Build 14291.1001 bugs

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
This build has been terrible for me too, my quick charging doesn't even work. So add fast battery drain to slow charge times and this build is actually unbearable. I've been with insider since the beginning and this is the first build I'm legit hating. I've had every problem talked about so far.
?sporadic email loading
?phone runs hot
?slow charge times
?Bing lock screen doesn't show
? phone hangs on unlock w/ iris and pin frozen. Sometimes just a black screen
?people hub what's new section only loads 7 items
?Slow maps load/ inaccurate readings

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
FIXED! Go to? Settings / Accounts / Email & App Accounts --> Delete your Live account under the "Email, calendar, and contacts" header. Open Outlook Mail app and re-add your Live account. Should fix syncing issues for email, calendar, and--and most importantly--CONTACTS!

I just did this too. Didn't realize my email hadn't been syncing for a week. It was nice and quiet in that time though.

Other than that things have been good. I also installed the new AT&T firmware just before this build. Not sure which one causes my lock screen to get stuck and hang for a few seconds. Battery is draining a bit faster on this build. And baconit will slow down and need a force close once and a while when using it. There is also a bit of lag on the old Windows Central app I'm using right now to type. Text input is a bit slow.

BustyBloke

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
glance screen becomes very dim no matter how you set the brightness.

Peter, I am having this issue too! It's so frustrating because I heavily rely on my Glance screen for notifications (my phone is on silent and no vibration most of the time). Now my Glance screen is so dim that it is essentially invisible - the pixels are faint to the extent that I initially thought it was some sort of screen burn in!

Have you tried hard resetting or rolling back to a production firmware to see if your Glance screen returns to its former bright glory?

The disturbing thing is, according to this thread on MS Answers, it is a hardware fault which requires the whole screen assembly to be replaced!

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mobiledevices/forum/mdlumia-mdsettings/lumia-950-xl-glance-screen-very-dark-nearly/f01b8c81-27e7-4ed8-845b-df62c273c873?page=2

I can't go without my main phone for that long!

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Peter, I am having this issue too! It's so frustrating because I heavily rely on my Glance screen for notifications (my phone is on silent and no vibration most of the time). Now my Glance screen is so dim that it is essentially invisible - the pixels are faint to the extent that I initially thought it was some sort of screen burn in!

Have you tried hard resetting or rolling back to a production firmware to see if your Glance screen returns to its former bright glory?

The disturbing thing is, according to this thread on MS Answers, it is a hardware fault which requires the whole screen assembly to be replaced!

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mobiledevices/forum/mdlumia-mdsettings/lumia-950-xl-glance-screen-very-dark-nearly/f01b8c81-27e7-4ed8-845b-df62c273c873?page=2

I can't go without my main phone for that long!
i dont think this is hardware issue. if the screen itself is in trouble, i should see dim image at every circumstances. the screen behaves normally when using. i dont think this is hardware issue.

just tried a factory reset. problem persists.

i will try updating firmware via WDRT tonight and report the result tomorrow.

BustyBloke

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
i dont think this is hardware issue. if the screen itself is in trouble, i should see dim image at every circumstances. the screen behaves normally when using. i dont think this is hardware issue.

just tried a factory reset. problem persists.

i will try updating firmware via WDRT tonight and report the result tomorrow.

I hope you are right! Plus I have noticed that the Glance info sometimes starts off bright for about half a second, but then immediately fades away, which suggests the hardware itself is fine.

Or our "display memory" modules are broken and we now just have bigger and uglier Lumia 930's on our hands - i.e. no glance :unhappy:

Do keep us posted on if your WDRT firmware flash helps.

nicktramontin

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
If phone is hot and drains there's a massive data upload - download in progress: check Data sensor, apps pending in Store (hamburger, download, check updates), disable Video upload in OneDrive and Show Onedrive photos in Photos

Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be anything as simple as one app obviously consuming all battery. I've checked data stats and battery stats but the battery stats appear to be invalid and seem to only show the apps I've just used (for example I tried to post this reply using windows Central app and it is now saying that used 44.2% battery despite it not being used previously today and notifications and live tile being disabled).

I've disabled most things and even forced battery saver to restrict background jobs and the phone still runs hot. I've disabled OneDrive video upload and OneDrive photos in Photos app, I've checked store, disabled Glance screen, the only other drastic thing left to try is enable flight mode but that will obviously stop the phone from working as a phone so maybe I'll do that tonight.

I've not had to roll back previously but if a new build doesn't come out soon I guess I'll have to. Maybe I should have stuck to Slow Ring builds or gone back to Production.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be anything as simple as one app obviously consuming all battery. I've checked data stats and battery stats but the battery stats appear to be invalid and seem to only show the apps I've just used (for example I tried to post this reply using windows Central app and it is now saying that used 44.2% battery despite it not being used previously today and notifications and live tile being disabled).

I've disabled most things and even forced battery saver to restrict background jobs and the phone still runs hot. I've disabled OneDrive video upload and OneDrive photos in Photos app, I've checked store, disabled Glance screen, the only other drastic thing left to try is enable flight mode but that will obviously stop the phone from working as a phone so maybe I'll do that tonight.

I've not had to roll back previously but if a new build doesn't come out soon I guess I'll have to. Maybe I should have stuck to Slow Ring builds or gone back to Production.

As always said on Insider forum, despite it could be strange or not, smartphones are like desktops, they often takes two day before finishing sybc operation and gain full power. That's "obervation on the field"

Don't touch anymore, exept remember to logout skype video (it's always logged in and drains a lot in background)

Redstone is more unstable than 10586.164, that's a fact. If you prefer going to slow, I fear you must first recover your device to original farm build with WDRT because direct downgrading is not allowed in any o.s. (Redstone is 14XXXX, Slow and Release is 10586.164)
Check yourself tryin changin ring now

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
I hope you are right! Plus I have noticed that the Glance info sometimes starts off bright for about half a second, but then immediately fades away, which suggests the hardware itself is fine.

Or our "display memory" modules are broken and we now just have bigger and uglier Lumia 930's on our hands - i.e. no glance :unhappy:

Do keep us posted on if your WDRT firmware flash helps.
tried. NO LUCK.

I used WDRT to get the latest firmware and roll back from 14291 to 10586. glance screen is still dim.

as you described, it is normal at first but it fades after half a second.

I still don't understand why an OS update would damage the screen. how is it possible?

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I updated last night, and my main MS account was inoperable after the update, so I deleted it and added it again, it looks ok now.

Interestingly, it seems that I must have sold a phone with my "testing" account still on it. I guess I have never had this account synched in contacts.

So I go to send a text, and someone else’s contact list is in my people app. My main account was not there, so none of those contacts were there. Instead, it was a bunch of people I’ve never heard of. I have changed the p/w on that account multiple times, and it doesn’t look there’s ever been any emails sent to/from that account that I don’t recognize.

But, what a weird thing that was to wake up, go to send a text, and I have someone else’s contact list on my phone.

Anyways, that one’s deleted now, and my normal one is back.

I hope this build shakes out OK. I will be traveling again this week, so I will be living with it more intimately over the next few days.

ohrigeeta

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
How do I check the build on my 950xl? Please and thank you. I have signed up for the fast ring but I am not getting any updates...

BustyBloke

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
tried. NO LUCK.

I used WDRT to get the latest firmware and roll back from 14291 to 10586. glance screen is still dim.

as you described, it is normal at first but it fades after half a second.

I still don't understand why an OS update would damage the screen. how is it possible?

Thanks for your testing.

Perhaps it has nothing to do with the OS update after all? Just a coincidence that our 950 XLs' Glance hardware both crapped out in the exact same way and at the exact same time as this new OS came out?

Time to dig out my trusty old 1020 (with fully a functional Glance screen) and send the 950 XL in for repairs then, I guess. Will post here again for those who care.

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
This build steadily gets worse and worse. And has TERRIBLE and MASSIVE battery drain. I wouldn't recommend this build to my worst enemy. I suggest every one who isn't on it to stay away. STAY AWAY.

I've been with Microsoft since the T-Mobile shadow. That was a windows mobile 6.5 device. And this destroy and rebuild cycle they continually go through is starting to really tire me. I'm sooooo close to calling it quits and just getting an iPhone 6s+ and calling it quits. Lately I've just wanted something that works. I'm starting to think microsoft will never get to that point because they never stay with a strategy long enough to improve it to the point where it can be matured to the point where it's equal with iOS.
This build is infuriating because it feels as if instead of working on a base they as always want to tinker, rebuild this, rebuild that and it's truly tiresome. The patchwork strategy will always be inferior to iOS I fear.

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
i went to sleep with the battery on 100%. I woke up and my phone was so dead that the dead battery symbol was the only sign of life. With quick charging broken I have to wait AT LEAST 2 hrs to get at least a 60% charge. I'm questioning the skill of these developers. Fix one thing break 5. Microsoft has some audacity selling the 950xl to the public. They really did sell a beta product and us fanboys actually purchased it. Lol. Smh... Sighs

nicktramontin

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
As always said on Insider forum, despite it could be strange or not, smartphones are like desktops, they often takes two day before finishing sybc operation and gain full power. That's "obervation on the field"

Don't touch anymore, exept remember to logout skype video (it's always logged in and drains a lot in background)

Redstone is more unstable than 10586.164, that's a fact. If you prefer going to slow, I fear you must first recover your device to original farm build with WDRT because direct downgrading is not allowed in any o.s. (Redstone is 14XXXX, Slow and Release is 10586.164)
Check yourself tryin changin ring now

I think I might have to re-flash using WDRT as there is no way back from Redstone. I have the phone on battery saver (forced) and flight mode turned on and the phone is still red hot and burning battery. I tried going through all settings to see if something was incorrectly set but I can't find anything untoward. I have uninstalled Window Central Win10 app from the phone to see if that was a cause (it was top rated in battery usage) but still no joy. I've noticed the lock screen is stating it is using a reasonable amount of battery in the background.

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your testing.

Perhaps it has nothing to do with the OS update after all? Just a coincidence that our 950 XLs' Glance hardware both crapped out in the exact same way and at the exact same time as this new OS came out?

Time to dig out my trusty old 1020 (with fully a functional Glance screen) and send the 950 XL in for repairs then, I guess. Will post here again for those who care.
i found many many feedbacks in feedback hub stating the same problem after the 14267 update. it is mysterious.

darthmilo69

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
Anyone do a hard reset on this build? I know there's a bug that will corrupt your back up but I did it anyways. This build so far has been great. I do experience a lock screen bug that won't let me unlock the phone if there is music playing and the music control pop up comes out. I'm getting better battery life than the .164 build. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Sent from my Lumia 950 XL :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb