Removed features: What do you miss the most?

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, I don't really feel I've lost any features of value. I actually wanted rooms gone, and I'll be glad when WiFi Sense is dead too because I never wanted them. I'd like to be able to see "last updated" in the store again, but that's not such a big thing.

What I miss is more of an "era" - that fresh debut of 8.1. Phones like the Lumia 820 that had low storage and an SD card slot finally got to soar with storage sense. We still had the "Metro" Facebook app... and the developers still cared about heavily integrating the metro style layout into apps like JobLens and whatnot.

...also, with Windows 10, I lost a couple games that I played quite a lot. No Mass Effect Infiltrator crashes upon load instantly, Spectral Souls fails to load any graphics, Terraria got patched apparently, but we still don't have it, and I can't count how many times I've emailed Square Enix about Chaos Rings... I know it'd be bogus to blame that on Windows 10 since it's shoddy developers being shoddy, but they're four of my favorite games to play on WP that I just can't anymore.

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
On Xbox Music, holding the next/previous track button allowed FAST scrolling forward/backward. I download large audio files (sometimes 3-4 hours), and with Groove Music, fast forwarding and backwards is very slow and imprecise compared to Xbox music.

MPerz

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
I don't post on very many Internet forums, but this threat really caught my interest. Here are just a few of the things that I miss dearly - some functional, some purely aesthetic:

-Metro interface (with right side "gutter" on Start screen!)
-Full system back-up to PC (WP7.x)
-Wireless sync to PC while charging (WP7.x)
-Simple arrow icon to indicate "All apps" at bottom of Start screen (with bounce animation on WP7)
-Photos app film strip
-Wi-Fi geofencing

The last one is huge for me as I sometimes disable Wi-Fi at work and forget to turn it back on when I get home.

TOF1339

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I sincerely miss Windows Media Center. That is the Only one to my knowledge that allows watching/recording DRM channels. I know several people who see no need to lose that capability and will stick with 7/8.1 as long as possible. If the current WMC Patch refuses to work in the 14xxx releases instead of like it does in the current 10586 release then I will stay with that as long as I can.

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
from windows phone 7.5-7.8 camera extras the metering mode , from windows 8.1 smartcamera, Refocus, panorama , suppose they would add those features on the cam app but looks like they again lied to us.

the hubs instead of the separated apps, and the facebook integration on people hubs
and improve the camera app

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
On my Lumia 640, flip to silence is under settings->extras->Touchinput and here the second trigger. I translated it from german to english, so it may differ on your phone (or maybe this feature is phone relevant ...)

edit: the location of this setting seems a bit stupid as it has nothing to do with touch...
on the 950 is not such option

muvig

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
For me Missing

1) FM Radio
2)Photosynth
3)% Battery Tile
4)QR Scanner (native)
5)Store that showed App. updates
6)Independent PIN for OneDrive

Wish List
1)permanent Battery % icon
2)Editable mobile 1, mobile 2 e.t.c to my own labels
3)Able to choose which apps connects to Data (mobile) & which connect thru WI-FI just like on Lenovo Phones, this is necessary for those using prepaid, you buy an air time token in order to make a call only to discover that all the money has been used by apps syncs, & updates that could have waited for me when i am connected to WI-FI. Disabling data would also affect apps like Whatsapp.

mullern

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
-Wi-Fi geofencing

The last one is huge for me as I sometimes disable Wi-Fi at work and forget to turn it back on when I get home.

I strongly second the WiFi geofencing. I loved that option to "switch off and forget" WiFi, and automagically get it back in the office, at home, or whatever other place you often are.

thatguyhex

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
-Wi-Fi geofencing

Ditto. It made using my phone feel a bit like magic. That quality was something that really set Windows Phone apart from other mobile operating systems.

breaker119

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I am going to miss Kid's Corner - I tested App Corner this weekend as a replacement. ABSOLUTELY NOT a replacement or viable alternative. The tiles are reset every time you open it, and it is very slow.

Niavlys77

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Adding to my list...having a OneNote that actually syncs.

Any phone I've upgraded to WM10, I eventually realise it never syncs with my changes from my OneNote on my desktop PC. This had led me to revert back to WP8.1 3 times now.. finally found a workaround ("close" the notebook which removes it from your notebook list, then re-open it from OneDrive) but it's annoying to have to do.

creanyo

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
1. FM Radio app ( I know there are other third parties app but they can't control the volume so, FM radio can't be used with speakers.
2. double tap to wake up the phone, hopefully they can add this in the future for latest Lumia

regards!

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
1. FM Radio app ( I know there are other third parties app but they can't control the volume so, FM radio can't be used with speakers.

2. double tap to wake up the phone, hopefully they can add this in the future for latest Lumia

regards!

Double tap to wake is still there.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
829208dd94ba49e28b85c97e6b312a83.png
4813487e83b466650c63e95d297069b0.png
I miss mix radio. It was much more colourful and I don't know why but the sound was way better on it then Xbox music / Groove.
I miss the old Equaliser app you could do alot more on it.

BluetoothFairy1

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
Well for me HERE apps used to be part of Lumia features and we use the offline maps & transit heavily for years. Then few months back they stopped the updates so we will never see them in UWP.

They actually built the HERE engine into the native Windows 10 Maps application, so you get it back, nearly all of it.
As a heavy HERE user, I was not happy seeing them leave, since the Maps app was abysmal. But since then, they've really improved the app and added many HERE features.
You still get the offline maps, you still get HERE mapping engine, you still get the navigation, audible speed limit warnings, live traffic.
The only thing they did not add is the full commute feature as HERE used to give on a live tile. Still work in progress, but it's now formidable.
What was bad for me was having to migrate all my favorites and manually enter them into Cortana from HERE website.

IMO, maps is nearly as good in its current state as HERE suite was. I did not use HERE Transit, so I cannot comment on that one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes