Questions about WM (and Some HTC TP2 questions)

ikith

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
1. Is there push email?

2. Do I need exchange to get push email?

3. Do I need exchange to backup contacts?

4. I'm coming from a blackberry so is there something like BBDM or is it all through exchange or?

5. How are software updates done?

6. Do I have to buy upgrades? For example from 6.1 to 6.5?

7. Is there threaded SMS and MMS?

8. Is threaded SMS and MMS integrated or is it extra?

9. Hows the touch screen? Do you have to use the stylus a lot or can you use fingers?

10. Is there a way to put a password on the phone so I have to type a password in before I can unlock the phone?

DarrenHumphries

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
1. Is there push email?

Yes. With Windows Mobile you can get push email using a hotmail account. I just have all my other emails forwarded to hotmail and works like a charm. You can also use Gmail for push email but I find there is a bit more of a delay with their push.

2. Do I need exchange to get push email?

Nope.

3. Do I need exchange to backup contacts?

No. You can sync contacts with Hotmail but I actually prefer syncing calendar and contacts with Google. It really actually is an Exchange server they use, just limited settings. Also, you can backup contacts to Outlook on a desktop.

4. I'm coming from a blackberry so is there something like BBDM or is it all through exchange or?

As mentioned above.

5. How are software updates done?

To the OS? Generally they are through the carrier. Updates to software you install are best handled using the Windows Mobile Marketplace. It will tell you there is an update and ask if you want to install. You can also just install from the software vendor. Some software has automatic update notification already built in.

6. Do I have to buy upgrades? For example from 6.1 to 6.5?

Generally no, but that decision is from the device manufacturer. HTC Touch Pro2 update is free, I think.

7. Is there threaded SMS and MMS?

Yes, built in and can be turned on and off.

8. Is threaded SMS and MMS integrated or is it extra?

built in.

9. Hows the touch screen? Do you have to use the stylus a lot or can you use fingers?

For some boxes you may want to use the stylus, but that will be rather infrequent. I rarely use mine.

10. Is there a way to put a password on the phone so I have to type a password in before I can unlock the phone?

Yes, Windows Mobile includes screen locking.

Darren

Editor, MobileJaw.com
Microsoft MVP (Windows Mobile)
twitter.com/DarrenHumphries

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes