quiet Hours is operating properly. If I fail to remember to shut down & restart phone, Quiet Hours becomes flaky.
My Quiet Hour is VERY flakey as well. I set it for a certain time to have it turned on and off daily, and it hasn't been following the rules.

k12000lt

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Can't blame Microsoft for alarm clock not working if the phone is switched off, that's a issue with smart phones & the way the cpu works. The alarm clock is one area where a dumb phone beats a smart phone.

You need to read more buddy. Nokia N8, 808 pureview were legendary smartphones. No Lumia today can even dream of being at that point. They even supported USB OTG which most lumias do not. And they could even do stuff almost similar to what MS is bragging so much about these days - continuum, that too during those years and witout any fancy $100 dock. And could control media from buttons on headphone - ohh boy. I wonder, if they even had more apps than todays lumias... ;-)
And I did not know it requires to be dumb phone to charge while switched off. If thats a rule, only MS sells smartphones today.

Last edited:

WinCoffee

Banned
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Maybe it's that I'm a bloody lonely ******* so nobody really trying to reach me overnight... or ever! Boss will call? nope! Mom might send whatsapp message or friend or satan. but otherwise nobody tries to reach me.

mikewarner

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Interesting as I thought it was only me! I have Quiet Hours set for 23.30 - 06.00 and since the update to .107 Quiet Hours is not switching on automatically on occasions. My current guess is that I'm using the phone at 23.30 and this doesn't allow the function to start. Whatever the issue is it'll scare the living daylights out of me if the phone rings in between those hours!

Chomiq

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
It's meant to be on 24/7/365. Also, turning off will disable alarm �� function if you are using it.

As long as battery has charge alarm should work. At least it did with my old Nokia C6. At set alarm time device should power up, ring the alarm and ask if it should turn itself off. I seem to recall it also worked with 930.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
As long as battery has charge alarm should work. At least it did with my old Nokia C6. At set alarm time device should power up, ring the alarm and ask if it should turn itself off. I seem to recall it also worked with 930.

Just tested on my 520. As expected, phone didn't switch on and alarm, like old symbian devices

pjhenry1216

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Also tested on Lumia 950XL with .107. Phone does *not* turn on for the alarm. My guess is the boot process is too heavy compared to the old symbian phones and its no longer efficient to do this. Either that or it would eat too much battery to power the chipset to monitor time while the phone is "off"

Edit: typo

duncanator

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Same here, off every night when I go to bed. The only time I leave mine on at night is if my wife it out, but even then I will set it to do not disturb with her contact as a favorite that will go through if called (iPhone). Yes, I do have a Windows Phone too.

omerfbingol

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
Think about your health and safety first, you might get a call from someone in need or you might need to call 911 right away. You shouldn't have to wait for your phone to boot up enough to place an emergency call.
Then, think about your phone's health and safety; boot up process is a pretty heavy load on it's hardware. Think about the amount of battery power you lose just buy switching off and on, that's got be an indication of how much it's stressing (sudden leap of heat and electromagnetic activity) the circuits.

Nokialover2016

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
Why would I turn it off? If I need quiet, there's quiet hours. Otherwise, I need to have it on since I have no landline.
As said before, Quiet hours ONLY work if Cortana works and it (she?) only works for some regions. It I want to turn quiet hours on, my 950 just says that Cortana is not working for my region.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers