OTA vs Insider Builds?

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
OTA vs Insider Builds

When MS releases the W10M OS OTA the build is said to be that of 10586.164 which is currently the TH2 build at the moment. My query is for those who are running the insider build 10586.164 on older Lumias like the L920/820/520/930/1020/1520 from AT&T etc, will those devices receive the same update again from the carrier or will those devices on the insider build receive a different update to tweak what's already there? I'm curious!! All I hear is when will it be released and what iteration will it be but not once have I read if those running insider builds will be updated again via OTA or will they continue as normal or will they receive any tweaks that may be found in the OTA release. Can anyone shed any idea about the possibilities of what may occur?

micallan_17

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
My take is that if you are on .164, (assuming this is the build that will go to the masses) you won't get an OTA update. We will get new builds once Microsoft releases them to non insiders and a build that supersedes .164.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

svknet

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Re: OTA vs Insider Builds

I guess .164 phones would be still getting some firmware updates. TP does not have firmware updates, right?

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site

why should you get the same build again?
nope, if you are already on .164 then you won't get .164 again.

maybe there will be firmware updates for some devices but we have to wait for the announcement to know which phones will get new firmware.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

You'll be patched up to whatever build of OS that Microsoft deems as appropriate, and you'll have a firmware update as applicable. You won't get patched downwards.

It's possible that after the initial update, you may get another update that brings you up to the "Production" ring version.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

today is the big day, lets prove it wrong again microsoft. lol

Why is it the big day?? Until it's officially on MS website, or carrier notifies, why believe rumours and supposition loosely described as news, as in reality are probably click bait so advertisers pay for site to run a bit longer. ;-)

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site

It's never been confirmed that .164 was the release build we will have to wait and see I'm just hoping for a firmware for the 640 to help with battery life

Sent from mTalk

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

It's never been confirmed that .164 was the release build we will have to wait and see I'm just hoping for a firmware for the 640 to help with battery life

Sent from mTalk

Let's hope it's 164 or later. 164 pretty good in 950xl.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
No problems with battery life on my Lumia 640 on .164 since it became available, and no problem with battery life on .122 before that. I suspect it is an app issue. Others have found that the problem was related to email syncing.

With regard to the OTA update my phone is behaving a bit strange. If I select Update & Security>Phone Update the phone just hangs there--nothing happens until it times out or I force the page to close.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
No problems with battery life on my Lumia 640 on .164 since it became available, and no problem with battery life on .122 before that. I suspect it is an app issue. Others have found that the problem was related to email syncing.

With regard to the OTA update my phone is behaving a bit strange. If I select Update & Security>Phone Update the phone just hangs there--nothing happens until it times out or I force the page to close.

As far as checking for the OTA update goes keep trying. I'd imagine that the servers are getting hammered at the moment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos