Finally did a hard reset

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Well, in the past I have stated, several times, that I believe that hard resets are, in most cases, both unnecessary and, at times, unwise.

But, as I came from 8.1, on ,my 920, and have been on 10 for a while, now (I'm on .122), and everyone keeps extolling the virtues of a HR, curing all kinds of ills from system crashes to the plague, I decide as it is Sunday and I'm not up to anything special, I'd give it a shot.

All I can say is that, if I decide to do it, again, I hope somebody just shoots me in the head. It took most of the day and evening downloading and resetting apps. Then the damned phone wouldn't connect to my Band 2, so, I had to remove it, Do a full reset of the band and start over. More issues, but, hey, things happen, right?

So, the main thing is what was the result. Is it faster? No. Is it smoother? No. Does the system crash? No, but, of course, it never did. Did it cure the plague? No.

The point is that from everything that I can determine, this accomplished nothing, for me, except waste a lot of time. Your mileage may vary.

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Well, in the past I have stated, several times, that I believe that hard resets are, in most cases, both unnecessary and, at times, unwise.

But, as I came from 8.1, on ,my 920, and have been on 10 for a while, now (I'm on .122), and everyone keeps extolling the virtues of a HR, curing all kinds of ills from system crashes to the plague, I decide as it is Sunday and I'm not up to anything special, I'd give it a shot.

All I can say is that, if I decide to do it, again, I hope somebody just shoots me in the head. It took most of the day and evening downloading and resetting apps. Then the damned phone wouldn't connect to my Band 2, so, I had to remove it, Do a full reset of the band and start over. More issues, but, hey, things happen, right?

So, the main thing is what was the result. Is it faster? No. Is it smoother? No. Does the system crash? No, but, of course, it never did. Did it cure the plague? No.

The point is that from everything that I can determine, this accomplished nothing, for me, except waste a lot of time. Your mileage may vary.

I usually hard reset after an update but I didn't after .122. I can't tell any difference. AT ALL.

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site

If the system never crashed, and ran very well, why did you do a hard reset? For fun?

Florin_Anghel

Banned
Oct 7, 2014
Visit site

You probably should have reverted to 8.1 then updated to .122. For me it seems your update is corrupted (keep in mind is cumulative, so one patch can install properly, one can go wrong even if it does not say so).
Usually after a hard reset you should let your phone in idle for about 1-2hours. Then start installing apps. If you chose the path of restore a backup it's even worse.
Lastly you have a 920, the experience of W10M on that phone isn't stellar, and to be honest it's an old phone.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
The one time I did try a hard reset for my phone, lumia 1020, was around builds 10572 or somewhere there.

Issues I had after hard reset was messages not coming back even after a few days but on the other hand battery life was noticeably better

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Those problems OP describes can occur if you restore from a WP 8.1 backup. When I installed W10M I did a Factory Reset and set the phone up as a new device, it's a PITA to set everything up again but the phone runs better because of it.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Those problems OP describes can occur if you restore from a WP 8.1 backup. When I installed W10M I did a Factory Reset and set the phone up as a new device, it's a PITA to set everything up again but the phone runs better because of it.

I think you are reading more into this than you should. My point is, really, that people are constantly saying to do hard resets for many reasons, even if there is none, such as every time you update. I never thought this was true but figured I might see some improvements in speed, etc.

Florin_Anghel

Banned
Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
I think you are reading more into this than you should. My point is, really, that people are constantly saying to do hard resets for many reasons, even if there is none, such as every time you update. I never thought this was true but figured I might see some improvements in speed, etc.

Actually he is right and you seem to deny the reality that you made some bad steps. Not our fault you can't accept the reality.
In general terms a phone really performs better is everything is installed again from scratch.
If you want to accept this ok, otherwise don't argue.

TheRotfler

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
A phone performs better when software is well written. I had several issues with my 920 and every time community suggestion was "hard reset!". I instead waited for an update (OS or app, depending on the kind of the issue) and almost all of them have gone. HR is placebo, a totally waste of time.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
The idea of a hard reset, is to cure bugs and issues, that could be down to potential 'ghost' data lingering. I went from .122 to .1004 and experienced no issues at all, yet others have, and once they HR things improve markedly.

I am stumped as to how a hard reset took most of the day? I read your post and did a HR on my elderly 1320. Took 15 mins tops on .122., around an hour all in with restored and updated apps

anon(9759897)

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
I got fiber the other day, so I ran a speed test on 2 android phones and Lumia 640XL. Andoids were clocking 50Mbps/20Mbps (on my home wifi), Lumia 4Mbps/20Mps. Ping was Android was 3ms, for Lumia 122ms.

This is on latest 122 build which works pretty well for me otherwise.

I did a factory reset and that fixed the issue. At least for download speed, ping is still double digits.

And I agree about rather being shot in the head instead of doing it again. A lot of time wasted resetting apps, removing the ones I don't need, running updates, re-configuring 2 factor authentication, etc (even though I had a recent backup on OneDrive).

M7H

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site

If it is true that a restore from a 8.1 backup gives bad performance on your just to W10 upgraded 8.1 device, I can imagine why the global update to W10 is still not announced by Microsoft!

I did a hard reset once, when I went from 8.1 to 10 (10512), indeed because I had some bugs, and never did a hard reset again, and this is how it should be. Because a lot of people will be complaining if in the future they have to wipe there devices every time a update is pushed by MS.

I also actually technically don't see why restoring a backup is a problem, because you actually don't really restore a backup. Apps are not backed up, your "app list" is. Settings should also not really be a problem, because I think it only is a translation list.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon