Can we talk about device backups and restoring for a moment..?

MrChris2000

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
So I've had to go back to 8.1 because of a recent issue installing .107.
As part of this process and to allow me to download the Windows Insider application I had to log in with my MS Account.

As soon as I did this my Win10 layout and settings were nuked and replaced with the default for 8.1. I'm now on Win10M with the job of re-creating my tile layout and folders (no big deal I guess); but also have no text messages or other more important things.
Can we not get multiple (selectable), profiles for device backups please?!

Am I wrong? Is there a better way? Is there a way to restore those old messages? I certainly couldn't see one, and whilst this is likely only an Insider issue, its snagged me more than once unfortunately.

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
As part of this process and to allow me to download the Windows Insider application I had to log in with my MS Account.

As soon as I did this my Win10 layout and settings were nuked and replaced with the default for 8.1. I'm now on Win10M with the job of re-creating my tile layout and folders (no big deal I guess); but also have no text messages or other more important things.

Am I wrong? Is there a better way? Is there a way to restore those old messages? I certainly couldn't see one, and whilst this is likely only an Insider issue, its snagged me more than once unfortunately.

Only the most recent backup is available - no option to restore from earlier backups like one could do on the iPhone.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

That's not usual you don't have old messages. They are backupped in your account if your proper set it in settings, and come back after every hard reset / downgrade / upgrade.
Tiles selection loose is normal if you switch different o.s., but third part apps are always saved.
For messages, select in settings "Sync" and choose you favourite time. If you choose "Always" it could take time to restore.
But if you never selected backup messages in past, I fear you have lost them

StephenWagner7

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Seriously,
To ensure proper SMS restore, don't touch settings at least until all the SMS are restored. There's been times where it's actually in the process of restoring, and by editing the settings, it stopped, and I didn't get the texts either until my next reset/update.

There was one occasion where a month after it completed the restore, but I was lucky that time!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon