New to WM - Few Simple Questions

MMaggio

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
Hello all,

I am new to Windows Mobile, but looking to get the Samsung Omnia Verizon is now offering. I do have a few questions though before proceeding:

1. How does WM handle receiving text messages over 160 characters? I tested this at the store on a phone running WM6.0 and it just cut it off. I have read though that it should break the message up into multiple messages, so I hope WM6.1 does this?

2. I like the abc def... keypad with predictive text (like what comes in the simpler Verizon phones called T9Word). Is it possible to set the keyboard of your choice as the default (to always appear when entering text) so I don't have to select the one I want every time?

3. I've used a Pocket PC a couple years ago and I know it was possible with this but not sure about cell phones; when updated versions of WM come out, for example when WM7 comes out, would I be able to upgrade my Omnia to this version? Or whatever version OS a phone ships with is what its stuck with?

Thank you very much!

Matt.

dougsyo

Nov 25, 2008
Visit site
for #3, I don't know what the norm for upgrades is, but a number of phones running WM5 were able to upgrade to WM6 for free (HTC 8525 for example), and I was able to upgrade my WM6 Blackjack II to WM6.1.

I expect I may be able to go to WM6.5 on my BJ (if it's worth the hassle of doing, doesn't restrict GPS, etc). I don't count on going to WM7 because of resource requirements.

Unfortunately I don't count on the phone-store clerks to be able to answer this.

Doug

kraski

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
#1 - messages over 160 characters are normally received as multiple test messages.

Interesting. I have a friend who texts me regularly. On occasion, she goes over the 160 character limit. In those cases, I only get one message with the first 160 characters. I'm on ATT & I think she's on Verizon. So, there may be phone or carrier limitations.

TopDog

Apr 21, 2008
gauteweb.net
The SMS thing must be a carrier issue.

I've had Windows Mobile as my mobile OS for years, and have always received multiple SMS messages (a message over 160 signs will always be sent as multiple SMS'es) as one long message.

xmissyx

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Interesting. I have a friend who texts me regularly. On occasion, she goes over the 160 character limit. In those cases, I only get one message with the first 160 characters. I'm on ATT & I think she's on Verizon. So, there may be phone or carrier limitations.
I believe there is. I have tried text messaging friends on other carriers and I will actually get a message back from Verizon saying that only VZW users will see all of the text.

I have the Touch Pro 2 with Verizon and I don't get an option for T9, although there is an XT9 which seems to predict what I am going to type. I turned off that particular mode because it annoyed me. I may go back to it because I didn't like SureType on my Blackberry Pearl but then I ended up using it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett