Two questions and issues

dnmartin98

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,

Picked up my Samsung Focus last night and so far loving it. Two things that are buggin me so far though....

1. Can't tell/not sure if having it connected to wifi will override using cellular data. Sure, I can turn off cellular data in the settings but that is a pain to do it each time. Any thoughts?

2. It seems impossible to find the MAC address of the phone. I have seen a number of questions on other forums. My work LAN requires MAC addresses to be entered into a database before allowing connectivity. Seems like MS forgot this little detail or it didn't make the cut.....ouch. I guess I could use my homenetwork to try and find the MAC address but that is a real pain....

Other than that...looking good. Didn't do a SD card yet because of the MS advisory that was sent to AT&T yesterday...see post in Samsung Focus forum for details on that....

Cheers,

DavidM

pikacz

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
1. Can't tell/not sure if having it connected to wifi will override using cellular data. Sure, I can turn off cellular data in the settings but that is a pain to do it each time. Any thoughts?

it's a problem known on other forums too, but from what i read wp7 prioritizes wi-fi connection over cellular data but just to be certain i'd keep the latter disabled. it is a pain until hopefully a 3rd party switch/on-off toggle tile appears in the market. MS cannot expect that everyone has unlimited data plan, it would be android all over again, but they have apps for that (apn droid etc.)

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
You can always look under Settings --> Wifi and it will say "Connected" and the Wifi network.

WP7 always chooses wifi over 3G when available

siradude

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,

2. It seems impossible to find the MAC address of the phone. I have seen a number of questions on other forums. DavidM

To get the mac addres you need to follow these steps (warning! use with care)

Step#1...Dial ##364# a grey screen will appear with a number pad
Step#2...Dial *#1234#

VIOLA!

Or in step#2 use this code:
Step#2...dial *#0*# and the LCD test will pop up

Got the info from here:
Samsung Focus Does Tethering On WP7; Access MAC And LCD Test

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member