EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Finally!

I got a brief test run during lunch after updating using the new Connect app on my SP4 to use Continuum from my 950XL. AWESOME!

Always wondered why it took so long for this feature to be enabled, but looking forward to not having to touch my phone except once to enable the connection at home on my desktop. It would be nice to be able to enable it from the desktop.

Other thing i'm looking forward to is when they get the new mobile bits out to enable texting across devices. Can't wait!

Last edited:

elbimster

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My 950XL can't see my windows 10 pc (just finished the upgrade to 14316). Does the computer need to support miracast in order for continuum to work?

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Finally!

I got a brief test run during lunch after updating using the new Connect app on my SP4 to use Continuum from my 950XL. AWESOME!

Just tried it on my Surface 3 with 14314.... I smiled..... but then realized that touch support is not working, need to use keyboard and mouse I guess! I have the allow connected display inputs to control option on... but I guess touch screen doesn't count.

My main work computer (SP3) is still on windows 8.1. I'm waiting for the last day of the free upgrade before biting on it on my work computer :).... but maybe these recent builds will make me go early :)

rexii23

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

How responsive is it? I found continuum with miracast to be somewhat laggy, fine when watching a video but when I try to type out an email, it's frustrating. Ended up returning my MS wireless display adapter.

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
So touch does work on the SP4. Touch was a hair laggy. I didn't have any issue typing a text to myself though. Didn't try email.

When I got home and updated my pc to the new build and tried to connect, I couldn't. I have a newly built pc with i7 6700k and Asus Pro Gaming mobo. I don't know why it's not working. Not getting any notice that it's being blocked by Windows Firewall. The Connect app is allowed. Don't know what's going on.

rexii23

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
So touch does work on the SP4. Touch was a hair laggy. I didn't have any issue typing a text to myself though. Didn't try email.
Thanks. Might upgrade the TV PC to the new build then. Heaps easier to jump into something productive if I need to while watching TV. Cheers

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
How is 14316 build generally on pc? I'm using a surface 3 and I'm thinking of going to insider. Any issues I should be worried about?

Nabiscuit

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Connect app doesn't work for me. None of my mircast devices, tablets, nor my Lumia 950 can connect to my Surface Pro 4.

I open the app.

All other apps can see the Surface when I go to connect.

I choose the Surface...

then it sits for a little while...

nothing happens on the Surface or in the app

and then on my phone, tablet, whatever - I get the message that says it can't connect... :/

Can't get it to work.

Jessy Tremblay

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Connect app doesn't work for me. None of my mircast devices, tablets, nor my Lumia 950 can connect to my Surface Pro 4.

I open the app.

All other apps can see the Surface when I go to connect.

I choose the Surface...

then it sits for a little while...

nothing happens on the Surface or in the app

and then on my phone, tablet, whatever - I get the message that says it can't connect... :/

Can't get it to work.
+

same thing. sometime the phone or surface flash 2-3 times.

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Just tried it on my Surface 3 with 14314.... I smiled..... but then realized that touch support is not working, need to use keyboard and mouse I guess! I have the allow connected display inputs to control option on... but I guess touch screen doesn't count.

My main work computer (SP3) is still on windows 8.1. I'm waiting for the last day of the free upgrade before biting on it on my work computer :).... but maybe these recent builds will make me go early :)
I installed 14295 on my surface book and everything works fine. you can download the 14295 iso from Microsoft and give your surface a clean install.

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site

the touch screen of my surface book can control my phone in continuum mode. as you can see in the picture I made continuum connection between my 950xl and the surface book and I initiated the camera app of my phone and took photo towards the surface book by touching the screen of surface book.

12931186_214607848909686_9134772575621772834_n.jpg

but........... I don't understand what the usefulness of this feature. if I have a pc, I simply use the pc. I use my phone AS a pc only when I don't actually have a pc. that's the point of continuum. why should I use my phone to act as a pc when I actually have a pc?

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
the touch screen of my surface book can control my phone in continuum mode. as you can see in the picture I made continuum connection between my 950xl and the surface book and I initiated the camera app of my phone and took photo towards the surface book by touching the screen of surface book.

View attachment 124816

but........... I don't understand what the usefulness of this feature. if I have a pc, I simply use the pc. I use my phone AS a pc only when I don't actually have a pc. that's the point of continuum. why should I use my phone to act as a pc when I actually have a pc?

Well, you just answered one of your own questions with that photo. Maybe you wanted to have your phone stationary in one place for a group photo, you could take the photo from your laptop.

Other uses for me would be just phone management like being able to arrange tiles, do updates, have a secondary pc for work only, i'm sure there are other uses. Most of that could be done with a way to mirror the phone start screen like Apple does in itunes, also being able to push through Wifi updates through the WP/W10M app without touching the phone would be nice as well as being able to restart it.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
<SNIP>

Thanks, so something is not quite right with mine! Anyways, I tried connecting today and I can't even see the surface 3 display anymore for some reason :D

I'm attracted to it cause I like working in contained environments. eg: for personal or for work. I hate doing personal stuff on work networks :) I would totally use this to keep my laptop connected on work while having my phone to browse personal stuff via my data plan or something. All windowed and on the single desktop.

Picture taking is an option @eminent1 but I would hope a better solution for remote picture taking, like Hey Cortana, take my picture. How come we don't have that yet :(

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

View attachment 124816

When all Windows 10 devices have this, then you may find value - be able to use your phone as a real PC anywhere without taking the PC there. So your files stay private on your mobile, but you have a full PC experience.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99