Windows 10 Preview build 14936 Discussion (Redstone 2; Fast Ring)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Windows 10 build 14936 for PC and mobile rolling out for fast ring Insiders | Windows Central

What's new for PC

• New Extensions in Microsoft Edge: We're working with partners on adding new extensions and want our Insiders to try them out first! We have another new release which we need your help testing and giving feedback on before we publish to the general public: Turn Off the Lights is a lightweight and useful add-in designed for a more comfortable video experience. We also need some more help testing our other preview extensions: Tampermonkey is a popular userscript manager that lets users customize the content of pages across the web. Microsoft Personal Shopping Assistant is your smart shopping cart across the web, which collects your browsed products and lets you get price alerts for saved products and compare products between sellers. You can install this at the links above and try them out on any Anniversary Update build – send feedback to the Feedback Hub or @MSEdgeDev on Twitter.
  • Authentication changes affecting connectivity to NAS devices and home file servers: After updating to the latest Insider Preview builds, you may have noticed that shared devices on your home network have disappeared from your home network folder. You may have also noticed your mapped network drives are not available. If you change your network to "private" or "enterprise", it should start working again. For more information on this behavior change, see this Microsoft Security Bulletin.
  • Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Updates: WSL will install Ubuntu version 16.04 (Xenial) instead of Ubuntu 14.04 (Trusty) in an upcoming release. This change will apply to Insiders installing new instances (lxrun.exe /install or first run of bash.exe). Existing instances with Trusty will not be upgraded automatically. Users can upgrade their Trusty image to Xenial using the do-release-upgrade command. Full WSL release notes can be found here.
What's fixed for PC

• We fixed the issue causing Narrator to continually speak the progress of a song e.g. update with the current time of the progress bar every second if you navigate to the progress bar while a song is playing in Groove Music.
  • We fixed the issue where using the tab key to navigate the Settings app wouldn't work.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in Explorer.exe frequently crashing for some Insiders, particularly for those with multiple network switches.
What's broken on PC

• Optional components may not work after upgrading to this build. To get it working again, go to "Turn Windows features on or off", scroll down and check the right optional component and click ok. After a reboot, the optional component will be enabled again.
  • Tencent apps and games will cause your PC to bugcheck (bluescreen).
  • Running sfc /scannow in an elevated command prompt will fail at 20% with the error "could not perform the requested operation."
This build and version is the latest Redstone 2 build in testing for Desktop Insiders on the Fast Ring.

Issues? Bugs? Solutions? For all things Windows 10 build 14936, discuss it here.

[TIP]Basic tip

If you're having any issues with your device, try a reset.

Settings > Update & security > Recovery > Reset this PC > This provides you with two options: 1. keep my files and 2. remove everything[/TIP]

[TIP]Keep my files

Does just as its name describes. If you choose the setting you can reinstall Windows 10 without having to back up any of the pictures, videos, music and documents that you have stored on it. You absolutely should back up these things just in case, but you shouldn’t need to use that back up. Keep My Files requires a certain amount of free space on your device. As such, it may be unavailable to you if your device is stuffed with a lot of files. If you get an error message asking for more storage when you choose this option you’ll need to back up your files and choose the remove everything option. You could also delete any files that you aren’t using on your device and try the option again. This option will take longer than the other options.[/TIP]

[TIP]Remove Everything

Deletes every file, every setting from your device and gives you a blank copy of Windows 10 to work with. You’ll need to add any files you have backed up to your device again [/TIP]

Loc Ngo

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Just updated and so far it has been great for me. Battery seems a tad better and everything feels smooth and zippy. I really don't have any complaint (yet).

Richard Durishin

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Have tried to install it twice on my 950. Both times, the phone has frozen at the Windows Icon during start-up and required use of the Recovery tool.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the AT&T firmware update that came between the latest Fast Ring builds...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb