[Fix] Why can't Windows 10 connect to the internet while Internet Explorer can?

ShadowTech2008-1

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
First, Sorry about the long post. I like to cover all basis and provide relevant information.

Next so that you know the environment (some are trying this in a company setting) I'm working with contains an enterprise size Sonicwall firewall. In addition have tested this on two (2) of my home customers who recently had this issue.

One had a Netgear wireless router and the other had a Belkin wireless router. The Netgear was working until the customer did a firmware update and then updated their Windows 8.1 to 10. Naturally he thought this was a windows 10 issue. The Belkin purchased their router and PC new from Bust Buy for their daughter.

Lets start with the Sonicwall. First add a service object group ("Win App - Ports"), then add the service object using the port range below. ("Win App - TCP Ports"). Link your object to the group. Next enable your firewall rule to allow outbound traffic from the desired subnet o your WAN port. (I used "WLAN to WAN"). SonicWall firewalls will automatically make a temp return path for the rule when in use so no reflective rule is needed.

For Home Users use just forward the ports to your desired PC. (If you need help please let me know, include the model number and manufacture name of your router).

It took a lot of packet sniffing and Port number gathering. The port range you will need to open are TCP 8000 - 33023

No UDP ports are needed from what I'm seeing. I've tested the forwarded ports with 5 applications including Modern Combat 5, Call of Duty Hero's and Hero's of Order and Chaos. Let me know if you find one that doesn't work so I can test and find the ports for the application using a tool I built up Image

If your store app is not opening or other apps that you have downloaded are not working then run the WSReset.exe from an elevated command prompt.

Once done, and the PC has restarted (if not then restart), open the Microsoft Store app, sign in then close it right away. Don't let anything auto install or download and don't do any updates to the store yet. We want to re-connect your apps first.

Next open PowerShell (run as administrator or it will fail).

Now run the following command:

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register ?$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml?}

Please note this command will install all windows apps and user downloaded apps (from the store). If you see red, then you will want to make sure that the error / message contains "Newer Package Found", if not, make note of the application, then re-install via the store app later . I had one app I needed to do this with.

P.S. Microsoft was a complete waist of time and did not help at all.. In fact they messed up my installation of Windows and all my Visual Studio App packages. I spent 16 hours reloading my system and getting almost everything back in order. So I would recommend not doing a system reset unless absolutely necessary.

I run a computer repair shop during the day and I'm a developer at night. I have been successful with these steps on 15+ computers. Ranging from Windows 8.1 - Windows 10 (latest update). I only had 3 users that I needed to do a remote connection with to the inside of their Network to forward ports.

Let me know if you find an app that is not working and I will use my tool to get the port numbers for the app and post them (after testing for you).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)