Redstone Branch preview on non-supported devices

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
To all the tweakers/hackers out there....has anyone attempted to install the recently released redstone WM10 build on their non-supported (yet) devices? I am currently trying out impersonating some of the newer WM10 devices on my 640 and so far I have been unsuccessful. I will keep on trying for some more attempts differently.

** This thread is meant for experimental procedures for enthusiasts only so please avoid doing something stupid that you would regret later **

Edit: Okay after a few tries I finally figured it out. Currently installing build 14267.1002 on my AT&T unbranded 640.

Last edited:

rayf888

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Nice work! I wonder that actually works for all devices the same way as TH2... It's just a trick imposed by MS to get people to buy new devices........

slimchap

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
To all the tweakers/hackers out there....has anyone attempted to install the recently released redstone WM10 build on their non-supported (yet) devices? I am currently trying out impersonating some of the newer WM10 devices on my 640 and so far I have been unsuccessful. I will keep on trying for some more attempts differently.

** This thread is meant for experimental procedures for enthusiasts only so please avoid doing something stupid that you would regret later **

Edit: Okay after a few tries I finally figured it out. Currently installing build 14267.1002 on my AT&T unbranded 640.

Let us know how you tricked MS Servers? I will really like to know

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
The process is pretty simple, change the registry to impersonate a supported device to download the OS. I used a US-variant Lumia 550 to download the OS and it has been running pretty well on my 640. I haven't found many differences so as to what have been already reported in the official change log. One feature I did notice was a call transfer button baked into the dialer that can be enabled through an advanced phone menu

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
The process is pretty simple, change the registry to impersonate a supported device to download the OS. I used a US-variant Lumia 550 to download the OS and it has been running pretty well on my 640. I haven't found many differences so as to what have been already reported in the official change log. One feature I did notice was a call transfer button baked into the dialer that can be enabled through an advanced phone menu

Registry??? You updated via usb and a pc??

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
No, I had to interop unlock my device, install customPFD on it, change registry to impersonate a 550, enroll in Windows insider and download the update.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
No, I had to interop unlock my device, install customPFD on it, change registry to impersonate a 550, enroll in Windows insider and download the update.
I hope you'll be doing a proper tutorial for this? My luck for getting customPFD on W10 has been nonexistent. Please tell me I don't need to wipe it back to 8.1 and try that customPFD method?

Since the 950XL is my daily driver, and everything else I own is not an x50 series, would kind of like to run Redstone on something older first.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I hope you'll be doing a proper tutorial for this? My luck for getting customPFD on W10 has been nonexistent. Please tell me I don't need to wipe it back to 8.1 and try that customPFD method?

Well I am kinda avoiding creating the tutorial if you know what I mean...to avoid confusion and being blamed for bricked devices. But to give you some insight (and I am sure you would figure the rest out IMO) , you will have to roll back to 8.1 to install customPFD. I was trying for a while to install it on .107 but it kept throwing "cannot find installation directory" error. I finally decided to roll back to 8.1 and changed the registry entries to that of a Lumia 550. Set the device manufacturer name to "MicrosoftMDG" and the rest of the entries to any supported WM10 device, enroll in Windows Insider and you will get the update. Send me a PM if you want to know the exact registry entries.

Nicholas Ek

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
I did this as soon as the build came out (having done it before) on my old Lumia 920.
(Un)surprisingly, no glitches so far. Just as stable as 10586.107.
Task switcher app limit on 1 GB devices is still 7 + Start Screen.
Funnily, the Windows Camera app loses the Flash control... :amaze:
This means that Flash mode is set to auto with no way of changing, and the flash is always on when focusing.
Edge is even more stable, same with Messaging.
I'm gonna keep this build on that phone, so far so good.

nailzer

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
I did this as soon as the build came out (having done it before) on my old Lumia 920.
This means that Flash mode is set to auto with no way of changing, and the flash is always on when focusing.

Well you have no right to complain :) Good luck, glad ALL issues reported on old 920 sorted (except those you mentioned)

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

What about using with lumia camera? Or proshot?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
What about using with lumia camera? Or proshot?

Flash works for me on my 640 in native camera app. I did hard reset after the update so not sure if that made the difference.

Also I found the performance slightly sluggish (at least the animations) as compared to .107. I wonder how the 550 and 650 would perform especially with a weaker CPU/GPU, may the newer firmware might have some performance benefits.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
No, search pankaj981 other threads on unbranding, etc. It is a homebrew app that provides a registry editor.

pankaj981: you have a PM from me.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Originally posted by Nicholas Ek

Hope this doesn't mess with the feedback they receive for diagnostics. My guess is that's why only certain phones were allowed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)