Removed features: What do you miss the most?

Playstore Awah

May 1, 2015
Visit site
i dont see why the FM Radio was removed .This built in app was reliable even without internet connection
i dont think we must be connected to be informed ...

Kimmo Toivanen

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
For example Here Drive - why MSFT forced us to stop using it in newer versions of W10M? Okay, I understand this is not their property anymore, they won't support it anymore and so on. But why they stop/ remove the apps at all and forced us to use another products - is it not possible just to stop development and updating it, but to be still available for using???

It could be decision of HERE, not MS. If you can check HERE on Android, the UI is way better than on WP8.1. Development is where the users are...

Nokia did some nice things to WP. Some of those MS has been integrating to OS and apps (e.g. imaging API), sometimes with less than stellar success (e.g. camera). The rest they are cutting away for good :)

One thing missing from W10M is MS weather on lock screen. Maybe they are leaving that to 3rd party apps ;)

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
My L930 has the latest WM10 insider build, and I have the option. Not sure what app it was that adds the setting, but it's still an option.

It's there in non Insider too now on some Lumias,after an update to Settings>Extras > Touch.
My 535 DS has it now after the update.

laevanay

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
It was *never* part of the OS - so what you're saying is irrelevant. It's part of Nokia's apps that came installed with the phones (and subsequently updated).

My L930 has the latest WM10 insider build, and I have the option. Not sure what app it was that adds the setting, but it's still an option.

I am running WM10 on a dual sim Lumia 950. Can you share with us what Setting, Flip to Silence is under?

King Nerd III

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
Honestly, I would have to go back to 8.1/7 and use them for a bit to find any features that I miss. I think that means the features I would miss were not important enough to remember, but I'm not sure.
What I'm saying is that there aren't any major important features missing that I want back.
Edit: for the 950XL specifically, I miss double tap to wake up.

zhris

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
FM radio getting ripped out was a kick in the teeth for me. When I had my 925 (and then my 640), I used to brag about it to my Android-using friends. Now that it's been gutted and I'm an Android user myself (removing FM was a reason, but not the only one), I guess the joke's on me.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
FM radio getting ripped out was a kick in the teeth for me. When I had my 925 (and then my 640), I used to brag about it to my Android-using friends. Now that it's been gutted and I'm an Android user myself (removing FM was a reason, but not the only one), I guess the joke's on me.

There are some 3rd party fabolous radio apps. Are you joking. Everyone blaming app-gap, when there's anything you need. OMG

Niavlys77

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

They ripped it out of WP8 as well - and added it back later on...no clue why they removed it all over again. Solid Microsoft logic right there.

Damionix

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Things I miss.

- The METRO Interface. This was why I fell in love with Windows Phone. It was beautiful, unique, and fluid. Did I mention FLUID?
- The Old Photo Application was just beautiful.
-Music + Videos were awesome and just worked no matter how large your library was. It was great. But they started ruining it in Windows Phone 8.1
- Swiping right in Camera application to bring on the Camera roll. Why would you take something that awesome off.
- One place for Messaging. Chat integration into the SMS App
-Square icons for People App
- The Metro aspect of people app and having to swipe left and right to move between sections.
- The integration of facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.
- Stability and FLUIDITY. Did Mention that Metro UI was the Most Fluid Mobile OS I EVER CAME ACROSS?

TheFerrango

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
- The METRO Interface. This was why I fell in love with Windows Phone. It was beautiful, unique, and fluid. Did I mention FLUID?

If there's one thing I don't miss is Microsoft's constant banging on the words "fast and fluid". Not only they bored everyone to death with those words, but we all saw where that went when Windows 10 Mobile came along

zhris

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
There are some 3rd party fabolous radio apps. Are you joking. Everyone blaming app-gap, when there's anything you need. OMG

Because "there's an app for that" is a stupid excuse for something that 1) was initially part of the OS itself, 2) required little to no ongoing developer maintenance, and 3) worked just fine. There was no reason to remove it, except to push more people onto data streaming, which is not a customer-friendly decision.Not everyone wants Billy Joe Bob's Super Awesome Thingamijig client, that may or may not be stealing all your info, have next to no support, or even exist in a month. Some people are more comfortable with the official software. I don't care how 'fabolous' an app may or may not be, I'd still prefer something MSFT rolled out themselves to something some random dude cranked out in his basement while watching Game of Thrones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte