Dimming the NAV bar on an Nokia ICON?

Matthew Carr

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Hey all. I have an ICON running 10.0.15254.369 and in the evenings I use the Night Stand Clock app for what else my night stand clock. The only issue is that when the app is launched the NAV bar icons never dim and it stays up and running until the morning when I turn that alarm off along with the app (hence the NAV bar icons are lit up all night too). Does anyone know to permanently turn off the NAV bar back lighting? Thanks in advance for any help...

Matthew Carr

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
You know what is really weird about it, I got into work this morning and started the Night Stand Clock and the NAV bar lights are off. I am wondering if it is a AM/PM thing (no idea)...

Basil W

Jul 14, 2018
Visit site
Hey sorry no solution - I got one and really don't like the hardware nav - so much so I rebooted my 735 and although a bit smaller it's so much nicer !

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
You know what is really weird about it, I got into work this morning and started the Night Stand Clock and the NAV bar lights are off. I am wondering if it is a AM/PM thing (no idea)...
Are we talking the hardware keys here?
I think it is the ambient light sensor. If it detects lots of light then you should be able to adequately see them therefore they don't light up. in the dark they do almost every time. I could be wrong though.

Interestingly I found a way to make the hw keys turn off on the 1520 every time I toggled the brightness to the lowest settings. It was due to some registry edits. I too when using the 1520 in the dark wanted it to be dim but also the keys to be dim as well or off. I since ditched this method and made the software keys available on the 1520 instead...

I never tested this method on the ICON but I have one still and I could try it out and let you know.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone know to permanently turn off the NAV bar back lighting? Thanks in advance for any help...

I posted just a minute ago. But additionally to answer this particular question yes.

Turn them off with this registry value below:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\OEM\Nokia\Display\ColorAndLight]
"UserSettingKeyLightsEnabled"=dword:00000001

Change it to:
"UserSettingKeyLightsEnabled"=dword:00000000

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Are we talking the hardware keys here?
I think it is the ambient light sensor. If it detects lots of light then you should be able to adequately see them therefore they don't light up. in the dark they do almost every time. I could be wrong though.

Interestingly I found a way to make the hw keys turn off on the 1520 every time I toggled the brightness to the lowest settings. It was due to some registry edits. I too when using the 1520 in the dark wanted it to be dim but also the keys to be dim as well or off. I since ditched this method and made the software keys available on the 1520 instead...

I never tested this method on the ICON but I have one still and I could try it out and let you know.
@Matthew Carr
Ok the hack is actually pretty simple. My ICON is updated to 10.0.14394.2363.

Download this version of interop tools here. It is the one I used for now. Side load it of course by copying it to your phone and installing the ARM Dependencies, the cert, and the appxbundle package from the "3. th2 and higher" folder.

What I did then is I went to the Interop Unlock settings and toggled "Interop/Cap Unlock" to on. This will allow full registry access. Then I went to tweaks and toggled the "Enable brightness slider" to on. Reboot. That was it. Now every time my brightness slider is moved to the 0% mark the hardware key lights stay off. So I guess it is your choice. Disable permanently or use this hack.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12