Windows 10 Mobile build 14915 Discussion (Redstone 2; Inactive)

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 Mobile build 14915 Discussion (Redstone 2; Fast Ring)

Trying to update my Lumia 650 to the 10.0.14915.1000 build. It downloads fine and preparing to installs fin, the need to restart and then the working wheels appear for a few minutes and then it restarts. After that phone says, can't install updates...

Any suggestions?

Try removin SD if any, and don't forget letting phone plugged to charger (very important)

Last edited:

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site

Trying to update my Lumia 650 to the 10.0.14915.1000 build. It downloads fine and preparing to installs fin, the need to restart and then the working wheels appear for a few minutes and then it restarts. After that phone says, can't install updates...

Any suggestions?

Don't eat yellow snow...

Seriously though, try without an SD card installed, might help.

Cree Ray

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

Thank you Microsoft! You have managed to f**k up my phone!

I did hard reset couple of weeks ago and restored settings, Everything was working fine. I have Lumia 930....

Now today I installed the new build: 10.0.14915.1000. And Now for the fist time ever! The phone is stuck somehow! I mean the phone gets super hot! It won't charge properly (well the charger can barely keep it alive and give a little juice). I have done soft reset (power + volume down) multiple times no help. Something is always stuck right from the start and it eats all the processing power and battery... I can't even turn the damn thing off! It just stays on goodbye forever! All i can do is do another soft reset and it starts to get hot again!

Now I need to try to get it charged enough so i can do hard reset... maybe that will help, maybe not... I think I need to use the "windows device recovery tool" for this.

Unbelievable! I have been on insider fast ring from the start of Windows 10 Mobile, and even before! And there has never ever been anything like this.

This makes me so angry I start to seriously think of switching to Android (even though I hate Android in general)

Did you hard reset on 14915 ?

And it really doesn't make sense to blame MS when you are on insider fast ring. You should know that this is not "production" code, so all bets are off. If you cannot handle this, suggest you go back to production build or "release preview".

Personally, my 830 is on this build and it's a daily driver. There are couple of issues but its part of the deal being in "fast" ring. Get over it.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

I would suggest a HR. I've flashed a 640 and 640xl and the battery use is as usual, and the heat, well there isn't any.

Cree Ray

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

Hey Cortana working now, finally !!!
The Cortana Reminder cannot be click to open up as it will crash, but rather you have to "tell" Cortana to set the Reminder and it will work.
Calendar and Weather tile still intermittent lost it live tile info (already broken since few update previously)
Average battery drain ~3% per hour with all data/wifi on.
Notification alert still delay as when screen on only all the mails notification flooding in.
Mails/Whatsapp live tile as well notification sync lagging although the items been open/view.
The audio speaker breaking sound (over amplify) will happen intermittently.
Groove sometimes failed to play on audio shortcut that pin in start page.
WiFi sometimes will failed to re-connect to known/saved WiFi AP.

All from my Lumia 1520

WiFi sometimes will failed to re-connect to known/saved WiFi AP. - I have this issues on my 830 and checked with the Insiders team over on twitter and they told me to change over to Google DNS in my router. They said they are looking at it, but this solution works for reasons I still don't understand ! and me not a n00b.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

Did you hard reset on 14915 ?

And it really doesn't make sense to blame MS when you are on insider fast ring. You should know that this is not "production" code, so all bets are off. If you cannot handle this, suggest you go back to production build or "release preview".

Personally, my 830 is on this build and it's a daily driver. There are couple of issues but its part of the deal being in "fast" ring. Get over it.

Dealt with a couple of pages ago, and an apology for the post

Cree Ray

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

Anyone else having screen issues with this build? I've lost brightness control and the screen goes dark and sometimes black. Reboot is the only fix I've found. 950 XL DS US.

I have random black screens...can't yet nail it down to anything specific. I am just hoping it is because of the builds and not my display on the way out. Crossed fingers.

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site

To anyone experiencing the battery drain or other problems such as lag and whatnot EVEN AFTER HARD RESET, then you should definitely try resetting your phone via Windows Device Recovery Tool (WDRT).

I just received my Lumia 950 DS Unlocked from Window's Central giveaway, and the phone DID NOT live up to my expectations after reading all the reviews here on this forum. Battery drain, poor image quality, slow Iris Scan, etc. I performed hard reset, updated to Insider Builds, limit background apps, un/reinstall apps, everything! The battery drain was especially problematic. One full charge lasted merely 9 hours (with 1 hour of actual use. The rest left on idle) for me (although I am impressed by the fast charging).

So after performing a clean hard reset (means no restoring from back up) twice, I gave up this method and googled (sorry Bing :( ) for a fix. Someone said that WDRT fixed the problem for them, so I tried. Guess what? 10 hours onwards, with an hour of heavy use (Facebook, Messenger, Whatsapp call for additional 20 mins), and my battery is only at 88% from 95%. Performance has also improved (Iris Scan faster than before), and the image? Just like the sample you see on any Lumia 950 review sites: PHENOMENAL.

So I'm guessing that, maybe hard resetting isn't enough. WDRT seems to download and install the PROPER software/hardware config for your phone, and maybe that whatever software that came with your phone initially might have some corrupted code or whatnot. This is just my 2 cents tho, but definitely give WDRT a try if you really want to save your phone.

P/S: The reset process will revert your phone to TH builds, not the AU builds. Also, this procedure is fairly quick (resetting took 15 minutes or so), but what made it longer is downloading the software package, which is dependent on your WiFi speed.

Hope this helps

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

To anyone experiencing the battery drain or other problems such as lag and whatnot EVEN AFTER HARD RESET, then you should definitely try resetting your phone via Windows Device Recovery Tool (WDRT).

Good advice and this will deliver Firmware. :cool:

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site

Didn't same result, really annoying that i can't update it.

Have you tried a hard reset without the SD card in there? If you have, then the only option is to use WDRT to restore it to the latest supported image for your model... I guess.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

Have you tried a hard reset without the SD card in there? If you have, then the only option is to use WDRT to restore it to the latest supported image for your model... I guess.

WDRT will bring back threshold to 650, but I don't know which version. Hovever surely not last ISO AU (it could be a nice surprise!)

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site

Next problem with this latest build, quiet hours didn't turn on last night, had to activate it manually, however it turned off as normal at the correct time this morning. Overall, not a great build, for me at least - L950

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

Been running this for a couple of days with very few issues. I've not seen the screen brightness issue, my quiet hours work and battery is great on my 950xl. Been working a 640 and 640xl on the road over the weekend and both have been very reliable with no crashes or errant behaviour. Bit of a risk using them for work on the road, but didn't cause an issue. Drivers received jobs etc..

I've found it very stable. The one thing that freaks me out? I have to double take when the glance goes green at night! Very strange. On the glance screen issues some have reported, mine shuts off after 15 mins and doesn't stay on like some have reported. I can wave my hand over the phone and it wakes again. Cortana is still an issue though. Still hates tracking flights / parcels and defaults to Bing all the time. Notifications are slow. I learnt on Friday that my football team had drawn. THE PREVIOUS SATURDAY!! When can we go back to the beta Cortana? That one worked flawlessly when tracking flights. Even the old Google Now cards were more reliable.

Any ways, so far, so good

Dinu Noroc

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site

Posting here since I am now updated to 915.

Ever since Redstone to my keyboard is stuck on small size no matter what setting I put it on and how many times I do a soft reset

Very annoying especially in landscape mode where it only appears on the right side of the screen

I have tried removing the US English keyboard and replacing it with other languages and then restoring and the still nothing works

Any suggestions wonder why I am the only one who has this problem

Have you tryed to tap and hold the space bar and after that to move the keyboard around?

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

Marko,

Sorry about your troubles.

The phone usually runs hot during an update, this is pretty normal. And, it does take a while (in most cases) to settle, and cool back down - and, can very easily, take a day, or two, to act like something.

I don't pretend to know about your 930 issues; but, you could have interfered with the update, and settle, process - this go round - and may need to take a more aggressive action to fix the issue...but, with these fast rings; it is usually a day or two, before a verdict is clear. I believe I would give the phone a day, or so, to try and correct its self before doing anything more aggressive.

I am not being patronizing, I just been in your boat.

Good luck!

Yes, settling-in does consume more than normal battery for the first few days or first day, but I have never seen it so bad that the phone discharges faster than the charger can charge it.

jssmarathon

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

Posting here since I am now updated to 915.

Ever since Redstone to my keyboard is stuck on small size no matter what setting I put it on and how many times I do a soft reset

Very annoying especially in landscape mode where it only appears on the right side of the screen

I have tried removing the US English keyboard and replacing it with other languages and then restoring and the still nothing works

Any suggestions wonder why I am the only one who has this problem

Have you tryed to tap and hold the space bar and after that to move the keyboard around?

Hold down &123 until options appear.

One option is right hand or left hand or full size keyboard

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo