14901 Preview - Settings Crashes

cadoresg

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Just installed 14901 Preview Build - Setting opens for one second then crashes

Just wondering if others have the same trouble? have rebooted, etc. No change.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
yes seems this problem is wide spread with the settings app. I have tried with upgrade and clean install of 14901 and end up with unusable settings app in both situations.

gbm97

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm not a big fan of 14901 build.
My Asus VivoTab is stuck in tablet mode. The Settings app shuts down upon clicking each command with the exception of Update & Security which opens successfully.
The Recovery option buttons are greyed out with a square box inside of the buttons which only blink when you click on them.
All the left hand tabs in Update & Security such as Activation, Find my Device etc. causes the settings app to crash upon clicking on them.

Seeing that check for updates is functional and the rest of Windows 10 is running absolutely perfect I'll wait for the next preview which may fix it.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Cutting edge, bleeding edge refers to aging tech. But I agree, people that don't read the Insider TAC get zero sympathy. Posting issues here doesn't help improve the platform, it needs to be through MS.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Cutting edge, bleeding edge refers to aging tech. But I agree, people that don't read the Insider TAC get zero sympathy. Posting issues here doesn't help improve the platform, it needs to be through MS.

What he ^^^ (so eloquently) said, second, third & fourth, etc, ...

IF you are not prepared to deal with the issues, you should NOT be on Insider FAST ...
Use your backup to rollback to a stable build (I know, easier said then done)

gbm97

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site

No sympathy needed for me.
I post some troubles I have on occasion.
What do you do here?

Demian Mioc

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
I don't get people commenting so rudely to issues of other posters. If you don't have anything constructive or intelligent to say, go and waste your time elsewhere.
I'm not experiencing Settings app crash, but you can try this: boot your PC in Safe mode and see if it helps, or you could run Windows troubleshooter and try to fix Settings app.
Other than that, I'd try to see error log, that usually helps to find an issue, and fix it effectively. Be sure to give feedback to Microsoft via Feedback hub while trying to repeat the issue.

Hope it helps!

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't get people commenting so rudely to issues of other posters. If you don't have anything constructive or intelligent (installing a preview build on your main device??) to say, go and waste your time elsewhere.
I'm not experiencing Settings app crash, but you can try this: boot your PC in Safe mode and see if it helps, or you could run Windows troubleshooter and try to fix Settings app.
Other than that, I'd try to see error log, that usually helps to find an issue, and fix it effectively. Be sure to give feedback to Microsoft via Feedback hub (most are posting here w/o FEEDBACK) while trying to repeat the issue.

Hope it helps!

Because this release is (at best) an alpha ...
- you should know this may present issues going in
- you should have a good backup to fallback to, in the event of issues
- you (probably) should NOT install it on your main (daily driver) PC / Tablet / Phone

Yet, there are entreaties to '... help, now ...' because (fill in device) is ' ... broken from Insider build & I need it for work / school / etc. ...'

A bit of tough love, but, the original premise stands - RTFM!

robjared05

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Not working for me either. The settings app is experiencing frequent crashes. The problem is the recovery options aren't even working so it's impossible to roll back. In addition, the Windows Central app doesn't open. I have this update on an extra tablet so I can live with it for now.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
to all the idiots here saying you are on alpha software and you should know better or you shouldn't be on the insider program and you get no sympathy here should shut up. The settings bug is actually a pretty big bug and should of never passed microsofts own internal rings to reach the fast ring. That is the point here.

gbm97

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
I don't get people commenting so rudely to issues of other posters. If you don't have anything constructive or intelligent to say, go and waste your time elsewhere.
Other than that, I'd try to see error log, that usually helps to find an issue, and fix it effectively. Be sure to give feedback to Microsoft via Feedback hub while trying to repeat the issue.

Hope it helps!

Thanks but the only way out for me was to reinstall Windows 10 Home with the tool.
When the Settings problem gets addressed I will switch back to becoming an Insider again.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
to all the idiots here saying you are on alpha software and you should know better or you shouldn't be on the insider program and you get no sympathy here should shut up. The settings bug is actually a pretty big bug and should of never passed microsofts own internal rings to reach the fast ring. That is the point here.

Perhaps an understanding of HOW this works:
- a BUILD is released which caused NO problems on MS internal testers (optimally set up) devices. The understanding is - all devices are a product of apps installed, INSTALL methodology of the OS (clean install vs. overlay on top of existing).
---- What chaff is leftover form the previous install(s), that could cause a problem?
---- What other software do you have installed, that could cause a problem?
- the Insiders install this risky OS / Build & provide feedback to MS regarding problems encountered. Problems are expected, as there's no way to determine WHAT or HOW your (or the millions of other) OS is installed.
- Once FEEDBACK is gathered, analyzed & tested >> a new BUILD is provided, remediating issues (hopefully).
- the SETTINGS bug does NOT occur for everyone, there are reports in this thread of users not affected. Indeed, users w problems are MORE likely to post here ...
- personally, the early releases are OFF LIMITS to me ... even though I can restore a backup.
- BEFORE venturing into this, you should have a good backup & know how to use it (it's in the TERMS you agree to)

- as far as idiots, the advice you're receiving is generally good advice ...
I'm not having an issue w this BUILD, because I choose NOT to install it.
The angst does NO good, have YOU provided feedback to MS?

Perhaps some reflection, deep breaths, consider the consequences ...

Last edited:

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I too have the same issue as the OP who was asking advice not asking to be told read the TLC of insider.
please try to be a bit more helpful & stop trolling the threads .
so yes the setting menu crashed and this PC and roll back buttons are missing, i have a bck up to use but it would be easier if there was a quicker solution.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I too have the same issue as the OP who was asking advice not asking to be told read the TLC of insider.
please try to be a bit more helpful & stop trolling the threads .
so yes the setting menu crashed and this PC and roll back buttons are missing, i have a bck up to use but it would be easier if there was a quicker solution.

Easier = Hard Reset using side Key combination, search the forum ... this process may differ by device.

Sorry, got nothing easier.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte