Andromedia....is it enough?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Maybe. I figure not many follow this stuff as closely as we do, and even here many initially had trouble understanding what MS is doing.

I keep correcting this sort of thing because if someone doesn't understand it then nothing MS does appears to make sense and discussions here become impossible because people have completely different perceptions of reality.

You may be right that the horse is dead, but I'm going to flog it a few more times just in case

Your horse analogy is good but slightly off. It should've been "you can lead a horse to water...…" you know the rest.

Jeffery L

Jan 13, 2018
Visit site
I think Microsoft should just stop the secrecy crap and just announce this thing. In fact, when Microsoft announced they were putting Windows 10 Mobile in maintenance, they should have immediately followed by what is replacing Windows 10 Mobile. This allows consumers and developers to plan. By announcing Windows 10 Mobile going into maintenance without any replacement, this did further damage to the UWP app market, because some app developers didn't see the point of maintaning a UWP app if there was not going to be Windows 10 Mobile. I personally do not care about having a ton of apps. I just need core ones. The most important to me is Windows Maps, a music app, and an e-book app. I don't care about the social media apps. I don't care about shopping apps, because I make maybe two online purchases a month. I don't care about video apps. I don't watch videos when on the go. I don't care about banking apps because I just use the website on my PC for the two times a month I do banking. In fact, I just went through this process where I removed a lot of apps I rarely use; just to clean up the potential of background activity that I don't want consuming my battery. In fact, I would be interested in knowing what apps people use that really is so important. I have a feeling people love there phones and the apps they have on them because the apps relieve boredom when on the go. Jason Ward has an article about app statistics. It showed that most people only use a few apps on their phone. And those apps are what I consider entertainment/social apps. Lets admit it people; we fart around on our phones. Phones are addicting. Just go to the Google Play store and look at the top 100 free apps. They are mainly really stupid games. No. 2 "Kick the Buddy". That looks really dumb. I find it a little depressing that people are forking out $1000 for a smartphone so they can play games and communicating to people using their thumbs (which by the way is only slightly faster than Morse code in terms of words per minute). Anyways, Andromeda should be big enough to use most webapps that exist today that you would normally use on a PC, because Andromeda will also be a tablet (not just a phone). You should be able to get things done when on the go. And when at home, the Continuum will be really cool. You may not be able to play "Kick the Buddy" though.

zr2s10

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
They need to round out the app selection on W10, and make them all work on this, or it will fail. People will expect this to be a replacement for their Android or iPhone, not a second device to carry around. If it can't fulfill their needs (and as it is, it won't), it will fail.
To steal an old tagline:
"Android does what WinDon't"

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
They need to round out the app selection on W10, and make them all work on this, or it will fail. People will expect this to be a replacement for their Android or iPhone, not a second device to carry around. If it can't fulfill their needs (and as it is, it won't), it will fail.
To steal an old tagline:
"Android does what WinDon't"

I couldn't use the Surface Go because of missing apps. None of the business apps I use all day are available. I need SalesForce, Concur, etc. Opening a browser and going to these services is a terrible experience for touch. When I am onsite with my customers I mostly use my iPhone since its do easy to get actual work done. I rarely take my work laptop out of my bag because it is so slow and clunky to get setup and find what I need. The Surface Go would be a great form factor of only it had the business apps I need.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
So this is the latest from Panos: “Well, I would not say that that includes a Surface Phone." We've all been waiting for nothing....

That depends on who you are talking to. Like mentioned already, many think the foldable Andromeda experience is meant to replace their SMARTPHONE. I don't blame folks...It might, or to them that could work out. I mean you have companies like Samsung LG or Huawei, who state they plan to launch a foldable SMARTPHONE device. This to me is just a tight spot for Microsoft...they want to kill off/taper off their mobile device priorities (specifically Windows 10 Mobile/SMARTPHONES), and then they expect at some point folks to adopt a foldable mobile device that is not a SMARTPHONE when Samsung or others are planning to release similar hardware but then calling theirs some of the greatest innovation in the history of the SMARTPHONE. There is obviously an innovation war out there. A war for your dollar too. I hope Microsoft niches this device well and correctly because folks who use a Samsung, LG, or whatever-droid device out there that start seeing an additional foldable flagship-innovation from their favorite SMARTPHONE maker will gladly try or buy one of theirs first.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
That depends on who you are talking to. Like mentioned already, many think the foldable Andromeda experience is meant to replace their SMARTPHONE. I don't blame folks...It might, or to them that could work out. I mean you have companies like Samsung LG or Huawei, who state they plan to launch a foldable SMARTPHONE device. This to me is just a tight spot for Microsoft...they want to kill off/taper off their mobile device priorities (specifically Windows 10 Mobile/SMARTPHONES), and then they expect at some point folks to adopt a foldable mobile device that is not a SMARTPHONE when Samsung or others are planning to release similar hardware but then calling theirs some of the greatest innovation in the history of the SMARTPHONE. There is obviously an innovation war out there. A war for your dollar too. I hope Microsoft niches this device well and correctly because folks who use a Samsung, LG, or whatever-droid device out there that start seeing an additional foldable flagship-innovation from their favorite SMARTPHONE maker will gladly try or buy one of theirs first.

I think you’re right Nate.
MS is NOT making a foldable smartphone, but many people even on here think they are. They’re (maybe) making a foldable pocket computer with “telephony” ability. These would be geared towards business.
The smartphone giants are designing foldable smartphones, which is what I think consumers may want.
Two completely different animals.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I think you’re right Nate.
MS is NOT making a foldable smartphone, but many people even on here think they are. They’re (maybe) making a foldable pocket computer with “telephony” ability. These would be geared towards business.
The smartphone giants are designing foldable smartphones, which is what I think consumers may want.
Two completely different animals.
You're right about the business part and it works for Microsoft's sake, I agree in that too (business/enterprise first consumer second idealogy Microsoft has) in that's how it will be presented. Many Elite X3s sold to consumers even though it was primarily released at a corporate level. Maybe it's really up to Microsoft's Xbox division to release a gaming mobile smart phone as those appear to be on the rise. If anything that Microsoft division is more likely to release a smartphone for consumers. Cool to think of though that may never happen either

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
You're right about the business part and it works for Microsoft's sake, I agree in that too (business/enterprise first consumer second idealogy Microsoft has) in that's how it will be presented. Many Elite X3s sold to consumers even though it was primarily released at a corporate level. Maybe it's really up to Microsoft's Xbox division to release a gaming mobile smart phone as those appear to be on the rise. If anything that Microsoft division is more likely to release a smartphone for consumers. Cool to think of though that may never happen either

I don’t know that much about Xbox to comment. Maybe a gaming smartphone for those people could gain interest.
As for anything else I just don’t think enough people think of MS as being in the consumer business, at least not like Apple or Samsung.
Interesting times ahead though.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I'm scared that the failure of Windows RT, Windows phone and Win 10 Mobile will have bigger consequences than we think. Down the road, 7 - 10 years, i'm thinking that we may see the total demise of Windows 10 on PC. Microsoft will be providing their Office 365 service suit for iPhones, iPads, and Macs, as well as for Android phones, tablets and Chromebooks. They will dominate cloud storage with their Azure service, and that's it. No one will need 'Windows' anymore...people will choose between Apple's 'App store', or Androids 'Google Play Store'. No need for a third option...just like way back in the 1980's, people had a choice between Apple's Macintosh and IBM's DOS operating systems. No 'third choice'. Right now, students are either on their iPhones and iPads, shopping the App Store, or they are on their Android phones, tablets, and Chromebooks, shopping the Google Play store. None of them are visiting Microsoft's Store. In 7 - 10 years, they will be in their early 20's, and the only place they will see Windows 10 OS is in businesses and stores.

zr2s10

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm scared that the failure of Windows RT, Windows phone and Win 10 Mobile will have bigger consequences than we think. Down the road, 7 - 10 years, i'm thinking that we may see the total demise of Windows 10 on PC. Microsoft will be providing their Office 365 service suit for iPhones, iPads, and Macs, as well as for Android phones, tablets and Chromebooks. They will dominate cloud storage with their Azure service, and that's it. No one will need 'Windows' anymore...people will choose between Apple's 'App store', or Androids 'Google Play Store'. No need for a third option...just like way back in the 1980's, people had a choice between Apple's Macintosh and IBM's DOS operating systems. No 'third choice'. Right now, students are either on their iPhones and iPads, shopping the App Store, or they are on their Android phones, tablets, and Chromebooks, shopping the Google Play store. None of them are visiting Microsoft's Store. In 7 - 10 years, they will be in their early 20's, and the only place they will see Windows 10 OS is in businesses and stores.
Exactly. They have dropped the ball so hard on mobile, that it crashed into the sub-sub-basement. And in 99% of consumers minds, Andromeda is a smart phone to be compared to iPhone and Android.

Jeffery L

Jan 13, 2018
Visit site
I wanted to add to my little app rant that Microsoft should do something exclusive with Xbox games for Andromeda. Gamers would buy Andromeda if it is a compelling mobile gaming platform that has license to play an Andromeda variant of Xbox games they have already purchased.

ED the new guy

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
This is my opinion and my opinion only. I'm excited about Andromeda. Yes yes I know. Microsoft could yet do it again. Get me all hyped up for a year or two and then move on to something else.

What is everyone else's thoughts? Let's discuss. (Without bashing other opinions please)

Too many Microsoft fans writing the same thing here over and over 😴.

I would dearly love to see an alternative to Android and iOS to keep them honesty but Microsoft isn't the one to pull it off.

Google had already, inadvertently perhaps, created the alternative: AOSP.

AOSP can access rich ecosystems of apps and offers a heavily streamlined UX.

For Microsoft to succeed in the mobile space it would need a killer form factor AND the patent portfolio to make that form factor exclusive.

It's the latter piece that I somehow doubt. Apple has been VERY busy registering patents as has Google.

Without patents to make an idea exclusive what is to stop Apple or Google from out Andromeding Andromeda?

Apple and Google have deep pockets and over a decade of rip roaring success in the mobile world.

If Andromeda was truly a threat do you honestly think that Apple and Google would be resting on their laurels?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Too many Microsoft fans writing the same thing here over and over .

I would dearly love to see an alternative to Android and iOS to keep them honesty but Microsoft isn't the one to pull it off.

Google had already, inadvertently perhaps, created the alternative: AOSP.

AOSP can access rich ecosystems of apps and offers a heavily streamlined UX.

For Microsoft to succeed in the mobile space it would need a killer form factor AND the patent portfolio to make that form factor exclusive.

It's the latter piece that I somehow doubt. Apple has been VERY busy registering patents as has Google.

Without patents to make an idea exclusive what is to stop Apple or Google from out Andromeding Andromeda?

Apple and Google have deep pockets and over a decade of rip roaring success in the mobile world.

If Andromeda was truly a threat do you honestly think that Apple and Google would be resting on their laurels?
Unfortunately you have fallen into the same category as those you bemoan. Andromeda is not a mobile OS platform. It's an ultraportable PC form factor with telephony services. It's not W10M redux.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately you have fallen into the same category as those you bemoan. Andromeda is not a mobile OS platform. It's an ultraportable PC form factor with telephony services. It's not W10M redux.
Flog it baby, flog it! Erm... or lead it to water... or whatever... you know what I mean.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I don’t know that much about Xbox to comment. Maybe a gaming smartphone for those people could gain interest.
As for anything else I just don’t think enough people think of MS as being in the consumer business, at least not like Apple or Samsung.
Interesting times ahead though.

Exactly this. MS keeps pushing that they are focusing on enterprises and businesses that when the time comes for them to need consumer support (and they will) there'll be nobody left to support them s whatever they try to launch will ultimately fail.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb