Cant add google account to build 14393.5 Anniversary

AK H

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
Lumia 950 on build 14393.5 no problems at all with google account in outlook.I could even import vcf contact back up through Gmail.

Originally posted by Ertonimus
I just updated a Lumia 730 to the latest build for my roommate. This is her first windows phone and when I try to add her Gmail account by clicking Google in accounts it brings up a page in Edge saying the browser is not supported. I tried adding it as an imap/pop3 account and google sent her recovery account an email saying it blocked an attempt to sign in from an unsecure device.

Anyone know how to fix this? The phone is useless to her if she can't sync her google account. I hope this doesn't mean google is about to screw over the Anniversary Update...

Ertonimus

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 950 on build 14393.5 no problems at all with google account in outlook.I could even import vcf contact back up through Gmail.

It only occurs when you try to add the account during setup. If you already had your account synced before this issue began you're fine.

Ankush V1

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
I too am having the same problem on my blu win HD lte. Is says my browser is not supported on a fresh install of win 10 mobile .

Masleyko

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site
It only occurs when you try to add the account during setup. If you already had your account synced before this issue began you're fine.

I had it set up before ... after loading settings from backup it immediatelly said google account requieres attention .. 10.0.14393.5 at lumia 640

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I had it set up before ... after loading settings from backup it immediatelly said google account requieres attention .. 10.0.14393.5 at lumia 640

Thanks to Google and his feud against Microsoft (and MS answers greater: new AU got fantastic warnings messages about Chrome draining a lot of battery on notebooks, saying Edge uses 36% less than it :D

Masleyko

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site
guys since it seems to be an issue of outlook using IE to as webview ... what about trying to use older version of Outlook ? or uninstall IE from phone .. or even better .. if there is a way to force outlook to use edge as webview ??

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I just want to add that I'm having the same problem on my 1520. Fortunately, the 1520 isn't my main phone at the moment. I'm going to play with it when I get off work. Hopefully a fix comes soon.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
guys since it seems to be an issue of outlook using IE to as webview ... what about trying to use older version of Outlook ? or uninstall IE from phone .. or even better .. if there is a way to force outlook to use edge as webview ??

None of this is even possible... That said, once AGAIN, IT ISNT A SPECIFIC BUILD OR DEVICE ISSUE. The issue is browser authentication on Googles side. Maybe an issue with Edge, but im betting on the prior. Can we refrain from OS settings as the culprit please. And can this site or even WinBeta/OnMSFT PLEASE for the love of the Great Spaghetti Monster look into this by contacting MS.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Where it says "your browser is not supported" look to the right and click "Sign in".

Never mind failed. My guess is MS did something to Edge in the updates. It was working fine before all the newest updates that came out.

I think Edge was reporting itself as Internet explorer and MS finally changed it to Edge, but websites that don't look for edge in specific will see it as some unsupported browser. At least that is what it seems like since it states that internet explorer is one of the supported ones.

Rui Gomes1

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
I think its a google issue. The .494 builds suffers from the same issue and were working in the previous week.
This issue affects everyone who attemps to login with a Google account in Outlook.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Not all builds are running the same version of Edge, Redstone(.5 and before) VS Pre Redstone(.494 and before). So its likely not Edge, would make more sense if there was a pattern to the failure, but its blanket to all devices and builds.

Where it says "your browser is not supported" look to the right and click "Sign in".

Never mind failed. My guess is MS did something to Edge in the updates. It was working fine before all the newest updates that came out.

I think Edge was reporting itself as Internet explorer and MS finally changed it to Edge, but websites that don't look for edge in specific will see it as some unsupported browser. At least that is what it seems like since it states that internet explorer is one of the supported ones.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Not all builds are running the same version of Edge, Redstone(.5 and before) VS Pre Redstone(.494 and before). So its likely not Edge, would make more sense if there was a pattern to the failure, but its blanket to all devices and builds.

Well a build could have added code that changes the user-agent. It could be added across threshold and redstone. Given that some devices will remain on threshold indefinitely, the change is natural. So if it's happening on all older builds then yes it is likely something Google changed on their end. Maybe they saw it as a security issue. Though honestly, I don't see how. It will still work with imap. You just have to go into google and in the security area create an "app password". So you won't actually be putting your real password into the mail client.

Ertonimus

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
This issue is well known since yesterday.
The radio silence from MS, Google and all MS fan websites is quite disturbing.

I?ve also been surprised at the lack of coverage. Yesterday morning I even sent Engadget a heads up letting them know this squabble between Microsoft and Google might be worth covering but still nothing. I guess this goes to show how few tech writers(windows sites included) use a windows phone as their daily driver these days. I feel like this should be a pretty big deal. #windowsmobilematters

Luiz Jacinto

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
If it wasn?t by the Outlook workaround I would be without any contacts. What?s the point of having a phone without contacts? It?s amazing that this is something that?s been working since 8.1 and all other WP10 builds. I think that doing a hardreset was a bad idea, I hope they get this fixed soon.

Ertonimus

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
The standard user of WM is the "business man" who does not use Google. So maybe is not assumed as a major issue.

I disagree. The only windows phone users I know are normal people that had a chance to play with a windows phone and liked it or techies that liked the OS and imaging software pre Microsoft takeover of Nokia. Microsoft may be trying to position Windows Phone as a phone for business people but I don't think the userbase as a whole is really there. So when something like this happens it should be a big deal to Microsoft. They're losing at least one new convert in my roommate who tried to switch but can't get her google services to sync(the reason I started this thread). And as we all know Microsoft really can't afford to alienate anyone when it comes to Windows Mobile...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion