Great things to show off Windows Mixed Reality

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Since so many VR posts around the Internet are focused on Rift and Vive, it's hard to see how those articles apply to Windows Mixed Reality. Like how a game runs on WMR versus the others. So I thought people could help each other here.

I just played Space Pirate Trainer on my Samsung HMD Odyssey and that is an AMAZING GAME no matter what PC you have. I even play it on my Surface Pro 2017 and it runs like a beast with low graphics settings. I also play it on my desktop which has an AMD Ryzen 1800X with RX480 GPU and it runs fantastic at the highest settings. It's an arcade shooter where you stand there and waves of enemies come at you and you shoot them. You have a wide variety of guns and you can dodge bullets like in The Matrix. You get slowdown effects which gives you time to try to dodge as well as audio cues when the bullets get close to you.

I also found Holotour a good showcase at parties.

And I think Halo Tour is fantastic on a desktop PC with a good GPU. Unfortunately, it sucks on the Surface Pro 2017 machine I have.

What hopefully someone can help me with is if there is a spectator mode so that I can see on my Surface Pro 2017 what the person who is wearing the headset is seeing. Because when I show it to friends and they wear it, I can't guide them right now because I can't see what they're doing. I know the integrated Intel GPU may not be strong enough to run the VR headset and a view of the headset on the laptop screen but I hope there's an option.

mythos13

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
If your computer meets the specs of WMR Ultra you can watch on your monitor. Just hit the play button on the bottom of the WMR portal screen.

Some of video aggregators like Amaze3D, Jaunt, Inception, Arte360 have some good stuff that someone new to VR can just observe.

Also grab the 360 Viewer from the Microsoft Store then on YouTube search for "Angel Falls 360 8K Full version. Once the video starts click the WMR icon on the toolbar to put it in immersive mode. Whoever I show this too is amazed. Also search for "Dubia 8K 360", there are a couple really good ones.

Have you installed SteamVR yet? If so, Google Earth Vr always goes over very well in a demo too

dirtyvu

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
If your computer meets the specs of WMR Ultra you can watch on your monitor. Just hit the play button on the bottom of the WMR portal screen.

Some of video aggregators like Amaze3D, Jaunt, Inception, Arte360 have some good stuff that someone new to VR can just observe.

Also grab the 360 Viewer from the Microsoft Store then on YouTube search for "Angel Falls 360 8K Full version. Once the video starts click the WMR icon on the toolbar to put it in immersive mode. Whoever I show this too is amazed. Also search for "Dubia 8K 360", there are a couple really good ones.

Have you installed SteamVR yet? If so, Google Earth Vr always goes over very well in a demo too
Thanks for the reply! Yeah my surface pro isn't powerful enough to allow monitor playback so it's hard to demo to friends at work Bc I can't walk it through with them. At friends' houses people are more patient. No way I'm bringing my desktop to work but at a friend's place it's a maybe.

Yes I have steamvr installed. I'll try out Google earth.

For videos, the ultra HD and above resolutions require really good internet. The buffering takes out the fun for the impatient people. It'd be better if YouTube allowed downloading of the high resolution videos. I know the lower res ones are easy to download but they're so ugly in vr.

mythos13

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
You can download 4K video Downloader to download videos in hires Mpeg4, then you can play them with Movies and Videos app in Cliffhouse

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I tried to download the 8K video for the Angel Falls aerial through the 4K video downloader and the highest option is 4K 360 at 1.9 GB. I also see the video at 639 MB 4K 360. However, when I play back the video on YouTube, it shows an 8K option. Is the 8K video in YouTube showing up as 4K 360 in that program?

mythos13

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes the 1.9GB version is the right one. The formats are confusing. We shouldn't even be able to tell the difference between a 4K and 8K video in Windows Mixed Reality because even with their higher resolutions they are still not 4K. But I can definitely see the difference so I pass it off as format confusion and/or YouTube compression. That 1.9GB version looks amazing in WMR

krisguy

VR Expert
Sep 30, 2007
Visit site
Also, great still content is 360cities.net. Amazing photography from all around the world that works in the photo viewer!

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for this. I've been looking for things like this to show my wife

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar