So, which did you choose?

mythos13

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
It is good that people are choosing different options but for those of us who have a high IPD I will stress the importance of the Samsung IPD adjustment. it's range of adjustment is 60mm - 72mm. My PD 72 so it is the only choice for me. About 1 in 20 have an PD > 70. I don't know what percentage have a PD > 67 but it would be significant, especially for males. The IPD adjustment on the Samsung Odyssey is mechanical so no software processing/distortion involved.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, nice to know it will reach 72 IPD, but only starts at 60? So us 59ers better not reach for the Samsung then. Better off with one of the others that can reach 59. Looks like the choice is certainly not cut and dried.

mythos13

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
What do you all think about the Pimax 8K and 8Kx? It's currently on Kickstarter.

It's intriguing tech and could be a disruptor. I definitely wouldn't buy one yet myself though. We don't when it will be available in quantity. It will be pushing a grand with all in. And the video card you'll need to drive it will cost more than that. And if you actually want to run the latest and greatest it will probably need an even better video card as soon as they're available. Lot of unknowns yet. I wonder if they might not have been better off a less demanding headset for the first one. It is unlikely that everything will fall in place for them but if it does it could be my next set in about a year. But we have no idea if and when AR is going to be integrated into consumer sets for Windows Mixed Reality either and that could also be a consideration before long. It's exciting times.

someoneinwa

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I tried out the HP and Lenovo headsets at the local Microsoft Store. I was drawn to the HP but the weight difference between the two is really noticeable, so I went with the Lenovo and saved $50. Both units fit my large head well and both were comfortable initially, but assuming a MR session is going to last a while, I think the lighter weight unit will be more comfortable over all.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
They don't need to be in the FoV.

Tracking is even as good as a Rift with 3 base stations. (so you even need to buy a 3rd Rift station to get the same tracking as a Windows MR headset has. (of which we know it needs Zero base stations)

SteamVR

Thanks for those, they're pretty helpful. However, you did say to another user that SteamVR is only supported through a beta Acer utility, did I read that right? Does that mean it is limited to Acer device functionality, or that there are issues with compatibility/performance as it isn't a fully finished product?

On the conotrllers, looks like it is good to go, but I can't help buy wonder how, exactly. That video, the guy had his arm raised pretty high. Maybe it's not in the FoV of the display, but up high so it's in the FoV of one of the other sensors. If that's the case, I wonder ho well it works if you have your arms at your hips.

Hoekie

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Tyou did say to another user that SteamVR is only supported through a beta Acer utility, did I read that right? Does that mean it is limited to Acer device functionality, or that there are issues with compatibility/performance as it isn't a fully finished product?.

All I know the utility can force access. SteamVR beta also works with other headsets like the HP.
When you have SteamVR beta access already.

It would be nice to have a clear date set for SteamVR access for everybody.
No big deal to me, I'm still finding out which Windows MR headset to get.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Same here, still trying to decide, but I'm not far from making the decision. I'm not going to buy into yet another Microsoft platform that can't give me better than "we'll give you content at an unknown date," given the way they treated Zune, mobile, Band, and Kinect. Tired of Microsoft's treating their platforms like a Kickstarter and asking for money before giving us a finished product.

I wanted to get a WMR headset at first, since they do not require the external sensors and have flip-up visors. However, I also want to have games to play, and between the lack of content on the W10 Store and Microsoft's absolutely laughable way of running "sales" and price drops means I absolutely will not buy into their total lack of value on the software side(Superhot VR) was about $7-8 cheaper on Steam than W10 the other day, and that's a pretty standard reality.

This is why the Rift and Vive are legitimate alternatives right now. WMR isn't cheaper on the hardware side (unless you buy into the low-end stuff from companies I wouldn't go with, like HP or Acer), and the software is more expensive.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Regarding SteamVR it's more than just an unknown date.
https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/using_steamvr_with_windows_mixed_reality
We will be making the preview available to all consumers on Steam Early Access this holiday season so stay tuned for a broader preview release.

So it'll be beta functionality sometime by year's end...that still isn't great. I mean, it's better, but even then, you're risking buying into a buggy experience without certainty of quality or long-term support. MS is good at both getting things functional before final release and taking their sweet time, to the point they'll delay features. Heck, they were supposed to release a new XB1 controller wireless receiver for PC in August, and at launch, they announced a delay until next spring.

If they get the preview release up and running before I do my new PC build, great. That would make WMR headsets an option once again. I'm still disappointed about the ASUS delay, it looked like such a cool and unique solution to the market.

BonzeUK

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Just noticed that the Dell headset controllers combo has been reduced at PCWorld by about £50 !

Puts it in the same price range as HP/Lenovo etc.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I wish the Visor came in black as well. It's probably my preferred headset out right now (since ASUS delayed theirs and Samsung's still a few days out...plus more expensive). I just hate that white so much.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
So, I was starting to think I'd go with he Samsung Odyssey, if I get a WMR headset. Then, I was reading the reviews, and they mentioned that the manual says to not use it with glasses. I went to their site to see what the manual actually says, and I find this on page 17:

"Do not put on the HMD when you are wearing glasses. Doing so may cause facial injuries. If you need corrective lenses, it is recommended that you wear contact lenses when using the HMD."

I don't have contacts, haven't worn them in years, and I'm not about to go spend hundreds to get some to use this thing. I am not sure if this is just to be a generic warning to cover themselves if the user is being an *****, or if these headsets legitimately have issues with glasses that I should worry about .When I tried the Rift, it put noticeable pressure on my face, and was unpleasant at first. I adjusted and was fine, but thought part of the reason for this flip-down design was to remove pressure from the user's face, which would be a boon to glasses wearers.

I'll be checking out manuals for other headsets about this, including the Rift. Hopefully they're not all saying WMR and glasses are a no-go. That would suck. Anyone got glasses and tried them out to comment?

BonzeUK

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I have the Dell visor and wear glasses with no problem, although it does have a hinge on the front.

Maybe the lack of hinge is the concern with the Samsung?

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
I actually found a fundamental issue with the Samsung unit (both mine and the one in the microsoft store)

It's got a manual IPD adjustment, which claims to go from 60-73mm - except that it *does not* if you check back in settings (it reports what it's set to back to windows) my unit says 60.325 and the one in the store is 60.573

this is a problem if you've got an IPD of 60 ... which is what I have

I would A) expect the units to behave consistently and B) have them go down to 60 (or slightly below) so they hit their specs.

I ended up getting a refund on my unit as text was ever so slightly off-kilter and was causing me eye strain

Also just because you're using a hardware IPD, it's a bad idea to lock out any potential software adjustment that windows can do to compensate for issue with the hardware not being in spec.

krisguy

VR Expert
Sep 30, 2007
Visit site
I tried out the HP and Lenovo headsets at the local Microsoft Store. I was drawn to the HP but the weight difference between the two is really noticeable, so I went with the Lenovo and saved $50. Both units fit my large head well and both were comfortable initially, but assuming a MR session is going to last a while, I think the lighter weight unit will be more comfortable over all.

Kris from VRHeads here.

I agree that overall, WMR headsets are easier on the face/head due to weight. If I had to do it again right now, I would buy the HP or Lenovo headsets instead of my Vive.

Also, for those worried about tracking, BT 4.0 and accelerators in the controls are used for positioning when controls are not in the FOV.

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to go with the Dell. I tried them at the Store and it's flip up top makes it easier to put on with my glasses.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon