Pre-Windows 10 device users post your experince with 14322

Eduard Vlad Ilie

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I want to center a little bit the discusions that are going on in the forums about the build 14322. I want to know how the pre-w10 devices are handling the new fast ring build. Tell me your thoughts about what has been improved and what bugs do you find. My 930 has touch issues and battery drainage (again) so im thinking about switching back all the way to 8.1 and wait for anniversary update.

Posted from WC for W10 running on my 930.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I want to center a little bit the discusions that are going on in the forums about the build 14322. I want to know how the pre-w10 devices are handling the new fast ring build. Tell me your thoughts about what has been improved and what bugs do you find. My 930 has touch issues and battery drainage (again) so im thinking about switching back all the way to 8.1 and wait for anniversary update.

Better for you reverting via WDRT then going to WIndows Update Advisor. Last official build is very nice (10586.218)

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
before you do that, disable skype video, photos and all apps with high usage from running in the background, wait a day or two, you will probably like your battery life

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

Better posting in the Windows Insider forum...

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
On my Lumia 640, everything is going well so far. I've not experienced any of the issues others have spoken of. However, every time I go to a new build, I have bad battery drain for the first 48 hours. After that, it usually settles down for me quite a bit, but battery usage won't be fully optimized until closer to release of this branch. It's usually one of the last things they optimize.

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
On my 930 it's probably the worst build so far! The last Redstone build was good but I've given up with the phone (it's a backup) until the next update.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm having more crashes and having to soft reset more often now that I've been using it for a while.

Mobile hotspot sporadically stops working, soft reset fixes, but it's a hassle. Not a deal breaker, though. Random app crashes. Apps "stuck" in the store after successfully downloading. A couple of apps in my all apps list have the "installed app" followed by one that is still pending download, but they are the same app.

So far nothing that keeps me from using it as a daily driver, since I'm retired and generally don't have to depend on it for critical situations.

Had those issues on the previous Redstone build, and a hard reset seemed to clear everything up. I'm wondering if another Hard Reset is in my near future. I'll wait and see if another build is being announced soon, and just do it all at once I suppose.

Eduard Vlad Ilie

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately im not as lucky as you since the 930 it's my daily driver and I depend on my phone. I'm a university student, so all the classes, e-mail, its in my phone. But the build has stabilized a bit, there are some hiccups like apps not launching or battery drainage but its a good build if you have the charger with you :)

David Carrera

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
What be wondered, and is probably.more likely than nit, is that with these builds, Microsoft is probably running diagnostic tools in the background that we don't get to see, as if the builds are self reporting as part of the telemetry data Microsoft collects. I think this would contribute to poorer battery life and warmer devices.

Eduard Vlad Ilie

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Update 2
It seems that if an app doesn't lunch or it says loading all the time, a quick fix is to restart the phone and after using the app don't close it. Leave it in the background.

Also the touch imput bugg doesn't appear when the phone is charging with the original charger.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
@OP: Since majority of the users on the Windows Phone platform are using pre-WM10 release devices I do not see a reason to have a dedicated thread, it only causes more fragmentation. Let me know your thoughts before I merge this thread with the existing bugs+defects thread.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
What be wondered, and is probably.more likely than nit, is that with these builds, Microsoft is probably running diagnostic tools in the background that we don't get to see, as if the builds are self reporting as part of the telemetry data Microsoft collects. I think this would contribute to poorer battery life and warmer devices.

Ding ding ding! You've got it. As someone with 30+ years experience as a programmer/developer, the best way to find the bugs in something very complex is to have extra code execution put in that can be later removed. Then, as the software is run, it will compile reports showing how the different areas of the software is performing. This makes it easier to locate the problem areas and identify what to do about them to get them fixed. Yes, it causes lots of extra CPU cycles, which introduces extra heat and power requirements.

So, people, THIS is why battery life is always bad on these early Insider builds, as it has been from the beginning of the insider program way back when. It is also why battery life improves dramatically, seemingly overnight almost, once bugs are almost completely gone and it is nearing release. There are "conditional" statements that can be placed around the debug code. Then a variable can be defined at the beginning of the code stating something like, "DEBUG_MODE = ON". Switch that to OFF, and it will no longer compile with those lines of code and all the extra CPU cycles will immediately disappear, yet they can turn it back on for the next internal build.

I tried to put it into layman terms, so other developers, please don't pick on the syntax of the above DEBUG_MODE, as it is meant as a teaching tool to non-programmers.

Hope it helps explain a bit.

And, developers, if you aren't using these types of techniques in your code, you should be. It saves a LOT of headaches and hassles, and helps you to fix things much more quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720