mail2web, goosync or other?

riChchestMat#WP

Nov 24, 2008
Visit site
The automatic sync doesn't have push yet. The option is in the SyncML software but GooSync's website say not to turn it on. It's unclear if the application window needs to remain open (minimised) for this to work or if it runs as a service.
SyncMyCal needed to run and it kept getting closed by WM so the auto-sync was pretty useless.
GooSyn will sync tasks but so far I don't have any setup. I've not used Remember The Milk.

There's been no scrambling so far but I started with an empty PIM on my Treo after Sprite messed it all to hell and back. So I started with a Reload Device option. Sync'd in my main calendar and a couple of read-only calendars plus my contacts. All okay so far but it's not been 24 hours yet!

UPDATE:
Yup as feared the autosync only works when the app is running minimised

Last edited:

questionfear

Nov 4, 2006
Visit site
So goosync has to be running in the background to sync...and the tasks don't really sync well...

Darn.

I might bite the bullet and trial one of the exchange setups. It occured to me that since goosync doesn't seem to affect activesync, i can goosync my calendar and get everything back that gets wiped when i delete my work pc from activesync. Same with tasks, except I can get them back from Missing Sync. Plus I can always do an SPB backup of just my PIM and restore from that if I have to as well.

Maybe when I have some free time (ha!) I will tackle trying this and report back on my success via someone like 4smartphone. Of course, as soon as I get that up and running no doubt google will come up with a native sync or something. ;)

riChchestMat#WP

Nov 24, 2008
Visit site
Why do you think tasks don't sync well? I haven't tried that myself.

This is probably worth another thread but I want to get googlemail to push (google supports it but pocket outlook doesn't). I'm not keen on versamail and seven is a bit clunky for my liking (also doesn't push fast enough) so I'm working my way down a list. I've just tried mobipush which is an ActiveSync type pusher but it doesn't support HTML or non english text.

Last edited:

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
Goosync only has to be running in the background if you choose the Autosync option. I've reached out to Goosync on the shuffling of contact data and hope to have my review done by the end of the week.

I'm hoping I had the wrong sync option chosen to create the mixed up contacts and duplicate appointment entries. The duplicate appointments are easy to fix but trying to find out the messed up contacts can be challenging.

I'm thankful I had them backed up before this happened.

riChchestMat#WP

Nov 24, 2008
Visit site
Are you testing the paid version or free version? The free version will duplicate if you have appointments in your phone that are in read-only calendars in Google. That's one reason why the paid version is important.
If your online copy of contacts/appointments are correct then try the Reload Device option (or vice versa). This wipes the slate clean before restoring with a slow sync.

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
I'm evaluating the premium version. I've reached out to Goosync support but what I'm thinking happened was that during the Slow Mode sync, the data fields weren't matched up correctly. I'm going to change everything to Normal Mode and see what happens later tonight.

riChchestMat#WP

Nov 24, 2008
Visit site
I've soft reset my Treo and the goosync kicked in according to the auto schedule after all. There's a shortcut in my Startup folder after all. I'm unsure if the autosync will continue between resets when the app has been close manually or by the memory manager.

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
Going to "Normal Mode" helped tremendously. I haven't heard back from Goosync but it looks like if there's an interruption in the synchronization, the sync mode reverts back to "Slow Mode" where everything is thrown on the server and filtered back to WM and Google.

My guess is somehow the filtration process got botched and shuffled my contacts as well as duplicating the appointments. So far I've done four syncs without an issue. I just have to make sure Goosync is in "Normal Mode".

I'm moving on to Nuevasync and then a few others. I should have a big OTA Roundup ready to send to the editor by first of next week.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro