Update to W10M 14393.67 breaks 5GHz Wifi???

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I did. I flipped things like auto-proxy, random h/w addresses, and rebooted a couple of times, while trying to make it work, and debug/watch for changes.
It was insanely frustrating, my 5Ghz was basically useless, and my 2G was hit-miss too, worked sometimes, during this whole process.

All of a sudden it just decided it was okay, and has been working ever since, fairly reliably, on my 5Ghz WiFi, go figure.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I did. I flipped things like auto-proxy, random h/w addresses, and rebooted a couple of times, while trying to make it work, and debug/watch for changes.
It was insanely frustrating, my 5Ghz was basically useless, and my 2G was hit-miss too, worked sometimes, during this whole process.

All of a sudden it just decided it was okay, and has been working ever since, fairly reliably, on my 5Ghz WiFi, go figure.

I bet your router released its DHCP adresses and connected all devices again. My guilty for not sggesting yesterday to reboot router too

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Nope, I rebooted my router, both APs (two different 5GHz networks, tried both, same deal, one unified 2.4), and my switch, all 4 components, and brought everything up, and double-checked local speeds afterwards, both on the router, and on a desktop and another phone (HTC One M8, running Threshold 494), it got about 98/98 before and after the resets.
My desktop, also AU, almost perfect 100/100 symmetrical, either through wired, or wireless, both before and after, same.

Same connection from my 950XL, not so much, I was getting stuff like 0.8/0.2, then maybe 5/1.2, all over the map, but crazy, crazy slow, and tons of latency too, sometimes things would completely time out and disconnect entirely.

I fiddled with my WiFi settings on the 950XL, again and again, and poof, who knows which one tweaked it (I tend to think it was actually disabling and re-enabling the system-wide battery-saver, xx-times, but I'm not sure), and now I have consistent speeds like everything else...

Oh yeah, almost forgot, I reset my 950XL network too, made it acquire random IPs, because someone else mentioned this fixed their speed issue on the AU, but nope, new IPs, back-and-forth, same slowness as above, as I watched it acquire a new IP, on the AP and router (my router is just set up as a wired router, WiFi off, I have to pro-sumer APs that handle all my WiFi).
I ran a small business IT setup for a little over a year, in-between my s/w & h/w dev. days and my tech-PM days, so I know my way around most small-medium size network setups, at least mostly.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
That's good for you. A question: did you got latest 950 firm recently? signed as MICROSOFTDMG or something soundin like that

I picked up the firmware about 3.5 weeks back, the latest DTTW variant for the 950XL Dual-SIM.
That's about the time I started having battery, Bluetooth, and WiFi issues, but also when I went to 14393.0 and then 14393.5, via slow-ring (I had been on RP ring before).
Unfortunately, there's no easy way for me to isolate between the firmware update and the builds updates, since they were so close.

I had another big battery downturn last night though, and today, my phone is almost unusable, again, although WiFi is working still.

NewNews, I sure wish I knew which sequence triggered my WiFi to start working again, but it was definitely abrupt, it went from almost zero-performance to "normal".

newnews

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Reboot your phone, then re-check and connect your wifi connections

Can you try this: Turn on Airplane mode, and then turn on WIFI, check if you can see 5Ghz signals. In the past a few days I have to use airplane mode with Wifi on, this gives me the problem. Now I am on cellular coverage area, I disabled the airplane mode, an I am able to see 5Ghz Wifi; but if I turn on the airplane mode, I can only see 2.4GHz.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea