Windows 10 Mobile build 14936 Discussion (Redstone 2; Fast Ring)

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, since this is the fast ring, these builds are not tested internally as much, to identify all issues. I am sure there are many issues we, as insiders see before anyone else.

Also, unlike us, I am pretty sure MS employees working on Windows 10 don't use windows mobiles as their daily drivers and it isn't possible to find as many bugs in a test environment, as is possible with real life testing.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I'm not criticizing MS, just pointing out that whenever they issue a new release, they don't list all the known bugs, just a very short list of "known issues".

I've had to revert back to the AU because of bugs that occurred on an almost daily basis, to do with the taking/sharing of photos. This persisted across RS2 builds, and the issue does not seemed to have been acknowledged so I have no reason to suspect it's been fixed in the latest build either. I am willing to jump back in to the fast-ring builds at some point, other bugs likely wouldn't bother me so much, but I take and share photos every day at work and when this fails (which it has done in several different ways recently), it causes me a real problem, I don't have time to keep rebooting the phone to clear the problem every time.

So, to end my post, I am sorry you feel I'm criticizing MS, but I do feel the truth is being stretched a little when they list only one known issue. Not that the AU doesn't have issues too though, I've experienced a couple there too in the last few days, but this was nothing to do with the above, though there is still an issue present with sharing photos via Outlook, but not a show stopping one.

Hey Speccy, for what its worth, I just took a picture for my 950XL, and sent it from the camera's picture viewer via; one Outlook account, to another, without issue. Also, I empathize with you, it is very frustrating when you go to use something that is vital to the task at hand, and it does perform as it should - even if a fail is a possibility (with fast ring); still makes your job harder.

Yoav Nir

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
My Lumia 950XL has lost the hotspot functionality since 14926.

In 14926 it would turn on, but no other device could discover the network. If I turned it off it would not turn on again until reboot.

Now in 14936 I can't turn it on even once. It just turns back off.

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

In 14926 it would turn on, but no other device could discover the network. If I turned it off it would not turn on again until reboot.

No issues here switched off multiple times and on again ...

0890bdeb3746071bdfebf8ca16b3e42a.png

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Yeah they're probable using their iphones as a DD, and testing how windows works on them.

Dona uses a 950XL as daily driver, team developers must use multiple lan row desktops emulators for testing on multiple configs in little time, then every build is tested by team leaders on reals device (the "Internal ring").
They develop many variants of each update

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Hey Speccy, for what its worth, I just took a picture for my 950XL, and sent it from the camera's picture viewer via; one Outlook account, to another, without issue. Also, I empathize with you, it is very frustrating when you go to use something that is vital to the task at hand, and it does perform as it should - even if a fail is a possibility (with fast ring); still makes your job harder.

This is the issue, it would work fine some of the time, then for no apparent reason, it would not work the next time I tried to do the exact same thing. Sometimes, I'd tap the photo I wanted to share, it would bring up the recent apps that I'd used for this task i.e. Outlook and WhatsApp, but tapping either of them did absolutely nothing at all. Other times I'd take a picture, then tap it to view/share it, and it would say something has gone wrong, or other times it would say it wasn't ready and to try again later, but no matter how long you left it, minutes or hours, it would never be ready. The only way to clear this was to reboot the handset. Another issue that cropped up while trying to complete the same task, is Outlook just randomly crashing and dumping me back to Start Screen. Sometime this would happen 3-4 times before I could successfully send the email. I wouldn't expect anyone to actually do this, but if you take a few photos, and then open the photos app, and share three photos via Outlook a few times per day, I would expect problems to pop up every now and then. It's totally unpredictable too, it can be fine, then 10 minutes later, not fine. This the main reason I had to go back to the AU as I rely on this many time throughout the day at work.

The "Anniversary Update" is still buggy as well, in that if I try to INSERT pictures into an email, the INSERT option has the PICTURES option greyed out 90% of the time, so I can only attach them as a file, which has it's own issues as the photo gets attached as is, meaning it's a massive file. The RS2 builds automatically resized the images to make them very much smaller (when it didn't crash that is).

When there are some nice new desirable features in the RS2 builds, I'll likely jump back in and hope for the best with the photo/outlook issues.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
When there are some nice new desirable features in the RS2 builds, I'll likely jump back in and hope for the best with the photo/outlook issues.

I feel your frustration, I am sure you have noted it on the Feedback Hub, so I hope your issue is addressed soon, and let it be known if/when they do:)

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I feel your frustration, I am sure you have noted it on the Feedback Hub, so I hope your issue is addressed soon, and let it be known if/when they do:)

I have left feedback :) Looking forward to seeing some new RS2 features, then I may be tempted to jump back in. I decided against getting an Android phone, the camera is important to me, and the only handset that suited my needs was the Galaxy S6, or so I thought, until I read how bad the battery life is. I'll be sticking with my L950 with drastically less apps, but with a battery that's still 65% since being unplugged at 7am (it's now 6.20pm). Not much good having more apps if the battery won't even get me through the working day, let alone the evening.

omagic82

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
To start with, since this build I am no longer receiving SMS notifications from the messaging app. The texts come into the app without notifications on my device.

BryceMD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

For what it's worth mine turns off immediately after turning it on only if WiFi is off.

If I turn WiFi on and then enable hotspot, works fine.

BobiBolivia

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Reporting for L930:

system is very responsive, there is a delay when switching on display, and clock/date shows sometimes with noticeable delay, but as for movements within system/closing apps/etc., that's now super smooth (I dare to say, almost on par with WP 8.1)

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if it's the Facebook App or if it's with the Fast Ring RS2 builds on my 950XL but not every contact of mine syncs with Facebook. Some do, some don't, and it's quite annoying.

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Dinky,

I have been having that problem for months!! Definitely an app issue.

I tried all sorts of things...like delete the app then reinstall. I tried deleting the app and then waiting for the next build to be pushed out, downloaded the new build, then reinstalled the FB app. I tried simultaneously having both the FB and FB Beta app on my phone to see if the Beta app would catch the contacts I couldn't sync...nothing worked!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb