Edge mobile pages reloading constantly.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
At first I thought this was just an insider preview issue, but I'm not so sure anymore. And it's driving me nuts because I can't seem to find anything on the internet about this happening to anyone else.

Edge mobile, regardless of what I have tried, from cache clears to hard resets, reloads all but the most simplistic webpages constantly, until it inevitably gives me the "page is having a problem loading" message. What is confusing is the page actually appears to load all its content just fine. It just freaks out after 3-10 seconds and reloads again. Reader mode seems to just hang on pages that do this.

I *think* it has something to do with ads doing something that edge doesn't like. Problem is, nearly every page has ads, and I can't exactly do the hostfile thing on a mobile device. (Can I?) I haven't run into any similar issues on any other apps. Also, older complaints usually involve flash player, but there is no flash player setting on the mobile version. I'm turning off flash player on the desktop version to see what happens, as I know edge will sync its settings.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
At first I thought this was just an insider preview issue, but I'm not so sure anymore. And it's driving me nuts because I can't seem to find anything on the internet about this happening to anyone else.

Edge mobile, regardless of what I have tried, from cache clears to hard resets, reloads all but the most simplistic webpages constantly, until it inevitably gives me the "page is having a problem loading" message. What is confusing is the page actually appears to load all its content just fine. It just freaks out after 3-10 seconds and reloads again. Reader mode seems to just hang on pages that do this.

I *think* it has something to do with ads doing something that edge doesn't like. Problem is, nearly every page has ads, and I can't exactly do the hostfile thing on a mobile device. (Can I?) I haven't run into any similar issues on any other apps. Also, older complaints usually involve flash player, but there is no flash player setting on the mobile version. I'm turning off flash player on the desktop version to see what happens, as I know edge will sync its settings.

it claims to sync things* but I've never seen it sync anything beyond importing IE favorites, you can block ads using a filtered dns, at least on wifi

what build are you currently running?

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Build is 15063. But it has been happening in varying degrees, better or worse, since my last phone, which was over a year ago.

Problem is, even though I've hard reset without restoring the backup, the issue keeps coming back, and it's getting worse. It's gotten to the point that I don't have more than 15 seconds to read a webpage anymore. Reading mode doesn't pick up the text of the page unless it is fully loaded, thereby making it useless as a workaround. I really don't want to have to make a new Microsoft account over this.

The only real correlation I have is that it tends to be much worse when there are video ads, and these are popping up more and more on previously plain-text websites that I could depend on being stable. I cannot seem to find a way to stop the video ads on the mobile device. (I'm pretty sure I can't change the DNS on cellular for example. I won't always be around wifi. An ad-free VPN might make more sense here.)

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
This is happening for many people. The Feedback app is chock full of submissions about this very issue.

It seems to have gotten a little better in the recent releases, but it still happens. Very frustrating!

mikosoft

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
These reloads should be caused by stray Javascript ads. It happens on a lot of websites. Seems like it's a feature of Edge coping with some sort of funny script behavior. Unfortunately the exact nature of this is not clear to me and it's infuriating when trying to read long articles.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
My issue is various webpages (from links) not loading at all on mobile. I hit refresh, close Edge and hit the link again, no loading. I'm guess its caused by the same issue as the reloads you are experiencing. Its just on my phone I don't get that far.

Sent from mTalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12