Wallet 2.0 with NFC Tap to Pay is now rolling out to Windows 10 Mobile Fast Ring (US only)

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Well, I figured out my problem. Apparently I had changed to Release Preview builds on Insider and that killed my wallet app (I don't really remember doing that, maybe that's whole separate problem haha). Switched back to Fast Ring and all is well again.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
PNC Bank is now supported!!

Just on a whim I checked the official Wallet site, and saw PNC Bank listed. Tried to add my card and it worked perfectly. (Previously it failed on the last step after entering the security code from the back of the card.) Haven't tried to use it at a store yet.

US Bank also went from "Coming Soon" to supported.

PNC was the only new bank listed. The rest were banks the app originally launched with.

rangerdogy

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Curious on your PNC --- did you enroll a debit card or a credit card, or both?
Just curious because BECU supports their debit card, but not their credit card.

PNC Bank is now supported!!

Just on a whim I checked the official Wallet site, and saw PNC Bank listed. Tried to add my card and it worked perfectly. (Previously it failed on the last step after entering the security code from the back of the card.) Haven't tried to use it at a store yet.

US Bank also went from "Coming Soon" to supported.

PNC was the only new bank listed. The rest were banks the app originally launched with.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Only debit card. I did try it last night, but the terminal made me put my card in the machine anyway and put my pin in because of the chip. Maybe it was just that store (CVS). I will try others, but if that's how it is, that isn't convenient at all.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Only debit card. I did try it last night, but the terminal made me put my card in the machine anyway and put my pin in because of the chip. Maybe it was just that store (CVS). I will try others, but if that's how it is, that isn't convenient at all.

On Samsung Pay and Android Pay, a card with a chip is presented as not being chipped. This makes so the terminal takes it without the chip. This is not a security issue because the apps have their own security protocols.

Does Microsoft Wallet not do it that way? With all cards either already having chips or moving to chips, it seems to me that this is important.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I have a PNC debit card, and a PNC Businessoptions[SUP]TM[/SUP] Visa card from my employer. Both enrolled successfully today on the first attempt, after previous failures a few weeks ago.

Capital One MasterCard, Discover, AMEX, Regions Visa debit: still all fail.

deuce01

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Is there any indication that this will come to older model Lumias? I have an Icon with running 14393.5 and the latest Wallet app but no credit card option yet.

pteranodon

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
On Samsung Pay and Android Pay, a card with a chip is presented as not being chipped. This makes so the terminal takes it without the chip. This is not a security issue because the apps have their own security protocols.

Does Microsoft Wallet not do it that way? With all cards either already having chips or moving to chips, it seems to me that this is important.
No, Magnetic Secure Transmission technology (MST) is unique to Samsung Pay: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Pay

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
No, Magnetic Secure Transmission technology (MST) is unique to Samsung Pay: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Pay

Thanks, but that is not related to what I was talking about. I am aware of MST and Samsung Pay. My wife has an S6 Edge and uses Samsung Pay all the time. She loves whipping it out at stores that do not have NFC-equipped terminals and watching the expressions generated when she taps her phone to pay!

What I meant was about how the payment apps present the card. If you swipe a card that has a chip, the terminal will reject the swipe (assuming the vendor has the chip reader enabled) because the magnetic swipe includes information identifying the card as having a chip. This results in the terminal requiring use of the chip rather than the swipe.

Samsung Pay, Apple Pay, and Android Pay do not include the chip information, which means that the terminal does not necessarily know that the card has a chip. As a result, it does not require using the chip. The transaction will proceed using NFC or MST. My thought was that Microsoft Wallet might include the information identifying the card as having a chip, resulting in the terminal requiring using the chip.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks pteranodon. I did a quick search on HCE and also found this. Looks like I'm gonna have to change phones if I really want this feature...

NFC Tap to Pay may only come to newer Windows 10 Mobile phones | Windows Central

That is a 2-month-old article. Maybe not everything applies anymore.

It is also possible that Microsoft is looking at the relatively low number of older WPs to begin with, and they are being phased out. It just simply might not be worth it for the small (and shrinking) number of devices affected by this decision. (Hey, where have we heard that before? :straight: )

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
Neither my B of A debit nor my gfs seems to work. Just says verify info. My Chase cards and others added even tho they aren't supported which was cool.

Eddie Mendoza

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
ok i was able to add my new first tech federal credit union card today but it is stuck on "verification required" when i called them they said they dont support microsoft wallet. Even though they are listed as supported - do you guys think I just talked to someone who didnt know? Thanks !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb