Will you opt-out after the SCU hits?

Al Sacco

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
So, the Windows 10 "Spring Creators Update" (at least I think that's what it will be called), a.k.a., "Redstone 4," should be released any day now. It's definitely spring time. And I'm anxious for that official release. With Microsoft hitting the Redstone 4 release-to-manufacturers (RTM) milestone, it shouldn’t too far off.

For Insider Program members, a new major Windows release can mean it's a good time to opt-out for a while. Why? Read this useful post by Windows Central writer Mauro Huculak.

Will you opt out, or remain in the same Ring you're in? Why or why not?

The SilentMajority

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Yep, I'm opting out. Due to my reduced enthusiasm for the program with no new hardware. I'm waiting until fall to upgrade home computers. Until then the older units we have need the more stable software.

EssThree

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, since the last year's spring update (what was that called? The first creator's update? Man, this naming scheme is getting stupid) I've been jumping onboard near RTM and jumping back off again. Mostly because - I don't know if it's my desktop getting old or what - I'm finding the insider builds seem to be green screening more for no reason at all. even late in the development cycle.

Also I'm relying more on my desktop for doing work-work at home, so I can't put up with that reduced reliability. Honestly, come the RTM of Redstone 5, I will probably not even bother getting back onto the fast ring. Not enough is being added to justify the bugginess (unlike earlier builds of Win10, when it was a treat to get onto a new development branch ASAP).

Stephen Kirts

May 18, 2014
Visit site
I'll out on my SURFACE BOOK, probably not on my SURFACE PRO. I enjoy the thrill of new updates but also want a stable platform to do work.

JT Daddy

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
I can't even get the 17133 build saying I keep getting this error that says "windows could not configure one or more system components"

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Already stopped Windows Insider updates after this coming on the fast ring the other day. I will not re-opt into fast builds next time, just Slow. And even Slow, it will be well into its development cycle. I will tell you why:

No matter how cool the new features seem on the first batch of Fast ring updates, it's not worth the problems. And then, even on the Slow ring updates, something ALWAYS breaks part of my experience. Always. And guess what? Go Back to a Previous Build has worked *ONE TIME* for me. I have been on Insider since 2015. This means I have to redownload a new Surface image, and force it to boot from USB. But oops! I forgot to turn off Bitlocker!! Nevermind that getting the image is a PITA, and getting to boot from USB is a PITA, and the UEFI BIOS is a PITA, ….. grrr….

So, yeah I am done with Insider for a few months this time around. Same goes for my XBOX one s.

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I can't even get the 17133 build saying I keep getting this error that says "windows could not configure one or more system components"

My buddy is stuck on the Fall Update. I told him to re-image. Once Windows Update starts ******* up in Windows 10, its over. There are no fixes. Just reimage and save yourself a lot of headaches.

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
That looks like it costs money, which is something I'm trying to be strict about, so that looks like a no go for me...

Re-imaging doesn't cost anything really. You just need to back up your important data and make sure you can reinstall all the software you use. Just start over. I really cannot tell you why, in this day and age, Microsoft cannot do undo updates. But they can't.

Rahsna Asurac

Dec 2, 2016
Visit site
Will you opt out, or remain in the same Ring you're in? Why or why not?

On my work device, yes. It was never meant for that. But my real work device, SP4 i7, got a jumping screen all the time now, and heating it up, not longer works. Yes, heating it up.

On my insider PC? (Yes, I have got a dedicated test device!) Absolutely not.
In fact, I plan on changing from Fast ring to Skip ahead, as soon as that opens up again, for my country :)
I was originally in Skip ahead, but after having done the biggest quest in Feedback Hub there were (testing the new privacy OOBE, which required complete reinstall), I was thrown out of that ring. Apparently, that was Microsoft's way of thanking me for that tremendous task :p

Rahsna Asurac

Dec 2, 2016
Visit site
No matter how cool the new features seem on the first batch of Fast ring updates, it's not worth the problems. And then, even on the Slow ring updates, something ALWAYS breaks part of my experience. Always. And guess what? Go Back to a Previous Build has worked *ONE TIME* for me. I have been on Insider since 2015. This means I have to redownload a new Surface image, and force it to boot from USB. But oops! I forgot to turn off Bitlocker!! Nevermind that getting the image is a PITA, and getting to boot from USB is a PITA, and the UEFI BIOS is a PITA, ….. grrr….

But that is what it is all about :D!
It is all about the tech stuff and having to spend tedious time trying to figure out how to reproduce the bug. Then spend more time looking for any existing feedback in Feedback Hub that even sounds slightly similar, and if nothing is there already, spend even more time writing about it yourself, making sure you are not misunderstood in the process xD … and doing the repro one more time... then the Feedback Hub either crashes, or stops recording, or your bug is no longer reproduceable, while the recorder is on :grincry: … yeah ^_^

Last edited:

Hans Swolfs

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Not opting out this time... I did so after the FCU. But got back in when Timeline was introduced.

I have 2 devices : desktop on fast and my sp3 on skip ahead. I know I probably sign in again when a nice feature is released.

Also I must say that the 2 or 3 builds I got on Skip Ahead weren't as buggy as the first releases of the FCU.

So, no, Insider for life 😂

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Need to give my surface 3 a break, some dicey moments there and it's more a family tablet now, give the kids a break from waiting for updates each time they login lol

Other are work computers I need stability with

Dra_st

May 17, 2017
Visit site
I plan on remaining in the Release Preview or maybe even opting out completely once RS4 hits. I used to jump in and out of the Insider Program before the previous updates, so not sure whether I will be staying in this time around.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss