Skype UWP preview is really good

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Ugg thank god this was pushed out to insiders. I HATED when they removed Skype + messaging I never had any issues with nor battery drain and was pissed when they removed it and I had to deal with plain jane skype app for mobile

So notifications work fine, I can reply inline like before they separated skype + messaging.

The only lacking thing is seeing the skype messages within the messaging app I think they are going to give us an option to link them again.

The app itself looks good and look similar to most Win 10 apps

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
[FONT=open_sansregular]Any word on Skype adding ability for users to create account via individual mobile number similar to Viber and Whatsapp? I remember hearing that it would eventually happen this way, which would naturally allow Skype to better compete with the likes of Whatsapp and other messaging platforms.[/FONT]

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I was wondering if they are going to bring full integration back to the People app. I did a master reset on the first Redstone preview build that I installed, and while Skype (now Skype preview) contacts are listed in the People app, there is no option to do anything with those contacts like message or call or video call.

I have multiple linked contacts in the People app that contain Outlook, Skype, Viber, Facebook, and Twitter, but the only video call option listed is Viber. From what I can tell on the Redstone builds, the only way to contact someone through Skype is to use the actual Skype app, which just seems silly when third-party apps are successfully integrated into People.

Loc Ngo

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I dont remember the name of the feature but I want Skype to detect which device I am using. It drives me round the bend when my phone constantly rings because of a conversation I am having on my computer. Disable the Internet is not a solution. Because, say with a 100 lines conversation, when I turn the Internet back on, my phone won't stop ringing for one minute while it's syncing the messages. And likewise when I use my phone and not my computer. Beside that, the new Skype is fantastic. Oh, an this is a gimmick but I really want to have the hand drawing feature back. It was so cool.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I dont remember the name of the feature but I want Skype to detect which device I am using. It drives me round the bend when my phone constantly rings because of a conversation I am having on my computer. Disable the Internet is not a solution. Because, say with a 100 lines conversation, when I turn the Internet back on, my phone won't stop ringing for one minute while it's syncing the messages. And likewise when I use my phone and not my computer. Beside that, the new Skype is fantastic. Oh, an this is a gimmick but I really want to have the hand drawing feature back. It was so cool.

They said that the transition from P2P to Cloud would be complete in a few months and all of this shouldn't be a problem anymore.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
[FONT=open_sansregular]Any word on Skype adding ability for users to create account via individual mobile number similar to Viber and Whatsapp? I remember hearing that it would eventually happen this way, which would naturally allow Skype to better compete with the likes of Whatsapp and other messaging platforms.[/FONT]

skype-contacts.jpg

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I was wondering if they are going to bring full integration back to the People app. I did a master reset on the first Redstone preview build that I installed, and while Skype (now Skype preview) contacts are listed in the People app, there is no option to do anything with those contacts like message or call or video call.

I have multiple linked contacts in the People app that contain Outlook, Skype, Viber, Facebook, and Twitter, but the only video call option listed is Viber. From what I can tell on the Redstone builds, the only way to contact someone through Skype is to use the actual Skype app, which just seems silly when third-party apps are successfully integrated into People.

Use feedback app and report such

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site

Looking at your screenshot, I checked the settings in my Skype Preview app. As mentioned in my previous post, I had done a fresh installation of all apps on Windows 10 Mobile without restoring from a backup after installing my first Redstone build on Insider fast ring.

The option to "Sync my Skype contacts with the People app" was turned off, which I guess is the default for Skype on Redstone. As previously described, the Skype contacts showed up in the People app, but no option to call on Skype.

After toggling that option to "On," I checked the People app again. Before, a lone Skype contact would appear in my contacts list with no options to do anything with that contact once opened. After, the Skype contact showed the option to "Send message" using Skype Preview, "Call on an app" using Skype Preview, or "Video call" using Skype Preview.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Looking at your screenshot, I checked the settings in my Skype Preview app. As mentioned in my previous post, I had done a fresh installation of all apps on Windows 10 Mobile without restoring from a backup after installing my first Redstone build on Insider fast ring.

The option to "Sync my Skype contacts with the People app" was turned off, which I guess is the default for Skype on Redstone. As previously described, the Skype contacts showed up in the People app, but no option to call on Skype.

After toggling that option to "On," I checked the People app again. Before, a lone Skype contact would appear in my contacts list with no options to do anything with that contact once opened. After, the Skype contact showed the option to "Send message" using Skype Preview, "Call on an app" using Skype Preview, or "Video call" using Skype Preview.

I sent quoted to screenshot to Dinky89484 , since he wanted to know if Skype can be used like WhatsApp,Viber where you can talk with contacts who have you saved and vice versa in contacts/people (using the Use my Address Book" option. now reading back what you were asking,i mixed up things, but yeah it's available in people app to call using Skype Preview once the option of Sync my Contacts with people app,

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I do find it strange that whether the contacts are Synced with the People app or not, they still show up as a filtering option in the People app. I also think the option to turn off syncing with People from the Skype app itself seems redundant when People has its own filter for showing/hiding contacts from multiple accounts. Why would anyone want to be able to see the Skype contacts in the People app without the option to communicate with those contacts?

I will submit some feedback on this topic.

MatsuDano

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I've been saying it up and down, every way I can for the last couple of weeks: The Skype team needs to start using MDL 2.0 for the design framework. No more bubbles as the message windows. Use the same send arrow as the rest of MS products. Use wireframe icons and color scheme and buttons.

I'm going to do a bit of selfish promotion here and post up my feedback on feedback hub.

feedback-hub:?contextid=274&feedbackid=898b5e0e-ff6c-4448-8fd6-74bc951cacee&form=1&src=2

don't know if the link works exactly, it works from certain apps, but not sure when straight from edge.

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I sent quoted to screenshot to Dinky89484 , since he wanted to know if Skype can be used like WhatsApp,Viber where you can talk with contacts who have you saved and vice versa in contacts/people (using the Use my Address Book" option. now reading back what you were asking,i mixed up things, but yeah it's available in people app to call using Skype Preview once the option of Sync my Contacts with people app,

Thanks for the screen shot. I did click ON for the Sync my Skype contacts with the People app, and sure enough, on my Skype contacts, I had some users added to my contacts based off the phone numbers stored in my People App. My next question is for users who don't have a Skype account, can they then sign up using their cell number? That way, people who download the app and use their phone numbers, it'll automatically add folks on their phone's contacts list and vice versa, similar to how Whatsapp and Viber works?

andyqkw

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Is not working for me, on both Movile and PC.

Am able to receive skype message but unable to send out.

Keeps showing "Connecting..." on the top left hand corner of the screen.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the screen shot. I did click ON for the Sync my Skype contacts with the People app, and sure enough, on my Skype contacts, I had some users added to my contacts based off the phone numbers stored in my People App. My next question is for users who don't have a Skype account, can they then sign up using their cell number? That way, people who download the app and use their phone numbers, it'll automatically add folks on their phone's contacts list and vice versa, similar to how Whatsapp and Viber works?

Yeah they can,so people will have options,if they don't want to give anyone their # and just an alias(Ms account) or use mobile # like whatsapp

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Originally Posted by Alain_A Dont you have some monthly fee in order to use skype messaging/video?

Nope!, where did you hear that from? Lol

Calls from Skype account to Skype account are free. They do offer pay-as-you-go "Skype Credit" or monthly rates for calls from your Skype account to a landline or mobile phone number.

In the USA, it is $6.99 per month for North America calls or $13.99 per month to call worldwide.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb