Surface Pro 7 deal! Save big at Amazon right now

07-28-2018 08:28 AM
62 123
tools
    Differentiating is 👍
    07-13-2018 06:46 PM
    It's mind boggling that MS, in the midst of new 'Core' plans to cover all platforms would exclude mobile...Especially considering how fantastic WM10 is. Still using a beautiful Lumia 735. Also considering how many millions of people are sick to death of two choices that have become predictable and dull the time is right to keep pushing the mobile envelope. With the increase of hybrid apps, Xamarin etc there just has to be a pathway to success - as a WM10 user, I'm generally happy with the app store - it's the newer apps missing that's a pisser - case in point 'Venmo' - great app that I keep an iOS device to use on occasion. Some devs have managed to get play store on WM10 - it's not necessarily the app gap but more the fact that MS has no real significant social platform - ie the user's - something on Windows needs to tap that - ie connect your google and then perhaps emulate play apps. As for a new form factor - that would be incredible !
    07-13-2018 08:34 PM
    W10M on my HP Elite X3 still works just fine.
    07-14-2018 12:25 AM
    Too little, too late.

The folding screen will not be unique for long.

Microsoft have blown any trust in a communications OS. They know it. Hence their development for Android and iOS.
    theefman likes this.
    07-14-2018 02:04 AM
    Folding is an inevitable and logical solution to one of the few last remaining problems that smartphones currently have as a high usage personal daily computing platform ie the impracticality of their incredibly small (< 6") screen size.

There has been very little meaningful innovation in iPhone and Galaxy for many years. Spec and design refinements are fine but it is not innovation. Therefore IMO the "smartphone category" as we know it is almost certainly a walking dead category from here onwards...

We all need the next mobile innovation that will replace the decade old smartphone category and foldable pocketable computing (with telephony) shows great potential as the 'next big thing'.

The smartphone era has already ended. Bring on the pocketable computer era with all brands, designs and all OSes!
    07-14-2018 02:53 AM
    Define "getting back". In lemans terms, yes, it would obviously be enough. To win it, it would only be the first step. But it's still a must have for Microsoft. The real level here is not getting back, but keeping pace. Microsoft had been a clumsy, slow, lost giant in the market, and that is less than satisfactory.
    07-14-2018 06:29 AM
    This is my opinion and my opinion only. I'm excited about Andromeda. Yes yes I know. Microsoft could yet do it again. Get me all hyped up for a year or two and then move on to something else. I know all this yet I am excited anyway. Why? Because I MISS MY WINDOWS PHONE! I've been on Android for about a year now. Forced to move because I needed my sons Dexcom app which of course was not available on Windows. I have never missed an OS more than I miss W10M. Even when I was forced off Blackberry years ago did not compare to the hassle for me moving to Android from W10M. I'm a Microsoft guy. Everything I have is Microsoft. The missing piece in the ecosystem for me was mobile. W10M gave me that. The Cortana driving experience is unmatched in any other OS. THIS is why I'm excited about Andromeda. The return of W10M. I need it! Sure, I'm excited about the new hardware as well. Microsoft has had a vision of a single device for a long time. Moving towards a single powerful pocket foldable computer that also does telephony is the path they are on. I'm anxiously waiting for the first units to become available and I'll be there ready to move back. I'm just not a happy Android user and don't even get me started on iOS. What is everyone else's thoughts? Let's discuss. (Without bashing other opinions please)
    I echo a lot of the same thoughts as you here. I am now on Android, but only because MS ditched their own apps on Windows Phone. Everything I also have is MS based too. Andromeda sounds good, but for me, I don't think MS will be ever able to escape the spectre of Windows Phone, no matter how hard they try, and that will be the downfall of whatever mobile hardware they launch, if any.

For me, Android isn't that bad, compared to when I last used it on a Note 4. I can get the same MS apps on my Android device, and they get regular updates too. But I do miss the live tiles and whole PC integration that you don't really get on Android. The only thing that will let MS down with this is the same as with Windows Phone, no apps (that people want to use), no real marketing, and no global release for all models and MS services. MS needs to make sure all three of these points are solved before releasing any new hardware. Otherwise I am afraid it will just be another failure.
    Mark Kaplan likes this.
    07-14-2018 07:49 AM
    This is potentially a really interesting and exciting development. But what about the app gap? Would an Android emulator for Windows be developed to address this?
    07-14-2018 08:53 PM
    This is potentially a really interesting and exciting development. But what about the app gap? Would an Android emulator for Windows be developed to address this?
    No.

MS has stated many times that this will NOT be a smartphone, but a PC with phone capabilities. The difference is in the app ecosystem.

Do you think your PC has an app gap? I suspect not. Same thing applies here.

If you're NOT looking for a very portable touch enabled PC, but rather for a smartphone that runs apps, then iOS and/or Android has you covered.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    07-14-2018 10:24 PM
    No.

MS has stated many times that this will NOT be a smartphone, but a PC with phone capabilities. The difference is in the app ecosystem.

If you're NOT looking for a very portable touch enabled PC, but rather for a smartphone that runs apps, then iOS and/or Android has you covered.
    I stopped using a PC because of the app gap. I just have no use for one anymore. All I have now is an iPhone and an Xbox One S. Microsoft has to address the app gap of they want anything to succeed in the future.
    07-14-2018 10:35 PM
    Microsoft has to address the app gap of they want anything to succeed in the future.
    Nope.

At the moment MS has a grand total of zero mobile OSes and zero mobile device sales, yet they've never been more profitable. The areas where MS does well are expected to grow even faster going forward. It's obvious that MS can be plenty successful without addressing the app gap.

Maybe MS can't be successful with YOU, but that is a different statement entirely.

Short term
    , MS does still hope that you'll at least use their apps which they released into the iOS and Android ecosystems. For now that's all we'll get in regard to mobile apps.

Long term, MS can possibly participate in a PWA based mobile app ecosystem that is shared between Windows, iOS and Android.

Mid term, assuming Andromeda is launched, we'll have mobile devices which, when unfolded, provide a (hopefully) decent PC-like experience. When folded we'll largely be limited to the few continuum enabled apps MS ships with the device, as those apps will belong to the rare few whose UI's can adapt to smaller screens.
    Last edited by a5cent; 07-23-2018 at 06:50 AM. Reason: highlighted short/mid/long term sections
    tgp likes this.
    07-15-2018 12:17 AM
    Andromedia makes it sound like this is Android related...;)

Am wondering how compact they are designing this thing to be. Slab devices now unless you get one of the few sub 5 or 5 in screen ones barely fit in your hand let alone your Pocket...
    Timbre70 likes this.
    07-15-2018 02:50 AM
    No.

You're wasting your time. People are so hellbent on Microsoft having a smartphone that they can't see the trees for the forest.
    TgeekB, a5cent and tgp like this.
    07-15-2018 05:31 PM
    From Pocket PC, to Zune, to Phone, to Andromeda, and where are all these now? The question is, who's going to walk around with both a phone and a pocket pc, nada. The question is, what is andromeda going to need, that others cant and or dont? And how small can these things really be? I think a strong AR/VR/MR integration would be a good step. Honestly though that foldable concept dosnt really apeal to me, maybe more so in person but not so in pictures. And that mouse pad slap concept would be coo coo, i like the idea of a button less tablet style, no sensors other than wifi/bt and maybe gps, wireless charging, etc, should ms ditch andromeda, absolutely not, come on ms get ur fn head out of the fn box nd give me something new!!!
    07-15-2018 10:10 PM
    You're wasting your time. People are so hellbent on Microsoft having a smartphone that they can't see the trees for the forest.
    Maybe. I figure not many follow this stuff as closely as we do, and even here many initially had trouble understanding what MS is doing.

I keep correcting this sort of thing because if someone doesn't understand it then nothing MS does appears to make sense and discussions here become impossible because people have completely different perceptions of reality.

You may be right that the horse is dead, but I'm going to flog it a few more times just in case
    nate0, fatclue_98 and tgp like this.
    07-15-2018 11:31 PM
    Maybe. I figure not many follow this stuff as closely as we do, and even here many initially had trouble understanding what MS is doing.

I keep correcting this sort of thing because if someone doesn't understand it then nothing MS does appears to make sense and discussions here become impossible because people have completely different perceptions of reality.

You may be right that the horse is dead, but I'm going to flog it a few more times just in case
    Your horse analogy is good but slightly off. It should've been "you can lead a horse to water...…" you know the rest.
    a5cent likes this.
    07-16-2018 09:51 AM
    07-16-2018 09:23 PM
    So this is the latest from Panos: “Well, I would not say that that includes a Surface Phone." We've all been waiting for nothing....
    07-17-2018 12:08 AM
    I think Microsoft should just stop the secrecy crap and just announce this thing. In fact, when Microsoft announced they were putting Windows 10 Mobile in maintenance, they should have immediately followed by what is replacing Windows 10 Mobile. This allows consumers and developers to plan. By announcing Windows 10 Mobile going into maintenance without any replacement, this did further damage to the UWP app market, because some app developers didn't see the point of maintaning a UWP app if there was not going to be Windows 10 Mobile. I personally do not care about having a ton of apps. I just need core ones. The most important to me is Windows Maps, a music app, and an e-book app. I don't care about the social media apps. I don't care about shopping apps, because I make maybe two online purchases a month. I don't care about video apps. I don't watch videos when on the go. I don't care about banking apps because I just use the website on my PC for the two times a month I do banking. In fact, I just went through this process where I removed a lot of apps I rarely use; just to clean up the potential of background activity that I don't want consuming my battery. In fact, I would be interested in knowing what apps people use that really is so important. I have a feeling people love there phones and the apps they have on them because the apps relieve boredom when on the go. Jason Ward has an article about app statistics. It showed that most people only use a few apps on their phone. And those apps are what I consider entertainment/social apps. Lets admit it people; we fart around on our phones. Phones are addicting. Just go to the Google Play store and look at the top 100 free apps. They are mainly really stupid games. No. 2 "Kick the Buddy". That looks really dumb. I find it a little depressing that people are forking out $1000 for a smartphone so they can play games and communicating to people using their thumbs (which by the way is only slightly faster than Morse code in terms of words per minute). Anyways, Andromeda should be big enough to use most webapps that exist today that you would normally use on a PC, because Andromeda will also be a tablet (not just a phone). You should be able to get things done when on the go. And when at home, the Continuum will be really cool. You may not be able to play "Kick the Buddy" though.
    nate0 and a5cent like this.
    07-17-2018 02:02 AM
    They need to round out the app selection on W10, and make them all work on this, or it will fail. People will expect this to be a replacement for their Android or iPhone, not a second device to carry around. If it can't fulfill their needs (and as it is, it won't), it will fail.
    To steal an old tagline:
    "Android does what WinDon't"
    07-17-2018 08:18 AM
    They need to round out the app selection on W10, and make them all work on this, or it will fail. People will expect this to be a replacement for their Android or iPhone, not a second device to carry around. If it can't fulfill their needs (and as it is, it won't), it will fail.
    To steal an old tagline:
    "Android does what WinDon't"
    I couldn't use the Surface Go because of missing apps. None of the business apps I use all day are available. I need SalesForce, Concur, etc. Opening a browser and going to these services is a terrible experience for touch. When I am onsite with my customers I mostly use my iPhone since its do easy to get actual work done. I rarely take my work laptop out of my bag because it is so slow and clunky to get setup and find what I need. The Surface Go would be a great form factor of only it had the business apps I need.
    07-18-2018 12:16 PM
    So this is the latest from Panos: “Well, I would not say that that includes a Surface Phone." We've all been waiting for nothing....
    That depends on who you are talking to. Like mentioned already, many think the foldable Andromeda experience is meant to replace their SMARTPHONE. I don't blame folks...It might, or to them that could work out. I mean you have companies like Samsung LG or Huawei, who state they plan to launch a foldable SMARTPHONE device. This to me is just a tight spot for Microsoft...they want to kill off/taper off their mobile device priorities (specifically Windows 10 Mobile/SMARTPHONES), and then they expect at some point folks to adopt a foldable mobile device that is not a SMARTPHONE when Samsung or others are planning to release similar hardware but then calling theirs some of the greatest innovation in the history of the SMARTPHONE. There is obviously an innovation war out there. A war for your dollar too. I hope Microsoft niches this device well and correctly because folks who use a Samsung, LG, or whatever-droid device out there that start seeing an additional foldable flagship-innovation from their favorite SMARTPHONE maker will gladly try or buy one of theirs first.
    07-18-2018 04:15 PM
    That depends on who you are talking to. Like mentioned already, many think the foldable Andromeda experience is meant to replace their SMARTPHONE. I don't blame folks...It might, or to them that could work out. I mean you have companies like Samsung LG or Huawei, who state they plan to launch a foldable SMARTPHONE device. This to me is just a tight spot for Microsoft...they want to kill off/taper off their mobile device priorities (specifically Windows 10 Mobile/SMARTPHONES), and then they expect at some point folks to adopt a foldable mobile device that is not a SMARTPHONE when Samsung or others are planning to release similar hardware but then calling theirs some of the greatest innovation in the history of the SMARTPHONE. There is obviously an innovation war out there. A war for your dollar too. I hope Microsoft niches this device well and correctly because folks who use a Samsung, LG, or whatever-droid device out there that start seeing an additional foldable flagship-innovation from their favorite SMARTPHONE maker will gladly try or buy one of theirs first.
    I think you’re right Nate.
    MS is NOT making a foldable smartphone, but many people even on here think they are. They’re (maybe) making a foldable pocket computer with “telephony” ability. These would be geared towards business.
    The smartphone giants are designing foldable smartphones, which is what I think consumers may want.
    Two completely different animals.
    07-18-2018 05:34 PM
    I think you’re right Nate.
    MS is NOT making a foldable smartphone, but many people even on here think they are. They’re (maybe) making a foldable pocket computer with “telephony” ability. These would be geared towards business.
    The smartphone giants are designing foldable smartphones, which is what I think consumers may want.
    Two completely different animals.
    You're right about the business part and it works for Microsoft's sake, I agree in that too (business/enterprise first consumer second idealogy Microsoft has) in that's how it will be presented. Many Elite X3s sold to consumers even though it was primarily released at a corporate level. Maybe it's really up to Microsoft's Xbox division to release a gaming mobile smart phone as those appear to be on the rise. If anything that Microsoft division is more likely to release a smartphone for consumers. Cool to think of though that may never happen either
    07-18-2018 05:58 PM
    You're right about the business part and it works for Microsoft's sake, I agree in that too (business/enterprise first consumer second idealogy Microsoft has) in that's how it will be presented. Many Elite X3s sold to consumers even though it was primarily released at a corporate level. Maybe it's really up to Microsoft's Xbox division to release a gaming mobile smart phone as those appear to be on the rise. If anything that Microsoft division is more likely to release a smartphone for consumers. Cool to think of though that may never happen either
    I don’t know that much about Xbox to comment. Maybe a gaming smartphone for those people could gain interest.
    As for anything else I just don’t think enough people think of MS as being in the consumer business, at least not like Apple or Samsung.
    Interesting times ahead though.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-18-2018 06:06 PM
62 123