So, which did you choose?

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
And why?

I went for the Dell Visor. The spec was not consistent across all sites, but all said the Dell has 110 deg fov. Often note was made that it was the most comfortable. Best cable routing. Doesn't have a proximity sensor like most, but I doubt detecting if it's on or off your face would be the most key feature and ought to be detected pretty well with the other sensors anyway. Saw good comments about build quality too, so hoping it is going to be stable. Hoping software IPD adjustment works well. What was your thinking?

Hoekie

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm still undecided, but leaning towards the Dell Visor too.
I first want to read the final reviews today tomorrow before I decide which one to get.

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm aiming for the Dell Visor. The one from Samsung looks good but not that better than the rest, and honestly, having fixed headphones is not a plus for me. Headphones break, I'd rather have the option to use any I have around.

The rest seem all equally good to me, maybe the Acer one isn't that cool, looks too plastic-y.

What does the proximity sensor do exactly? I thought it was for checking if you're running into a wall.

There's a new one announced from Fujitsu too!

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
What didn't help was the significantly variable specs for many devices in reviews. At least the reviews of the Dell headset were consistent about the 110 deg. FOV. Can't say that about most of the other devices except the Samsung.

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
What didn't help was the significantly variable specs for many devices in reviews. At least the reviews of the Dell headset were consistent about the 110 deg. FOV. Can't say that about most of the other devices except the Samsung.

The reviews for it also talk about comfort and how it has sweat proof material for the padding. I guess these will all be really similar but with time the reviews will let us know the specific strengths of each.

Mellifluous

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I went for the Dell visor as well, the Samsung looks like it won't be in the UK for a while and the visor looks best of the rest. I like it so far, not too heavy, fairly easy to get used to. Wish the box it came in is smaller though!!

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Nice. I'm picking it up from the depot tomorrow. Don't miss the Samsung. Oled is fine and I love it, but so is LCD which has it's advantages as well. Built in headphones are a negative. It has proximity sensors which are not a significant thing IMO. It does have IPD sensors but I guess these just detect glasses? Useful-ish once for some. Manual software adjustment will set that right. It does have a hardware IPD adjustment wheel, but how often will that matter? Set it once with Dell (in software) and you should be good to go. I have some Samsung devices but they are patchy. Some are great (lovely printer) but some are awful (never buy a Samsung optical drive). My mate (an ITV studio engineer) is appaled at the Samsung phone build quality, telling me it is almost held together by sticky tape. The reports of Dell build quality for these headsets are significant. What do you think so far?

CuddleBunni

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I went with the HP dev kit back when they were first announced. Not sure if I regret it compared to the other models. The proximity sensor is located within the HMD near where your forehead goes. When it detects your face is close it will disable mouse and keyboard input outside of the MR space.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
The HP set looks fine, though I'm nor clear about its FOV which drove me away. Is it 110 degrees? Thing about the proximity sensor is, WMR is able to detect the headset is in use via other sensors I believe (from reading the tech docs). Even if this is an issue, manually switching to VR mode would be my preference anyway. Just seeing how patchy Continuum is on laptop convertible devices at detecting tablet mode conditions tells me manual is the way to go. A proximity sensor just seems like something to go wrong. I suppose I'll find out for sure tomorrow.

Mellifluous

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
At the end of the day it's plastic so feels a like creaky when trying to adjust etc and takes a while to find optimal head and eye alignment, otherwise build quality is fine, it has nice cushioning on it for head, neck and nose. Haven't experimented with the IPD yet, I'm guessing this is the calibration in the settings? (currently mine is 65mm)

I've only tried a few things but once this is done it works well. Flipping the visor up and down is essentially like a proximity sensor I think? This affects whether sound and vision is fed to the visor and flipping it up will make your pc output sound rather than headphones.

CuddleBunni

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I think it is 90 degrees by default and 100 with MR "Ultra" or whatever it is. It is my first HMD though so I think it is fine. I agree that manually switching to VR mode might be preferable. Sometimes I just want to peek out of the headset and click on something without hitting win + Y first or flipping the visor all the way up.

The only thing I regret about pre-ordering is how poor the experience was for developers who pre-ordered the kit. I didn't get motion controllers so I'll have to pick them up separately and there weren't any good samples in the store to use for reference. The documentation is mixed up between WMR and HoloLens for anything but Unity development so it has been hard to get started...

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Actually, the Dell headset does have a proximity sensor. You can see the eye if you look in the headset. If you take off the headset without lifting the visor it detects this has occurred and you need not flip, I have tested it. Just poor spec info in reviews. I have my IPD set at 60 but I wish there was a test card for this. Anyone know if there is one about anywhere?

Mellifluous

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Originally posted by AndyCalling
Actually, the Dell headset does have a proximity sensor. You can see the eye if you look in the headset. If you take off the headset without lifting the visor it detects this has occurred and you need not flip, I have tested it. Just poor spec info in reviews. I have my IPD set at 60 but I wish there was a test card for this. Anyone know if there is one about anywhere?

For ipd just use a ruler to measure distance between centre of one eye to centre of the other, it's fairly easy.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
And why?

I went for the Dell Visor. The spec was not consistent across all sites, but all said the Dell has 110 deg fov. Often note was made that it was the most comfortable. Best cable routing. Doesn't have a proximity sensor like most, but I doubt detecting if it's on or off your face would be the most key feature and ought to be detected pretty well with the other sensors anyway. Saw good comments about build quality too, so hoping it is going to be stable. Hoping software IPD adjustment works well. What was your thinking?

We got the Acer for development and preordered the Samsung unit for myself!

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Kind of an off-topic response, but I'm leaning towards the Oculus Rift myself. Launching without SteamVR support ready was a really big mistake, IMO. I want to see, factually, how SteamVR operates, compared to the Rift and Vive, before I consider a WMR device worth a purchase (speaking as a Lumia buyer, I think most here can get my trepidation over software support on a Microsoft product).

Since WMR headsets are fundamentally different in how they track, I don't want to buy a device, only to find out the inside-out tracking leaves the controllers a bit less usable or limits SteamVR library support. I haven't gotten to read up on how stuff plays with WMR, but after reading that the controllers need to be in the FoV, I am disappointed. There's an archery Early Access SteamVR game named Quivr, which I imagine involves reaching behind one's head to draw arrows. How would WMR handle such an action in a SteamVR game (or the Rift's Robo Recall)? Too many unknowns to want to buy in. Plus, Microsoft is traditionally atrocious in pricing digital game purchases, so I'd rather know I can get SteamVR games at a discount than be forced onto the Windows Store until SteamVR support comes (Superhot VR is $25 on W10, but on-sale for $18.75 on Steam right now).

Haven't gotten to compare the Vive to the Rift, but really enjoyed my cousin's Rift, speaking as someone who generally sneered at it for becoming part of Facebook. That said, I'm still waiting on Vega to be available with aftermarket cooling before I do a new PC build, which will be for a VR headset. If WMR can get SteamVR support in the next 4-6 weeks (when I'll be doing the build), I will look at it for sure.

I'm really disappointed the ASUS headset got delayed. The idea it would use a single 3K display sounded really interesting, unique, and cool. IDK if I could hold out until it launches, I want to get a VR device sooner than later. However, I think they did the best job to differentiate in the market with the visual design AND that display setup. Can't say I'm too fond of the other WMR devices out now. I don't like HP, Lenovo, or Acer in general, which would lead me to want the Dell Visor, but I don't like the white on it. Samsung's is a pretty noticeable step up in price, and I'm generally not a fan of their displays, so I'd want to see that theirs doesn't have the traditionally oversaturated colors of a Samsung display before I pulled the trigger on that.

One thing though, I'm glad there are so many options. Microsoft did a half-hearted job when it launched WP7 under 3 device partners. That we've got 5-6 known, quality companies putting out WMR headsets can only be a good thing for the future of the platform.

mythos13

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
The Samsung is in a league of it own and the best heatset on any platform available today. I preordered it and it will be my first VR headset and I want it now. I would have gone for the Samsung regardless because of the AMOLED lens, FOV, build quality, built-in headphones and mic but I have a high pupil distance so Samsung is the only choice for me with its IPD adjustment. The WMR IPD software adjustment is not as good and doesn't adjust as much

Hoekie

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Since WMR headsets are fundamentally different in how they track, I don't want to buy a device, only to find out the inside-out tracking leaves the controllers a bit less usable or limits SteamVR library support. I haven't gotten to read up on how stuff plays with WMR, but after reading that the controllers need to be in the FoV, I am disappointed.

They don't need to be in the FoV.
Starts at 2:15
https://youtu.be/CfuVRXLdneE?t=136
Tracking is even as good as a Rift with 3 base stations. (so you even need to buy a 3rd Rift station to get the same tracking as a Windows MR headset has. (of which we know it needs Zero base stations)

SteamVR
Starts at 13:48 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCePqD3Mc3Y&feature=youtu.be&t=827

Last edited:

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
A few things. Firstly, tracking works really well. Secondly, IPD adjustment (on the Dell at least) only goes from 59 to 67, not 70 as I initially 'remembered'. This means people with freakishly extreme IPD need to think carefully. Just got mine confirmed by the optician as 59 (had it set at 60 by eye) which means my freakishly extreme IPD just squeaks through. Finally, whilst the Samsung seems a good HMD I would not consider it the obvious choice as it has down sides. It is Amoled, which some like and some don't. There are benefits and down sides to display tech preference. It has a little higher vertical res, but that leads to slower frame rates. It has hardware IPD controls, but being hardware is a minor point as you only set it once. There is no info I've seen on the range of IPD available though, so it may still be limited to 59-67. I restate, us freaks need to be careful. The Samsung also has no visor you can raise (stuck down like the Vive/Occy) and forces you to use built in audio, so your premium headset can't be used, and who would buy a set of Samsung headphones given a choice? Not me. So, Samsung is an option, and a good option, but far from the obvious choice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism