Outlook Mail and Calendar live tile not updating

wgrs

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, I don't understand what is so difficult with live tiles that they can't fix it over many months. A moderate programmer should be able to implement this in a day or two.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Honestly, I don't understand what is so difficult with live tiles that they can't fix it over many months. A moderate programmer should be able to implement this in a day or two.
Laziness, carelessness, incompetent programmers... You choose. I think they just didn't give enough attention to this issue, but they have to fix this before moving on with adding new features.

For example, Microsofts Skype for Android doesn't have an option to change IM notification sound for five years now, while the default notification sound is too silent.

Sent from mTalk on Windows 10 phone

Puppy2016

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
Outlook mail and calendar live tile will only work if you update the build but once hard reset it will not work again.
I can confirm that, thanks for the post ! I spent almost one day trying to fix that by many hard reset attempts :angry: On my other older phone it works because of regular updates. Now I got a new one. It worked after first update to .448 version but there was another issue, creating a new email and typing into To field did not invoke the people contact list so I decided to hard reset ... and you know the rest of the story.

I'll wait whether the tuesday's regular update next week fixes that before going the WDRT path.

I don't get why Microsoft can't fix such easily reproducible bug. Is there any way to report it ?

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
You can report it in the feedback hub. Or from the Outlook app, just tap on the feedback button... But I think that this issue has been reported by million of users since July or even before. I think I have tread that users has this issue even back in April it May when they released Redstone 1 to insider preview.

Puppy2016

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
I think I have tread that users has this issue even back in April it May when they released Redstone 1 to insider preview.
Does it mean that a monthly "patch tuesday" update won't fix it ? Does the "will only work if you update the build" applies to any build (it just needs to go through the update process to fix that) or a pre Redstone 1 one is required as a starting point ? It is Lumia 650 so there is no way going back to 8.1.

Last edited:

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Does it mean that a monthly "patch tuesday" update won't fix it ? Does the "will only work if you update the build" applies to any build (it just needs to go through the update process to fix that) or a pre Redstone 1 one is required as a starting point ? It is Lumia 650 so there is no way going back to 8.1.
Most likely patch Tuesday won't help you. What we sadly need in my opinion on an update for Outlook mail & calendar, but there were so many of those, and no fix for this issue yet. I was waiting for the fix since July until October, and no updates helped. That story about update is just "in general". Like "if you have some issue, update your Windows 10 Mobile build and your Calendar apps version, and we hope the issue your having has been solved". It this case - they haven't solved it.

But yes, in this case in particular, it helps to get to Threshold 2 I think. Some you have Lumia 650 forget about wp8.1, and in fact, it should be easier for you.

You would need to use Windows Device Recovery Tool to reinstall Windows 10 Mobile, update all apps, setup Calendar, and then update to Redstone 1, that is to the current version. Unfortunately, I only don't know which build of Windows 10 Mobile you would get with WDRT for Lumia 650, but if you would get a Threshold 2 build, such as *.107, then that's the solution for you! Plus, it would be easier for you to do all that than for us with older Lumia's. You don't have to upgrade to w10m, etc...

And if you do this, don't use your restore points, setup everything manually. And avoid doing a hard reset while after you upgrade to Redstone 1.

Puppy2016

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
You would need to use Windows Device Recovery Tool to reinstall Windows 10 Mobile, update all apps, setup Calendar, and then update to Redstone 1
This is what I did but it had caused different issue I already described, missing contact list in new email To field. This is hopeless

I posted it to Technet forum hoping to get an attention :cry:

Puppy2016

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
Unfortunately, I only don't know which build of Windows 10 Mobile you would get with WDRT for Lumia 650, but if you would get a Threshold 2 build, such as *.107, then that's the solution for you!
It is reported as 10586.13333 that is supposed to be 10.0.10586.494, the latest before Redstone 1. Am I out of luck ?

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
This is what I did but it had caused different issue I already described, missing contact list in new email To field. This is hopeless

I posted it to Technet forum hoping to get an attention :cry:
Don't you at least have this button to add an address from your contacts?
6UDcT6I.jpg

It is reported as 10586.13333 that is supposed to be 10.0.10586.494, the latest before Redstone 1. Am I out of luck ?
You're not out of luck. If you setup the calendar while in that build, the tile should work fine. Also, before trying to setup any app just wait until this app has been updated to the latest version.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Me too... Well, speaking of not displaying names - be and my girlfriend both have the issue that when I send an email from my phone, my name is not being displayed as senders name, but only my address. I have noticed that issue on several other w10m phones, and I may also assume that all w10m users have this issue. Though I don't have this issue with my Outlook account, only with Gmail, and my email account for work.

wizbit

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I've just loaded RS2 to see if it acts differently, as I thought I might as well if I'm going to have to reload from WDRT. But it's the same. Going to wait one more week for them to fix and I will comment on the TechNet link.

Puppy2016

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
when I send an email from my phone, my name is not being displayed as senders name, but only my address. I have noticed that issue on several other w10m phones
This is completely different issue. It affects IMAP accounts and started when outlook email aliases support was introduced (April 2016 IIRC). There are tons of reports of this bug in both Answers forums and Feedback app, apparently without any response from Microsoft :angry: It affects both Mobile and PC version of Mail application.

wgrs

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Me too... Well, speaking of not displaying names - be and my girlfriend both have the issue that when I send an email from my phone, my name is not being displayed as senders name, but only my address. I have noticed that issue on several other w10m phones, and I may also assume that all w10m users have this issue. Though I don't have this issue with my Outlook account, only with Gmail, and my email account for work.

Exactly same issue here. I use Gmail only. I tried all things including extensive web search to solve this issue: no user name when sending Gmail.

I gave up on this. At least the mails arrive, we should be happy. Mostly I use the iPad for sending mails and there I don't have this issue. W10M is a beta only OS.

svknet

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded to .576 version. But before upgrading, to my surprise, Outlook Calendar Tile displayed today's date!
As per my daily ritual I unlocked screen thinking to resize Calendar tile to update data and events. But Live tile was already displaying today's date. Though I had no event for today, so no events on Tile. I will add few events for tomorrow and check if tile updates correctly tomorrow.

mjyumping

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded to .576 version. But before upgrading, to my surprise, Outlook Calendar Tile displayed today's date!
As per my daily ritual I unlocked screen thinking to resize Calendar tile to update data and events. But Live tile was already displaying today's date. Though I had no event for today, so no events on Tile. I will add few events for tomorrow and check if tile updates correctly tomorrow.
I think the easiest way to test the outlook tile, lets say, to send a mail from other accounts to your account, and see if the Outlook mail tile refreshes. The Mail and Calendar are tied together, that's why they have the same tile problems.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Yes, but I have never has that same problem with Outlook mail tile. Only once, but simple restart solved the issue then.

Puppy2016

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
I think the easiest way to test the outlook tile, lets say, to send a mail from other accounts to your account, and see if the Outlook mail tile refreshes. The Mail and Calendar are tied together, that's why they have the same tile problems.
You can just add a new calendar event scheduled to next hour and check the Calendar live tile.

After the WDRT cure and updating to .576 including apps all issues are resolved for me. Both live tiles issue and missing contact list in new email To field issue are resolved now. Battery drain is about 0.5% per hour.

Unfortunately it seems as Microsoft does not care about the hard reset issue at all. There is no response in Technet forum yet. I also added it as comment in the WDRT tool.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb