W10M Insider Preview 14267 (Redstone branch - for devices released with W10M)

constantreader16

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for reminding me, but that's not the point. They released a build with something I'd argue is essential to a fluid "using the phone as a phone experience" when there was no need to because they just released a build a week ago. What was the point?

If you've read anything Gabe has posted online lately, he clearly stated that they loosened the criteria for the Fast Ring builds. This include the possibility that essential features may have issues. There's a reason he gives those warnings and there's a reason this build was released to the Fast Ring, not the Slow Ring.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
@StephenWagner7, I am in Canada as well, with my Lumia 950 XL.
I upgraded without issue. You are just impatient, I think. It took time, sure, but it was done successfully. I also got the pending apps, but wait a bit and now you can access them.

Anyway, I noticed that Edge got improved. What i mean, is that I used to have some forums that crashed when you did certain things like hit Enter in the reply box, which made the page reload. This has been fixed from what I can see. Page elements that didn't work, now works. So this is pretty cool.

Might have improved battery life from the last insider build, but this might be just a placebo effect, needs a few days to confirm.

constantreader16

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Chiming in with my experiences so far, this build has run very well. The update process seemed about the same time as usual, but I did like the trimming down from displaying 23 steps to 10. It probably created the illusion that it took less time to migrate because it sure seemed to take less time.

Since the update has been done, everything seems just a bit smoother than the 10586.107 build. At the very least it seems just as stable and responsive. I actually only just started getting the "Resuming..." display when opening the messaging app from notifications in the Action Center on the .107 build, but that appears to not be happening anymore. It seems like there were a few UI tweaks done to the status bar at the top (most noticeable when opening the Windows Central Beta app on the previous build, then on the 14267 build). Prior it wasn't showing the network icons, vibrate, location, battery and time icons up there. It also made the status bar white in a few apps and places which leads me to believe they actually did make a few changes across the board with it. Unlock w/ PIN seems a little quicker too.

The .107 build created more consistent instances where the phone would run a little hot, that does not appear to be happening at all with this build however. No random restarts so far. Battery life seems just as consistent. I haven't really tested out any of the new features, but so far so good!

StephenWagner7

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
@StephenWagner7, I am in Canada as well, with my Lumia 950 XL.
I upgraded without issue. You are just impatient, I think. It took time, sure, but it was done successfully. I also got the pending apps, but wait a bit and now you can access them.

Anyway, I noticed that Edge got improved. What i mean, is that I used to have some forums that crashed when you did certain things like hit Enter in the reply box, which made the page reload. This has been fixed from what I can see. Page elements that didn't work, now works. So this is pretty cool.

Might have improved battery life from the last insider build, but this might be just a placebo effect, needs a few days to confirm.

Actually I wasn't impatient... There are numerous bugs and issues. The apps weren't installing. Typically this completes on a update on a fast internet connection within 20 minutes. Nothing was budging after hours...

A Hard reset fixed the issues, and app installation completed with normal times.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Actually I wasn't impatient... There are numerous bugs and issues. The apps weren't installing. Typically this completes on a update on a fast internet connection within 20 minutes. Nothing was budging after hours...

A Hard reset fixed the issues, and app installation completed with normal times.
Oh ok.

StephenWagner7

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site

I'm literally finding tons of stuff wrong, lol. I just decided that if I kept posting, I'd almost be spamming... I've just been filling out the feedback app, providing screenshots and data dumps on all the issues.

This is definitely a build for testing, dump submission, and not for average daily use, lol... (Keep in mind, it is usable for normal "phone tasks", just all the fun funky stuff we have isn't working as well as it should be, lol) :)

Wahadinho

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I have problem with flickering screen since I put Win10 Preview. Never happened to me before, now it flickers once in a while, like display is losing contact or like when you call someone and put phone face down or on ear so screen turn off for that period of time.

thetanian

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE: Nevermind.. A couple of soft resets fixed it.. Lol..

Who has problems with the Store app after upgrade? It doesn't load apps, DL apps, or even go to settings.. It just freezes then crashes.. Never had this in previous builds.. Any thoughts? And, I can't open W10 app for windowscentral.. Crashes when trying to open it.. Now using tge W8.1 app..

Last edited:

GF Wong

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
It fix WordFlow in Edge but breaks the Gadgets app. I can't connect to my DT-903 wireless charger and car audio to transfer contact anymore. I did a hard reset and it's still the same. I guess I will use WDRT to roll back :-(

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Soft resets did not help. I ended up doing a hard reset. After the reset I did a restore of my back ups, then re-entered the Windows Insider Fast ring. After one initial update the 14267 update appeared. It DL'd and installed and when I selected Restart there was no error this time. The phone is currently in reboot/gears turning mode so we shall see....

....and it worked!

Last edited:

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 550. Battery can't be charged. Phone is dead, connected to charger, charge for a while up to 3%, turns on by itself than discharge and the loop continues. It charges while off but keep switching on.

There is a fix (or workaround) for this on wmpoweruser. Sounds like an issue with that firmware on the 550.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
It fix WordFlow in Edge but breaks the Gadgets app. I can't connect to my DT-903 wireless charger and car audio to transfer contact anymore. I did a hard reset and it's still the same. I guess I will use WDRT to roll back :-(

None of these issues for me.

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Build is definitely smoother in most aspects. Especially when clicking different tabs in Edge. However, I am getting the camera blink problem when launching it. Also (and this is the worst) phone randomly goes blank and only soft reset will turn it on or it just reboots by itself.

StephenWagner7

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Just curious how many of you out there are running this build with two active SIM cards? How's it working out for you?

I'm noticing that 75% of the issues (and the list is massive) only occur when the second SIM is active. Turning it off, and 75% of the issues disappear.

Issues that occur with Single SIM active and/or both Active:
-Cortana isn't accepting any voice commands - Crashes after letting it sit. I can't use any voice activated cortana features.
-Commands to cortana (using text since voice isn't available) don't work. Typing "Text John Doe", it suggests a text, but after selecting, it sits for a minute (sometimes longer), and then opens up a Bing search for "Text John Doe". Doesn't work for Calendar stuff, anything...-
-The only thing Cortana CAN do is basic Bing search, and the general cortana homescreen that opens when she's launched.
-On desktop PC, when sending a text from desktop (which is routed through Cortana and sent from phone), Cortana never sends the message. This stopped working after going to redstone.
-While master region setting is "English (Canada)", I only have the "English (United States)" keyboard installed. I've always done this and never had an issue. However on this build, on the master region setting, it's saying the keyboard is "English (Canada)", and a word suggestion is pending download but failing, even though, when going in to keyboard, it's set to the U.S. keyboard. Tried installing the English Canada keyboard, but when downloading this suggestion pack, it fails every time...
-When connected to Bluetooth audio, volume controls don't change to bluetooth like previous builds, they stay the same.

Issues that occur with both SIM cards active:
-After installing update to redstone, progress gets stuck on 3 of 10 7%. Have to turn phone off/on and setup/configuration completes.
-After "Almost Done" and signing in to phone, apps don't install, stuck on "Pending" forever... (yes I know there's a delay, this wasn't a normal delay).
-Grove Music won't work. It freezes upon opening and won't even crash.
-Sometime when turning on the phone, you type in PIN to unlock, and it just gets stuck on "Loading...". When this happens, I'm noticing it creates ~32 feedback diagnostic things. Even if you wait, and wait, it won't load the start screen. Can open apps by hitting the search button and launching them from search results. I've submitted all the diagnostic dumps.
-Sometimes the phone gets SUPER SUPER hot when in pocket.
-50% of power-ons, barely ANYTHING works (apps, phone, messaging, you name it, can't even go in to some settings menu's)
-Sometimes absolutely no data, even with Wifi active and connected. Shows it's working, but no data apps work, including Edge, Outlook, etc...
-App crashes
-Weird behavior of settings menu has been seen.
-When connected to Bluetooth audio, volume controls don't change to bluetooth like previous builds, they stay the same. After disconnecting Bluetooth audio destination and using local device speaker, the volume control changes to bluetooth. Local device audio is lost until phone restart.
-Numerous "SIM settings have changed, please restart your phone to take effect". I've had over 25+ today alone.
-Tons of others issues, I'm writing these off the top of my head. I'll update later when I have more.

I'm not complaining! I chose the Insider build for a reason. I've been submitting screen captures and "reproduce issue" dumps like crazy! :)

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Just curious how many of you out there are running this build with two active SIM cards? How's it working out for you?

I'm noticing that 75% of the issues (and the list is massive) only occur when the second SIM is active. Turning it off, and 75% of the issues disappear.

Issues that occur with Single SIM active and/or both Active:
-Cortana isn't accepting any voice commands - Crashes after letting it sit. I can't use any voice activated cortana features.
-Commands to cortana (using text since voice isn't available) don't work. Typing "Text John Doe", it suggests a text, but after selecting, it sits for a minute (sometimes longer), and then opens up a Bing search for "Text John Doe". Doesn't work for Calendar stuff, anything...-
-The only thing Cortana CAN do is basic Bing search, and the general cortana homescreen that opens when she's launched.
-On desktop PC, when sending a text from desktop (which is routed through Cortana and sent from phone), Cortana never sends the message. This stopped working after going to redstone.
-While master region setting is "English (Canada)", I only have the "English (United States)" keyboard installed. I've always done this and never had an issue. However on this build, on the master region setting, it's saying the keyboard is "English (Canada)", and a word suggestion is pending download but failing, even though, when going in to keyboard, it's set to the U.S. keyboard. Tried installing the English Canada keyboard, but when downloading this suggestion pack, it fails every time...
-When connected to Bluetooth audio, volume controls don't change to bluetooth like previous builds, they stay the same.

Issues that occur with both SIM cards active:
-After installing update to redstone, progress gets stuck on 3 of 10 7%. Have to turn phone off/on and setup/configuration completes.
-After "Almost Done" and signing in to phone, apps don't install, stuck on "Pending" forever... (yes I know there's a delay, this wasn't a normal delay).
-Grove Music won't work. It freezes upon opening and won't even crash.
-Sometime when turning on the phone, you type in PIN to unlock, and it just gets stuck on "Loading...". When this happens, I'm noticing it creates ~32 feedback diagnostic things. Even if you wait, and wait, it won't load the start screen. Can open apps by hitting the search button and launching them from search results. I've submitted all the diagnostic dumps.
-Sometimes the phone gets SUPER SUPER hot when in pocket.
-50% of power-ons, barely ANYTHING works (apps, phone, messaging, you name it, can't even go in to some settings menu's)
-Sometimes absolutely no data, even with Wifi active and connected. Shows it's working, but no data apps work, including Edge, Outlook, etc...
-App crashes
-Weird behavior of settings menu has been seen.
-When connected to Bluetooth audio, volume controls don't change to bluetooth like previous builds, they stay the same. After disconnecting Bluetooth audio destination and using local device speaker, the volume control changes to bluetooth. Local device audio is lost until phone restart.
-Numerous "SIM settings have changed, please restart your phone to take effect". I've had over 25+ today alone.
-Tons of others issues, I'm writing these off the top of my head. I'll update later when I have more.

I'm not complaining! I chose the Insider build for a reason. I've been submitting screen captures and "reproduce issue" dumps like crazy! :)
that's one of the reasons I don't like dual sim phones. more things connected, more possibility for troubles.

StephenWagner7

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
that's one of the reasons I don't like dual sim phones. more things connected, more possibility for troubles.

Just for the record, I had no issues with the dual SIM goodness before the update... :)

Again, I want to mention I knew what I was getting in to by updating to this build... Not complaining, just advising for others so they can figure out themselves if they want to update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb