11-08-2017 04:40 PM
    How the hell is that site the breaking news source for this?

Still, good stuff. Just need the aftermarket Vega cards to come out and the new Micro Center ad on 11/13 to give some good deals on components. That, and still have to decide on which WMR headset will be in the running against the Vive and Rift for my money. Wish that ASUS one weren't delayed...ugh.
    11-08-2017 07:30 PM
    Just consider your cans as well as your headset. No point expecting something with over ear to fit (so 50mil drivers are pretty much a no go), and earbuds are never my plan A. I'm using some Lucidsound LS20s (the 30s or 40s have bigger ear pieces and will cause issue) which fit UNDER the Dell headband, but a headset with less front/rear padding may well struggle with that approach. Also, any cans with bulky headband hinges will be a problem. If you try putting a set on over the top of your headset you'll have issues keeping them on whilst gaming and will get a poor seal.
    11-08-2017 08:25 PM
    I'm the Ambassador over at VR Heads, and I also demo WMR headsets in Best Buy for Xmas. I cannot wait to see how many people ask about this and then get mad because I cannot show them anything about it, because it is beta/preview. I do like the idea of this, but unless I can demo it, I don't see many sales changing just because of this. I'm happy about it, however. My Vive is almost too heavy to play games like Fallout and Arizona Sunshine after using the HP WMR headset.
    11-09-2017 02:57 PM
    Me headset is the Arctis 7 from Steelseries. It uses 40mm drivers, and its headband seems considerably thinner than that of the Lucidsound LS20. The reason I consider the earbuds is because some games aren't about spatial/great audio. Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is about taking directions from the other person, and that is tough with headphones on, be it a traditional set or the built-in ones you find on a Rift for the Samsung WMR device. However, in-game audio isn't that important as a whole, so using one earbud from a set of earphones lets you hear the necessary in-game sound while having an ear free for following direction from your playing partner.

Not sure what stops someone from using the demo/preview though. Isn't it just a Steam utility you download? Or is there an enrollment program you have to be a part of? If the latter, what stops you from signing up for it?
    11-09-2017 05:18 PM
    Not sure what stops someone from using the demo/preview though. Isn't it just a Steam utility you download? Or is there an enrollment program you have to be a part of? If the latter, what stops you from signing up for it?
    You have to have a Windows Mixed Reality headset running normally on a Windows 10 Fall Creator's PC, then you install Steam just like on any Windows PC. Within Steam, install SteamVR and the Steam VR Mixed Reality software.

To my earlier comments, Microsoft's Retail Demo software stops installation of non-Microsoft approved apps. It doesn't stop Steam installs, but it blocks the Steam composter from projecting to the HP headset. If there is a way around it, I'll figure it out.
    Keith Wallace likes this.
    12-05-2017 08:49 AM