Windows 10 Mobile build 15228 Discussion (Fast Ring)

Ektalog

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I believe the notes are referring to the preinstalled / inbox Photos app that comes with W10M.

I only use the default Photos and camera apps on my 950 and haven't encountered an issue with either on this build.

Sent from mTalk

Hey Paul, thanks for the input. I finally turned on the brain cell :smile:. Darn, it was sitting right in front of me, just one minor down-swipe on the home screen!

Yes, the default camera apps are fine; they don't seem to be acting any different than before. I am conducting further testing on all the installed camera apps. So far, using 1Shot will always lead to a green screen sooner or later. However, it seems that the "later" is being push further back after each session. Camera 1020 is getting more stable also, it seems.

Ektalog

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
@13paul13, very well put... and, the pleasure was all mine:)

Cheers!

Well there guys, the value of discussion (and constructive argument) gets demonstrated once again.

Long ago, that freaky half-screen began as an annoying curiosity for which I failed to see any use. I did believe that there had to be a good purpose for it to be there...perhaps a solution for a problem I did not yet have.

So, with many other things to do, I left this riddle for "one of these days". And so, you guys saved me the trouble. Thanks!

BTW, I'll make use of it every now and then. On half-screens where the bottom is missing, shortly after reaching the end my L1020 will switch to full screen leaving the bottom fully reachable by the thumb. So, here it works well enough even if it may be work-in-progress.

anon(9603734)

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
A few minutes ago I took my phone off charge thinking it should be 100% by now; it was showing as being 85%. Put it back on charge and filled the sink up for the washing up. While things are soaking in there I thought I'd have a quick read through WC app as it was showing 5 new articles...and phone's now showing 100% charged. It was no more than 3 minutes between putting it back on charge and coming back to find it at 100%.

I'm thinking the 85% reading was incorrect. Anyone else had any quirks with battery percentage readings?

Sent from mTalk

anon(9603734)

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Cortana search is sometimes cutting off words. For example, I type in "breeds of dog", then press enter, but it changes the search phrase to just "breed".

Sent from mTalk

Ektalog

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
A few minutes ago I took my phone off charge thinking it should be 100% by now; it was showing as being 85%. Put it back on charge and filled the sink up for the washing up. While things are soaking in there I thought I'd have a quick read through WC app as it was showing 5 new articles...and phone's now showing 100% charged. It was no more than 3 minutes between putting it back on charge and coming back to find it at 100%.

I'm thinking the 85% reading was incorrect. Anyone else had any quirks with battery percentage readings?

Sent from mTalk

Paul, your entry is quite timely, I was wondering if I was seeing things. I first observed the same type of irregular behavior on Saturday. I even blamed the car charger for the "slowness" and thus bought a new one. Later, it happened again that day but I was not quite sure yet.

This afternoon I plugged it into the PC USB with a reported >50% charge. Much later on, when I picked it up expecting a full charge it reported 60% only! (Hours later I retrieved it and it does show 100%)

Furthermore, on Sunday I had to reboot the phone (due to my reported issues with some camera apps in this build). Upon rebooting, the battery indicator came back as 0! A quick reboot then came back reporting 100%. Go figure!

(This is a Lumia 1020 - US/ex-ATT)

I will check on the Cortana thing later tonight. I think I saw something like what you describe but ignored it thinking it was something else.

Kerry2112

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
Cortana search is sometimes cutting off words. For example, I type in "breeds of dog", then press enter, but it changes the search phrase to just "breed".

Noticed the same behaviour myself yesterday. Will leave feedback (or upvote if it already exists).

anon(9603734)

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
I will check on the Cortana thing later tonight. I think I saw something like what you describe but ignored it thinking it was something else.
Noticed the same behaviour myself yesterday. Will leave feedback (or upvote if it already exists).

Cortana search seems to be working fine now, it's no longer truncating phrases for me 👍🏼. I saw earlier today that a few people had reported this on Reddit for production mobile and PC builds as well, appears it was more a Cortana issue than a bug brought on by this build 🙂.

Sent from mTalk

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Very happy with this build. My observations: significantly longer battery life, 950 does not get hot anymore. No crashes till now.

pgoelz

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
L950, ATT

Bluetooth is still semi-broken for me. If a BT device (like my BT earpiece) disconnects, sometimes the phone will think it is still connected... the BT icon is still present in the notification area and even worse, there is no speaker audio because (I assume) the audio is still being routed to the now non-existent BT connection. When in this condition, BT shows as OFF under DEVICES >> BT AND OTHER DEVICES and cannot be turned on again unless you reboot.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
@pgoelz, I get this issue also...in a little different way: when I'm stretching for a run, I will listen to Groove via my BT headset; when getting ready to start the run, I will start my run tracking app - this causes a BT hiccup (no sound over headset, BT is still connected, needs a reboot to get working again) 50% of the time. grrr!

Other than that and Cortana not working well when BT is on, this build is doing fine.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
@pgoelz, I get this issue also...in a little different way: when I'm stretching for a run, I will listen to Groove via my BT headset; when getting ready to start the run, I will start my run tracking app - this causes a BT hiccup (no sound over headset, BT is still connected, needs a reboot to get working again) 50% of the time. grrr!

Other than that and Cortana not working well when BT is on, this build is doing fine.

This happens to me when I start playing music or a movie on BT and then start a run or workout on my Band. If I start the run/workout first, then turn on my headset, no issue. At least, not yet.

Since doing a hard reset, this issue happens a lot less than it was.

Ektalog

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
The current issues on my L1020:
- Camera use, mostly with "ProShot", "1Shot" & "Camera 1020" will sooner or not much later lead to a green screen - as viewfinder for any of the camera software loaded thereafter (including Camera & Lumia Camera). Only a reboot will cure it until the next time it happens. The normal Camera & the Lumia Camera apps do not seem to cause it easily, if at all. Other applications do not seem to be affected, except that if one has to reboot while using one of them...

- Battery seems (reportedly) to be draining faster than ever with the use of any camera app. The camera in the L1020 has always been a power hog but this is quite worse than with build 15226, which was great for this system. (Build 15223 may have been almost as bad on this as 15228 is, though not quite.)

- Battery levels are reported with recurring inconsistencies. Nothing like this seen in earlier 15xxx builds.

- BT: the jury is still out. I've seen my Fitbit like this build perhaps more than any before it. Yet, for the first time, the car's BT failed to sync from the start,as it always did in recent times.

- Reported by others and likely not phone related, Cortana seems to develop an "attitude", too random to tell. Someone may want to tell the system about the "Three Laws..." :))

(And is it me or do we have the ugliest emojies ever for the body texts in this forum? ...I do love the ones in the phone.)

pgoelz

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
This may not be a "bug" but if it is by design it is very annoying. When using my phone as a hot spot, when the last client disconnects (like when my laptop.... the only client.... goes to sleep) the hotspot turns off. I have to re-enable it each time I want to use it. The hotspot on my Android phone remains enabled regardless of whether there are connected clients.

Paul

Ektalog

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
This may not be a "bug" but if it is by design it is very annoying. When using my phone as a hot spot, when the last client disconnects (like when my laptop.... the only client.... goes to sleep) the hotspot turns off. I have to re-enable it each time I want to use it. The hotspot on my Android phone remains enabled regardless of whether there are connected clients.

Paul
It is by design (but not the build)...and it probably can be "fixed". I did in my L1020. If you are already breaking into the "registry" let me know and I'll find how I dealt with that and let you know. Unfortunately, I could only do this via registry hacks, (using Interop Tools). Most sane users may not want to mess around with this.

pgoelz

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
It is by design (but not the build)...and it probably can be "fixed". I did in my L1020. If you are already breaking into the "registry" let me know and I'll find how I dealt with that and let you know. Unfortunately, I could only do this via registry hacks, (using Interop Tools). Most sane users may not want to mess around with this.

I have not gotten into the registry yet. Not sure of I want to. Let me think on it.

Paul

Kerry2112

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
Maybe I'm speaking too soon, but I find it odd (and ominous) that there was a PC build released today but no mention of mobile. I would have expected at least a Dona tweet explaining why but, as of now, nothing.

Ektalog

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Maybe I'm speaking too soon, but I find it odd (and ominous) that there was a PC build released today but no mention of mobile. I would have expected at least a Dona tweet explaining why but, as of now, nothing.

Yes, it felt odd to me, too. I was expecting something, because this build has been a bit of a disappointment, primarily with the cameras and battery.

I suppose that debugging CU for the PC's is taking precedence over mobile, not that it should :wink:

Against all hope, I've kept rechecking for an update on my L1020 every hour or so today. After all, they still are open on the west coast...miracles can happen in an hour, LOL!

Topherious

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Dona did actually reply to a tweet where someone asked about a mobile build after she initially posted the photo with the upcoming PC build number.

"Not today, folks. We're grounded on that one."
https://twitter.com/donasarkar/status/883358973084131328

Maybe I am reading too much into her reply, but i'm not sure what she means by "grounded". They haven't added any new features for some time so I find it hard to believe that they have hit a major bug preventing them from releasing so I gather mobile is totally on the backburner now, at least until RS3 / FCU has been released.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos