Outlook Mail and Calendar live tile not updating

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
You can just add a new calendar event scheduled to next hour and check the Calendar live tile.

After the WDRT cure and updating to .576 including apps all issues are resolved for me. Both live tiles issue and missing contact list in new email To field issue are resolved now. Battery drain is about 0.5% per hour.

Unfortunately it seems as Microsoft does not care about the hard reset issue at all. There is no response in Technet forum yet. I also added it as comment in the WDRT tool.
I am happy to hear you made it. :)

Sent from mTalk on Windows 10 phone

mjyumping

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
You can just add a new calendar event scheduled to next hour and check the Calendar live tile.

After the WDRT cure and updating to .576 including apps all issues are resolved for me. Both live tiles issue and missing contact list in new email To field issue are resolved now. Battery drain is about 0.5% per hour.

Unfortunately it seems as Microsoft does not care about the hard reset issue at all. There is no response in Technet forum yet. I also added it as comment in the WDRT tool.
With the WDRT cure you did, did you restore from a back up? I'd like to try that technique, but I want to restore from my current backup. Do you think it would be alright?

svknet

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I think the easiest way to test the outlook tile, lets say, to send a mail from other accounts to your account, and see if the Outlook mail tile refreshes. The Mail and Calendar are tied together, that's why they have the same tile problems.
Yesterday I added event for next day (15-Dec), and after sometime event started displaying on Lock screen and Tile for "Tomorrow".
BUT... today again Live Tile was static with no date or event. Just Outlook Calendar icon.
I am not sure why it worked fine only for one day yesterday (14-Dec).

Come on Microsoft!!! Fix this!!!

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
With the WDRT cure you did, did you restore from a back up? I'd like to try that technique, but I want to restore from my current backup. Do you think it would be alright?
You should do no backup, but to do a clean install of everything. Because you cannot apply Redstone 1 backup on Threshold 2 (as far as I know, I have never tried that, but Microsoft was speaking about that at some moment), so to apply your backup you would have to do a hard reset on Redstone 1 and that would bring the problem back.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
I upgraded to .576 version. But before upgrading, to my surprise, Outlook Calendar Tile displayed today's date!
As per my daily ritual I unlocked screen thinking to resize Calendar tile to update data and events. But Live tile was already displaying today's date. Though I had no event for today, so no events on Tile. I will add few events for tomorrow and check if tile updates correctly tomorrow.
Yesterday I added event for next day (15-Dec), and after sometime event started displaying on Lock screen and Tile for "Tomorrow".
BUT... today again Live Tile was static with no date or event. Just Outlook Calendar icon.
I am not sure why it worked fine only for one day yesterday (14-Dec).

Come on Microsoft!!! Fix this!!!
I had same experience too before doing the WDRT thing... For some moments it looked fine by actually it wasn't. It was just the case that reinstalling the app forced the tile to update at that single moment, but the issue hasn't been resolved.

wizbit

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I've "Bitten the Bullet" and reloaded the WDRT, upgraded to W10 (.107 I think) hard reset then set it up again. After I was happy with the setup, I then upgrade to RS1. It's now working again. Hope I never have to reset again any time soon and because if this issue, no more fast ring for me...

mjyumping

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I know that reinstalling the app doesn't fix the issue, but, I am just curious on how do you uninstall a built-in app like Outlook on Redstone 1?

wgrs

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I know that reinstalling the app doesn't fix the issue, but, I am just curious on how do you uninstall a built-in app like Outlook on Redstone 1?

On RS2/fast ring I could install it even on SD card. Was buggy as hell, outlook not working at all. Delete and reinstall internal.

Yes, it's that buggy.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Wait, so on Redstone 2 you already have an option to reinstall a system app, or perhaps even to uninstall it?

Puppy2016

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
Don't you at least have this button to add an address from your contacts?
The issue is still there. It works for contacts you had when first connected to Microsoft account but not for new ones. I can reproduce it using this steps, can anyone please confirm it ?

1. open People app and add a new contact:

Name: John Smith

Email: js@something.abc

2. open Outlook Mail app (use default Outlook.com account)

3. create a new email

4. on To field, press the people contacts blue icon on the right side

5. select the John Smith from contatcs and confirm, you are back in Outlook Mail app

Expected: email To field have blue 'John Smith' recipient added with email address js@something.abc inside

Actual: email To field have blue ' js@something.abc' recipient added with email address js@something.abc inside

The recipient name is not copied from the people contact list anymore.

Puppy2016

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
Most likely patch Tuesday won't help you. What we sadly need in my opinion on an update for Outlook mail & calendar, but there were so many of those, and no fix for this issue yet.
There is an interesting observation from the Technet thread. It seems as the dead live tile issue after hard reset is caused by fresh profile without using saved settings on restore (which I always do to prevent any other mess) only.

wgrs

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Wait, so on Redstone 2 you already have an option to reinstall a system app, or perhaps even to uninstall it?

No, you still cannot move or delete system apps. It is just another bug that you can do it now with Outlook.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Maybe it just needs to sync something... I haven't tried what you described though.
There is an interesting observation from the Technet thread. It seems as the dead live tile issue after hard reset is caused by fresh profile without using saved settings on restore (which I always do to prevent any other mess) only.
Interesting. So when you do a hard reset with applying a backup, then the issue shouldn't show up. At least if the issue wasn't present at the moment of creating the backup.
No, you still cannot move or delete system apps. It is just another bug that you can do it now with Outlook.
Interesting. Thanks for clarification. :)

wizbit

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't know why I didn't think of the Interop tool. In fact, it solved a long problem I've had with my wife's phone and the mail app using too much storage. Great app!

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site

Just to be sure. So if I was to make a backup with my Lumia 532, do a hard reset, and restore my setting with that backup, I shouldn't get this issue?

Why I'm asking is because I should get a Lumia 730 in few days, and I am planning to upgrade it to Windows 10 Mobile. Now, what I originally wanted to do was to install Windows 10 Mobile on it, login there with my account, and start fresh - without loading any backups, but the only reason for that was this problem with Calendar live tile not refreshing automatically. On the other hand, it would be really great if I didn't have to start from fresh, because in that case almost everything would go automatically, and I would need to do only some minor things manually, plus I wouldn't lose words added to keyboard prediction.

Still, maybe I should do a clean install regardless...

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
That could mean that the issue has been fixed by Microsoft to some extent. Not sure, but as we understood this issue before, now the issue shouldn't appear even after hard reset. I mean, if reinstalling application helps, then so should hard reset.

I hope I'm not wrong.

svknet

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Finally Calendar Live Tile issue resolved for me after I recovered my Lumia 830 through Windows Device Recovery Tool.
Half of my Sunday wasted in this lengthy process, in which phone got downgraded to WP8.1 by downloading almost 1.79 GB. Then installed Upgrade Advisor to get W10M, then 1-2 updated for W10M. Then configured all apps again. Overall 12-14 hours and 3-4 GB of data utilised in this process!!!
Few other issues like Google Contact not displaying also resolved. And profile pics also recovered for all contacts which I had assigned earlier.

Now I will never ever factory reset my phone again!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte