Ignoring active hours.

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 930 updated itself today around 11am instead of during the night like it is set to.

A bit annoying as I was on the metro at the time with my ticket inaccessible in my phone. The fine would have been around $120. Lucky this time but I get checked two or three times each week at least.

Is this normal for release preview, for Windows Phone 10 in general or is it just my phone?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
My Lumia 930 updated itself today around 11am instead of during the night like it is set to.

A bit annoying as I was on the metro at the time with my ticket inaccessible in my phone. The fine would have been around $120. Lucky this time but I get checked two or three times each week at least.

Is this normal for release preview, for Windows Phone 10 in general or is it just my phone?

I don't think that would be normal, is your time set okay? Maybe showing pm instead of am?

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It's set correctly to between 2am and 5am. And only on WiFi. So even if this had been set wrong it still shouldn't update at around 11am on a cellular network. It's a bit of mystery to me if it isn't a known bug.

Will have to opt out of insider updates if it's likely to happen often. I miss manual updates.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Settings > Update and Security > Phone Update > Change active hours > you can set 18 hours worth of active time and automatic restarts will not occur during those hours. But you know this. It's in the OP. (Just filling in for other readers researching this issue).

My feeling is that a restart won't be delayed more than 24 hours. I have no idea how long your restart was pending... This is just an instinct, I don't have a link or any documentation

If you know there is a restart needed you can schedule that more specifically with Settings > Update and Security > Phone Update > Restart options > and that does have a toggle for on/off and a dropdown for times and days of the week. But you have to know the restart is waiting and the menu options are not accessible unless a restart is waiting.

Seems like it takes some active management that most users won't engage in. Might be a bug if a restart occurs during active hours and may be worthy of feedback/upvote.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's set correctly to between 2am and 5am. And only on WiFi. So even if this had been set wrong it still shouldn't update at around 11am on a cellular network. It's a bit of mystery to me if it isn't a known bug.

Will have to opt out of insider updates if it's likely to happen often. I miss manual updates.

The download was probably done and waiting. Likely the DL happened on WiFi. It's the restart that glitched, IMHO.

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Ahem, people this is somewhat embarrassing: It is my fault! I have managed to misread what it says in the control panel.

I must have thought the active hours where hours active for the update to happen. I read it several times but somehow my brain didn't want to process what's actually written there clearly.

Sorry and thank you! 😕

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Ahem, people this is somewhat embarrassing: It is my fault! I have managed to misread what it says in the control panel.

I must have thought the active hours where hours active for the update to happen. I read it several times but somehow my brain didn't want to process what's actually written there clearly.

Sorry and thank you! ��

well, at least we had our heads being scratched for a while and now a good chuckle as well as a learning point :smile:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb