Would it help to have the ability to remove apps that you don't need but can't be removed?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
This is has been one of the strange things about mobile os'. We have apps installed by the OS provider or manufacturer that we will never use but can't be removed since they don't have uninstall options.

Currently these apps are fixed in windows 10 mobile:

• Alarms and clock
  • Calculator
  • Camera
  • Contact support
  • File explorer
  • Films and TV
  • FM Radio
  • Groove music
  • Maps
  • Messaging
  • Microsoft Edge
  • OneDrive
  • Onenote
  • Outlook calendar
  • Outlook mail
  • People
  • Phone
  • Photos
  • Podcast
  • Search
  • Settings
  • Skype video
  • Storage
  • Store
  • Voice recorder
  • Wallet
  • Weather
  • Windows feedback
  • Xbox

I would like to remove the apps I don't want and won't use

These are
  1. OneNote
  2. Podcasts
  3. Skype video
  4. Weather
  5. Xbox

I'm sure I can save about 150MB of space and less updates to install if these were gone

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Of course it would if possible.

In the past it was possible to run the date on a Lumia past 06/01/2106 then reboot.
This would disable many built in Nokia apps.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
This is has been one of the strange things about mobile os'. We have apps installed by the OS provider or manufacturer that we will never use but can't be removed since they don't have uninstall options.

• Alarms and clock
  • Calculator
  • Camera
  • Contact support
  • File explorer
  • Films and TV
  • FM Radio
  • Groove music
  • Maps
  • Messaging
  • Microsoft Edge
  • OneDrive
  • Onenote
  • Outlook calendar
  • Outlook mail
  • People
  • Phone
  • Photos
  • Podcast
  • Search
  • Settings
  • Skype video
  • Storage
  • Store
  • Voice recorder
  • Wallet
  • Weather
  • Windows feedback
  • Xbox

These are
  1. OneNote
  2. Podcasts
  3. Skype video
  4. Weather
  5. Xbox

I'm sure I can save about 150MB of space and less updates to install if these were gone

Sure you can.
On first store app update, they could be re installled by system itself, but if you remove them again they will not be updated and installed anymore

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I can kind of understand it but only if you have a 4GB internal memory phone. With 8 or higher the 150 MB "extra" space is peanuts.

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site

• Alarms and clock
  • Calculator
  • Camera
  • Contact support
  • File explorer
  • Films and TV
  • FM Radio
  • Groove music
  • Maps
  • Messaging
  • Microsoft Edge
  • OneDrive
  • Onenote
  • Outlook calendar
  • Outlook mail
  • People
  • Phone
  • Photos
  • Podcast
  • Search
  • Settings
  • Skype video
  • Storage
  • Store
  • Voice recorder
  • Wallet
  • Weather
  • Windows feedback
  • Xbox

These are
  1. OneNote
  2. Podcasts
  3. Skype video
  4. Weather
  5. Xbox

"podcasts" can be uninstalled by normal method.

wp_ss_20160219_0003.png

nailzer

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
"podcasts" can be uninstalled by normal method.

View attachment 122519

Try in developer mode connected to computer via USB, you will be amazed what you can see in there (including errors) Cortana is logged as an instant error, messaging is also installed 3 times "WTF", no wonder the phone gets confused, I wonder if the Gods actually look at what this shows when connected to a computer, errors are errors , why allow this to happen ?

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Try in developer mode connected to computer via USB, you will be amazed what you can see in there (including errors) Cortana is logged as an instant error, messaging is also installed 3 times "WTF", no wonder the phone gets confused, I wonder if the Gods actually look at what this shows when connected to a computer, errors are errors , why allow this to happen ?
what exactly should i do in order to see those errors? i know how to setup the phone to dev mode. what should i do next?

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Lumia 1020, cyan firmware, 10586.107, upgraded from 8.1 to 10851 then to 10586 and so on, no hard resets anywhere
mine is 950xl and using latest fw and just updated from 10586.107 to 14267 (fast ring insider). podcasts is uninstallable in my phone.. but to my memory, podcasts is not uninstallable in my 930 even if it had been updated to w10m tech preview.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
mine is 950xl and using latest fw and just updated from 10586.107 to 14267 (fast ring insider). podcasts is uninstallable in my phone.. but to my memory, podcasts is not uninstallable in my 930 even if it had been updated to w10m tech preview.
True, same when I had my Icon.

nailzer

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
what exactly should i do in order to see those errors? i know how to setup the phone to dev mode. what should i do next?

Allow developer mode, Connect your phone via USB, open browser window and go to http://192.168.1.101/ it should ask you to pair, then you can see whats's inside the phone

developer01.jpg
developer02.jpg

Attachments

• developer01.jpg
    developer01.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 4
  • developer02.jpg
    developer02.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
the problem is that these apps are not a godsend, they fail as a fact of life, if they do and you're on a closed OS like this, then you're at microsoft's mercy for an update, if only we could remove and reinstall a groove app which wont start, or gets stuck by some nonsense, this forum would have fewer angry users, but... for some reason, Microsoft deems those apps too good and too necessary for them to have the option to be removed or even reinstalled

oh there was a time I had a problem with xbox music after 8.1 and what I did was simply send the install command from my pc, which forced the phone to reinstall said app, and problem solved. not anymore, that's just another feature taken away for the sake of change

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
The OP wants to uninstall apps because he does not need/want them (and wants to free up space). This is basically something else than uninstall them so you can reinstall them because the app has a "problem".
In the first case, why should MS invest time in making this possible for all apps.

In the second case it would be more "useful" but would this always help?
To let this work it needs more then just a "uninstall" button.

In the past more apps where "baked" into the OS which resulted in "no updates" because a OS update was needed. Now apps are "less baked" into the OS so App updates can be done.

But there will never be a perfect OS ( with apps) which always will work even if there are hardware problems and user mistakes.

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Allow developer mode, Connect your phone via USB, open browser window and go to http://192.168.1.101/ it should ask you to pair, then you can see whats's inside the phone..
wow it's interesting. I'm playing with it now. thanks for your info. seems that a lot of essential apps can be uninstalled by this method.

seems you can cut the edge
cut edge.jpg

but actually you can't
can't cut edge.jpg

Last edited:

gahbmwm5

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
so we have a conclusion now: whether the podcasts app is uninstallable depends on your phone's model. some can, some can't.

my guess: the podcasts app is uninstallable only for those "x50" series such as 950, 650, 550.

Yes indeed, on my AT&T branded L-950, with Preview Release OS: 10586.107 Stock Firmware: 01078.00017.15454.xxxx, Podcast app has 'uninstall' option..

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3