Good computer for using MR?

Theonlyix

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone recommend a good cheap computer, preferrably portable, that can use mixed reality.
Its really annoying that out of our 6 tablet from SP1 to SP4 none seems to be able to use MR.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't pick up my headset until tomorrow, but I suggest you consider the number of CPU cores because that should be a significant factor for the multiple tasks MR has to handle beyond the main package or game you are running. A Ryzen would be good value for that. I would add the best vid card you can muster. So a Ryzen with a GTX 1080 would be good as a 1080ti or Titan has a bit of a premium on the price.

onemoredave

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
^what he said.

While there are a few games that run quite will on my Surface Pro 2107 (i7/256) namely Space Pirate Trainer and Superhot. There's a thread on what WMR games will run on very low end hardware here.

It all comes down to the graphics card (mostly) and it is an exceptionally crap time to be buying a standalone GPU with the inflated prices due to mining demands. Consider some pre-built desktops from HP/Asus/Dell (I can't believe I'm saying that!) with a minimum of a 1060 or greater. A 1070 or 1080 will be better of course and will look and play much nicer.

A small portable VR gaming rig? Well yes maybe, but not cheap. Check out something like this which will serve you well.

Hope that helps,
Dave

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers