Cumulative Update: build 14393.103 Discussion (Redstone 1; Inactive)

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
New build just started downloading on my 950XL and redstone-hacked 1020, release preview.

- Windows 10 Technical Preview for phones (10.0.14393.103)

Windows 10 build 14393.103 is live for Release Preview on Mobile and PC (Changelog) | Windows Central

Issues? Bugs? Solutions? For all things 10.0.14393.103, discuss it all here.

note.png
Tip: Check out this thread before posting
Windows Insider Testing and You [Recommended Guidelines]

Is your device behaving oddly, is something just not right? This is the place for discussion of software and hardware issues!

tip.png
Here is some useful information you may find yourself in need of.
Some issues with responsiveness and app delays can be resolved by either restarting your phone or performing a Soft Reset.

If things get a bit more serious, you may opt to perform a hard reset or software reset.

Lastly, if things really get serious, you may need the Windows Device Recovery Tool to recover your phone back to working order - head over to the Microsoft FAQ Page for more information.

Make sure you check the official Windows 10 Mobile Support Page as well for some of the most common tips and trouble shooting guides.

info.png
Restarting your phone involves turning it off and then turning it on again. Turn off your phone by pressing the power button until you are prompted to "Slide down to power off". Turn your phone on again by pressing the power button until it vibrates.

A soft reset is similar to pressing the reset button in PCs and has the same effect as pulling out the battery of your phone and then putting it back in. For phones with non-removable batteries, press the volume down and power button together until your phone restarts. Be aware that when using Windows 10, the voume down and power button combination will also launch Windows Feedback. Just continue to hold down the buttons for a full 10 seconds in order to trigger the soft reset. For phones with removable batteries, you can either opt for the button combination or remove the battery and then return it.

A hard reset or a software reset will reformat your phone by removing all the user information leaving only the bare OS and firmware currently installed in your phone. It does erase data so you should always keep a good backup of your phone just in case you have to resort to this option.

The software reset can be done by going to your phone Settings > System > About > tap on "Reset your phone." You will be prompted once before doing this just to be sure. Be sure, also, to have everything backed up since there would be no way to recover all of your files.

The hard reset accomplishes the same thing as the software reset, but can be accomplished when the phone is non-responsive and you are unable to enter into settings. To perform the Hard Reset, "Power off the phone > hold Volume Down > press Power > keep holding Volume Down until you see the exclamation (!) screen, then immediately release the Volume Down. Now tap Volume Up / Volume Down / Power / Volume Down. You should see the spinning gears and your phone will reflash the last OS version held in recovery.

The Windows device Recovery Tool is the final option, for example for "bricked" phones that would no longer turn on, be charged, etc. This can be used to either roll back to a previous OS version or force an update to a more current OS version

Remember, when reporting bugs be descriptive! The more information you give, the better the chance someone will be able to help you.

What OS version? Any special conditions that should be noted? What were you doing? What is the result? Any error codes or messages given? What have you tried for solutions? What variant of the phone are you using? Single SIM or Dual SIM?

Please describe as much as possible about the bug so others may try and replicate the bug and don't make suggestions for solutions that you have already tried which have failed.

info.png
When reporting bugs/issues, please also use the Windows Feedback app to report issues directly to Microsoft. Microsoft don't actively read forums looking for people reporting issues when they have a data collection system built right into the operating system. They use WF to analyse numbers and prioritise fixes (issues with more reports, get sorted quicker).

"You can use the Windows Feedback app to tell us which features you love about your Lumia with Windows 10, or when something could be better.
1.To launch the app, swipe over to the App list, and then select Windows Feedback.
2.See if someone else has given similar feedback by entering the topic, such as Microsoft OneDrive.
3.If you find similar feedback, tap the Upvote or tap on the feedback to open it, write the problem details to Add details-field and tap Send.
4.To narrow your search to a specific topic, you can filter the results by picking the category that matches your feedback the closest. For example, for feedback about the Microsoft OneDrive, select Apps and Games > OneDrive.
5.If you don?t find any similar feedback, tap + to add new feedback. Select the correct category and subcategory from the dropdown-list.
6.Enter your feedback (the more details the better!), add a screenshot if you can, and tap Send.
7.Your feedback will automatically upload when you are charging your phone and connected to Wi-Fi, but you can also upload the feedback manually by tapping ? > Upload feedback data."

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: Cumulative Update: build 14393.103 Discussion (Redstone 1; Release Ring)

The download seemed quick, 2-3 minutes maybe? Nice. Got stuck on 94% for a minute for some reason.

I'm sure install will take forever though, always does. I'll try to take note of how long it actually takes this time.

On a Lumia 950XL DS (7GB free) with 64GB SD card (10GB free):

3:05 pm - "Preparing to install"
3:10 pm - still at 16%, phone hot, then suddenly to 26% in one minute..
3:15 pm - progress goes from 30% to 70% in less than a minute ?!
3:18 pm - ready for restart, 13 minutes total 'preparing' alone.

3:20 pm - the giant, badly animated, non-interlocking, ugly cogs appear
3:25 pm - cogs still 'spinning', at about 30% progress
3:29 pm - progress at about 50%
3:36 pm - cogs done? Phone reboots

3:37 pm - "We're getting there" appears at 25% progress
3:38 pm - "Migrating your data" (from where? to where? why?)
3:42 pm - You know, you say it will be worth the wait, but will it?
3:43 pm - step 3 of 7, still Migrating
3:44 pm - BOOM done, steps 4-7 took about zero time

Basically 40 minutes to install a patch. Am I one of the lucky ones, or is this typical?

Given how often we update these phones, can they really not spare a minute making the update animation a little less clunky?

As an aside, when done you get a toast "Updates were installed, tap here to learn more". Tapping it gets you to "Phone update" in settings, where you learn exactly nothing more. At least show us the version number of the most recent update, and a change log would be nice.

Last edited:

js14873

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site

MS is bad at progress bars.

AMEN! Even the Edge progress bar for page loading is bad. It will go from 0 to 90% and then hang on a phone that doesn't even have a network connection.

/sidebar

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

AMEN! Even the Edge progress bar for page loading is bad. It will go from 0 to 90% and then hang on a phone that doesn't even have a network connection.

/sidebar
Funny, I just deleted that statement because I thought 'too negative!' :) Even in the store though, the progress bar will say 0.1 MB of 0.7 MB, and then the 0.7 MB will start increasing. Talk about moving the goal post.. Such an embarrassing bug, and it's been there forever. Anyway, back on topic.. :smile:

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site

voice dictation and speaking to Cortana seem to be broken on this update always get a try again or cant hear anything message. anyone else getting this?

Sent from mTalk

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

Given how often we update these phones, can they really not spare a minute making the update animation a little less clunky?

As an aside, when done you get a toast "Updates were installed, tap here to learn more". Tapping it gets you to "Phone update" in settings, where you learn exactly nothing more. At least show us the version number of the most recent update, and a change log would be nice.

While I am totally with you on this - it seems bloody obvious...but I don't think we should be holding our breath here. If MS had thought about it along the lines that you/ we are, they would be a very different company today in the mobile world.

But otherwise a smooth update and yes, in about 40-50 mins on a 950XL. Impact on battery yet to be assessed and it seems to me to be at least as smooth as .83.

Cheers!

Bharatbhooshan Bhat

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site

I'm getting error code 0x80310000 when I'm trying to download the build 10.0.14393.103, i did soft rest also and tried but still not able to install the build. Please help

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

voice dictation and speaking to Cortana seem to be broken on this update always get a try again or cant hear anything message. anyone else getting this?

On my Lumia 1520 with 14393.103 >> Cortana works FINE, just tested it. Possibly a temporary issue ... She listened, then told me a joke

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Shutting down the phone seems to take forever these days. Close to a full minute, with the screen showing 'Goodbye'. Also, I also no longer see 'Don't forget, appointment x at y pm', which I really liked.

Edit: second time around, the 'don't forget message' did appear for a few seconds before the 'goodbye screen'. This time the 'Goodbye phase took 20 seconds, not too bad.

Last edited:

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site

M$ will say they removed it cos no demand, just like FM radio 📻😁

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

M$ will say they removed it cos no demand, just like FM radio 
My mistake, I probably missed it. It just shows a few second before 'Goodbye'. So far no real problems with this build. Nice!

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

Bluetooth in my car seems to be broken with this update. Tried soft reset and repairing, playing audio from multiple apps and still no luck. Still works with my bluetooth headphones, so must just be an issue with the car connection.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site

On my Lumia 1520 with 14393.103 >> Cortana works FINE, just tested it. Possibly a temporary issue ... She listened, then told me a joke
I ended up doing a hard reset and that fixed it for me its back working fine again now

Sent from mTalk

Kerry2112

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site

Biggest change for me with this build? Cortana is super fast to respond initially to "Hey Cortana", to interpret what I say, and to respond to it. This is the FIRST build for me that Cortana is really fast and smooth. Before, there was always a big delay while Cortana parsed what I said and she would often fail to respond the first time.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

Biggest change for me with this build? Cortana is super fast to respond initially to "Hey Cortana", to interpret what I say, and to respond to it. This is the FIRST build for me that Cortana is really fast and smooth. Before, there was always a big delay while Cortana parsed what I said and she would often fail to respond the first time.

Dinner for two tonight ;)

PPCFreak

May 16, 2013
Visit site

with this build, Hey Cortana now works. First time in about 6 builds that Hey Cortana works.
had to retrain but that was okay.
Bluetooth going to my Sync3 in Ford Edge 2016 seems to be better and more consistent as well.

Lumia Icon (aka 929)

SamPavlov

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Bluetooth in my car seems to be broken with this update. Tried soft reset and repairing, playing audio from multiple apps and still no luck. Still works with my bluetooth headphones, so must just be an issue with the car connection.

It is issue with Cortana in anniversary update, open Cortana settings choose read messages and change from Bluetooth to OFF

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Wonder when we will be able to charge our phones while they are off. sigh.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte