Removed features: What do you miss the most?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
For the last time:

Previous win 8.1 upgraded to 10 still got duouble tap to wake.
New phones born with 10 doesn't got that, I guess in next upgraded firmwares (I bet due to the old 950 interference with proximity sensor bug)

NikG90

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
reading this makes me soo sad. everything that gets removed are the unique things that make the phones stand out from android and apple. people arnt going to convert because the phones can doo what apple and android can do, they will convert because of what the others CAN'T do! I hope microsoft gets that one day.

FM radio (great when you loose internet!)
supersensitive touch (I know hardware but why remove from flagships?!)
swipe right gallery in camera
wifi sense
kids corner (I hope they mane app corner accessable from lock screen soon)
hub layouts (used to be stand out feature and made the phones soo cool!)
games in the app list (everything is soo messy now!)
native qr scanner

Ahhhhhh there is just soo soo much! ive given up with WM10. my next phone will be android as there is not much my phone can do that theirs cant. especially when microsoft regularly prioritises the development of microsoft apps on android to windows mobile: microsoft dosnt believe in their own phones, why should I?!

shovelhead84

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I miss the interesting an unique things my phone did before 10.
I miss how my windows phone made me hopeful that there would be a true alternative out there.
I miss the patience I had for so many years, supporting a concept.
I miss looking forward to a fully developed hardware/software experience.
I miss the pride of supporting a new product and direction.
Most of all, I miss enjoying Microsoft products.....

WPhoner

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I miss the interesting an unique things my phone did before 10.
I miss how my windows phone made me hopeful that there would be a true alternative out there.
I miss the patience I had for so many years, supporting a concept.
I miss looking forward to a fully developed hardware/software experience.
I miss the pride of supporting a new product and direction.
Most of all, I miss enjoying Microsoft products.....

I dont think I'm quite there yet, but I know what you mean. The thing that really gets my goat are the things that are, or used to be in WM8 (or 10) being paraded as a "brand new feature in the most innovative iphone yet!" ..Welcome to 2014 apple. innovative? not for awhile now.

and the whole time MS is willing to share its rich portfolio, apple and google hold their cards close, denying us the apps that would bolster WM10, thus creating the infamous "app gap". further to that, they would block any windows version (insta, youtube, snapchat) that was not explicitly created by them. I dont blame developers for not wanting to "waste time" building an app that would ultimately be blocked, or be a headache of jumping through hoops to get it to work.

Bottom line is, MS need to put out such a solid product that it is undeniable, the way the surface changed the landscape of the laptop industry. (and practically killed the ipad)

jcar302

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm pissed they removed the spoken caller id.
It rang, read the name or number, rang, name or number etc...
Was one of my favorite things about my phone.
It was under ease of access on 8.1

Regardless, i feel like my 830 runs like crap with windows 10, so i'm going back to 8.1
The camera is border line useless, by the time it takes a picture, the subject is normally gone.

shovelhead84

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I dont think I'm quite there yet, but I know what you mean. The thing that really gets my goat are the things that are, or used to be in WM8 (or 10) being paraded as a "brand new feature in the most innovative iphone yet!" ..Welcome to 2014 apple. innovative? not for awhile now.

and the whole time MS is willing to share its rich portfolio, apple and google hold their cards close, denying us the apps that would bolster WM10, thus creating the infamous "app gap". further to that, they would block any windows version (insta, youtube, snapchat) that was not explicitly created by them. I dont blame developers for not wanting to "waste time" building an app that would ultimately be blocked, or be a headache of jumping through hoops to get it to work.

Bottom line is, MS need to put out such a solid product that it is undeniable, the way the surface changed the landscape of the laptop industry. (and practically killed the ipad)

I know I am not the only one....
I understand MS spreading their services and software to Apple and Android. I DO NOT understand why I still feel like my 950XL is less enjoyable and stable than my 1520 was. I was understandable when I grabbed the 950XL as a pre-order and 10 was fresh. I expected the features that were missing to come quickly with updates. I was wrong.

Lagur

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
They actually built the HERE engine into the native Windows 10 Maps application, so you get it back, nearly all of it.
As a heavy HERE user, I was not happy seeing them leave, since the Maps app was abysmal. But since then, they've really improved the app and added many HERE features.
You still get the offline maps, you still get HERE mapping engine, you still get the navigation, audible speed limit warnings, live traffic.
The only thing they did not add is the full commute feature as HERE used to give on a live tile. Still work in progress, but it's now formidable.
What was bad for me was having to migrate all my favorites and manually enter them into Cortana from HERE website.

IMO, maps is nearly as good in its current state as HERE suite was. I did not use HERE Transit, so I cannot comment on that one.

Yeah funny I've been using 3rd party apps for a while and never knew Maps is already using HERE engine until last few weeks.

I'm already starting to get used to on the UI and transit seems to be integrated as well. Though I'm experiencing crashes from time to time. Hoping for more stability in Anniversary Update.

realbart

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I hate not having native QR support, integrated in bing vision.

I don't need to scan a QR code or a Bar Code often, but when I do, I need it FAST.
It used to take two taps: magnifying glass, eye.

Then it took a few more

Now it takes a 3rd party app.

---

And then I liked the integration, grouping into hubs.
Photo hub showed photos from many sources.
People hub showed most things you could do with a person, and their facebook/linkedin posts
(I was waiting for an open apo, so other social networks could plugin. Never happened.)

MSN/Facebook/SMS were shown in ONE dialog timeline.
(I was waiting for an open api so WhatsApp could plugin. Never happened.)

---

I liked that you never had to tap in the upper left corner. Apps used the caroussel interface, allowing you to swipe through the screens. I liked the spatial map this created in my head: it made apps so much simpler. I liked the original spotify app. (I believe I was one of the few)

---

So what I liked about Windows Phone 7, is that the let go of existing things and re-though usability. This made me use my first smart phone.
I hated most Android flavours, and I didn't like iOS very much either. (I've tried iOS for the past few months and it's actually not that bad. It took some good things from Windows Phone, while Windows seemed to take all the bad things from Android and iOS.

Still. If Continuum works, I'll still be glad to use it.

Last edited:

algor

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
FM radio. And the most unpleasant way : how it is done. without any user consent. Like the Team behind is culturally and socially disconnected from end-users. Are there aliens driving develoment ( martians ? )

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Today I missed the fact that pinned IE links would show a picture on the tile. When that was missing in Edge initially, I was sure they were going to fix is immediately. Months later, still nothing.

Canjok

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
It was so cool that the passwords were shared across devices. I miss comments like: "What? how do you have Internet? You never bought your Laptop with you!" :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss